PDA

View Full Version : DSP FX

bcorkery
03-27-2015, 12:17 PM
And now from the way back machine, does anybody still use DSP-FX? Scott??? If so, does it work on Win7 64 bit? I like some of their stuff but it's been a long time since I've updated this program and would like to load it into my new machine.

I see they still have a web presence but the SAW link is still IQS so, I'm wondering if there are any gotcha's I have to be aware of.

Thanks!

Dave Labrecque
03-27-2015, 12:29 PM
And now from the way back machine, does anybody still use DSP-FX? Scott??? If so, does it work on Win7 64 bit? I like some of their stuff but it's been a long time since I've updated this program and would like to load it into my new machine.

I see they still have a web presence but the SAW link is still IQS so, I'm wondering if there are any gotcha's I have to be aware of.

Thanks!

Geeze, Bill. That was, like, pre-VST, right? I think that was pre-DirectX, wasn't it? Were those written natively for SAWPlus or something? I don't even remember if there's a linker to run those things in SAWStudio. :confused:

UPDATE: I stand corrected. From the DSP FX site:

DirectX Plug-In:

Use directly within Sound Forge, Cakewalk, Cubase-VST, WaveLab, CoolEdit Pro, Samplitude 2496, Samplitude Pro, Logic Audio, Sonic Foundry Acid, SAW32, SAWPlus32, SAWPro, SEK'D Red Roaster, Ensoniq PARIS, WaveConvert Pro and any other application that supports the DirectX plug-in architecture.

SAW Native Plug-In:

Use directly within SAW32, SAWPlus32, and SAWPro

Winamp Plug-In:

Use directly within Winamp to improve the sound quality when playing MP3 files.

Stand-alone ".WAV" Processing:

Process any .wav file in real-time and save the processed signal into a new .wav file.

Stand-alone "Live" Processing:

Turns your computer and soundcard into an outboard effects processor. Any DSP-FX plug-in can be used to process the "live" stereo inputs of your soundcard, and in real-time send the processed sound to the soundcard stereo outputs.

bcorkery
03-27-2015, 02:17 PM
I really like the Aural Activator and still use it in SAW Studio. I can get what I want from the Ultra Channel but that thing uses a lot o' CPU. Maybe that won't matter in my new machine.

Dave Labrecque
03-28-2015, 08:18 AM
I really like the Aural Activator and still use it in SAW Studio. I can get what I want from the Ultra Channel but that thing uses a lot o' CPU. Maybe that won't matter in my new machine.

What kinds of stuff do you use it on?

bcorkery
03-28-2015, 04:56 PM
What kinds of stuff do you use it on?Radio commercials. It tightens up the mix on the output track.

Dave Labrecque
03-28-2015, 05:19 PM
Radio commercials. It tightens up the mix on the output track.

You use it the output bus?

bcorkery
03-29-2015, 08:30 AM
Yes, most of the time, just above the Levelizer.

Bruce Callaway
03-29-2015, 01:12 PM
I used to use this plugin. My copy wouldn't load with the correct code once when installing it on multi core CPUs. I emailed them but had no luck. Haven't used it for years now.

bcorkery
03-30-2015, 12:46 PM
Thanks Bruce. I haven't heard anything from them either. I sent a customer support request and ... nothing.

Thought their site pops up, I think the lights are on but nobody's home.

bcorkery
04-01-2015, 01:56 PM
I finally did hear from DSP-FX support.
http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/7a07fe9faaef5dc302132fcd17dde7b5?size=40&default=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.zendesk.com%2Fimages% 2Fframe_user.png&r=g John West (DFX)
Apr 1, 12:16
Bill, DSPFX unfortunately hasn't been in development for over 10 years, and unfortunately it likely won't function on Windows 7.
DFX Support

Which means the edl's I used this on will pop up with an error message.
No biggie, I think. I'll be able to open the edl, remove the Aural Activator and save the edl ... right?

Dave Labrecque
04-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Hey, Bill -- wasn't there a linker of some kind that would let us run the older SAW Pro, etc., plugins in SAWStudio? Have you tried that?

Here ya go. Maybe you're already doing this? Or are you using the DX version of DSP FX? If so, maybe you can find the older SAW native version and try the linker?

http://www.jms-audioware.com/fx32_linker.htm

bcorkery
04-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Thanks Dave. I do have the original DSP-FX disc, so this might be an option ... if it even loads. We'll see.

Dave Labrecque
04-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Thanks Dave. I do have the original DSP-FX disc, so this might be an option ... if it even loads. We'll see.

Don't forget to use the appropriate legacy OS compatibility setting on any EXE within ten miles when you try this. ;)

And let us know how you do!

bcorkery
04-01-2015, 10:32 PM
10 miles, huh? :D

Dave Labrecque
04-02-2015, 06:27 AM
10 miles, huh? :D

Too conservative?

bcorkery
04-02-2015, 09:17 AM
I have to rethink the blast radius.

Sean McCoy
04-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Too conservative?
Are you allowed to use that word in Massachusetts? :rolleyes:

Dave Labrecque
04-02-2015, 07:19 PM
Are you allowed to use that word in Massachusetts? :rolleyes:

You're thinking of Vermont. Remember, Romney was king here for a while. ;)

studio-c
04-09-2015, 05:35 AM
Sorry, I haven't seen this til now.
Yes I use the Aural Exciter in XP, but haven't messed with it in Win 7.
I love that effect on radio spots, just a little for flavor on an fx return. Makes the vocals stand out a bit.

I haven't used any other of their effects in years, but I haven't found a replacement for that one.

Dave Labrecque
04-09-2015, 08:19 AM
Sorry, I haven't seen this til now.
Yes I use the Aural Exciter in XP, but haven't messed with it in Win 7.
I love that effect on radio spots, just a little for flavor on an fx return. Makes the vocals stand out a bit.

I haven't used any other of their effects in years, but I haven't found a replacement for that one.

Scott -- how are you using it? Is it a straight-up DX plug? Are you using the old SAW native version with the JMS linker thingy in SAWStudio?