PDA

View Full Version : still getting error messages when adding effect

trock
04-04-2005, 06:32 PM
I just downloaded my anwida updates and installed them, i see them in SAW fine and know they are in the right place

again though when i hit PRE or POST and select one and hit add or REM i get those 2 error messages again

trouble creating or opening file for write operation check track label for illegal filename characters, make sure there is enough disk space for the operation

when i hit OK

i get this one

trouble writing undo file
make sure path is valid and not write protected

and then

TROUBLE ACCESSING FILTER

when i hit OK thru them the effect loads and it works?? but this is a pain

i renectly added a DVD-r and my file path to SAW studio Projects became my F: drive but i set that in my file path correctly

any ideas or help would be great

thanks

Bob L
04-04-2005, 08:30 PM
You have a bogus Undo File Path... check the File Path options and reset the path or leave the undo path empty.

Then resave the Default Preferences.

Bob L

trock
04-05-2005, 05:22 AM
Hi Bob

When i go into my file path options the undo is blank nothing in there

then i hit reset and it put everything back to my C: drive so i corrected that since my SAW projects are saved to my F: drive and kept the undo blank

anyway, after i reset them, (i can post a pic of what i have tonight when i am home) i then saved them as my default pref, shut down SAW and started it back up with the same results. i did double check the the pref were saved correctly and they were

anyway, not a big deal, i will figure it out, still new to some of this and the FX's work, i just have to click ok.

maybe i am set up wrong overall??

i run the program on my system drive or C: drive and i store the projects on my F: drive??

Bob L
04-05-2005, 09:02 AM
Your basic setup should be fine... you can store sessions to any drive... as long as it has room and is a legitmate path.

The messages you mention sound like undo messages everytime you touch something.

To find out for sure, turn OFF the Automatic undo option in the Options menu... if that stops the problem, then something is not right with the undo path...

You say it looks blank... but I am wondering if it has a space or two in the path... make sure to select the undo path and use the Backspace key to completely clean it out.

Of course when you figure out the problem, you will want to turn the Auto Undo option back ON, or undo files will not be created automatically as you edit.

Bob L

trock
04-05-2005, 09:10 AM
thanks bob

i am at work right now so i will try that and check it all tonight when i am home and let you know

i guess my dumb question is, what exactly is the UNDO for??

not a biggee but just wondering since all this is taking place with me.

by the way, LOVE SAW, these little glitches are NOTHING compared to the frustration i had before on other platforms!

thanks for the help and i will solve this

UpTilDawn
04-05-2005, 02:36 PM
If I can help,

The undo file is what allows you to recover certain changes you make to your session, especially in the area of edits (cut/copy/paste/etc.). Bob can clarify, but many of the changes you make to the session are recorded as undo files as you work... the upper limit of undo files recorded before being overwritten/dumped in SAW is 99. Some programs offer many more levels of undo, depending on what kind of program it is, some far fewer.

The undo limit is set in the Edit/Set EDL undo levels menu and can be saved with your Preferences file.

DanT

trock
04-05-2005, 04:54 PM
thanks dan

i guess i did know what they were but just wasn't thinking about them because what does the undo have to do with just adding a FX? or taking one out of the Track??

well i guess you are adding or removing something?

anyway, i will look at thins

thanks all

home now

trock
04-05-2005, 05:05 PM
OK

i turned off the AUTO UNDO and the probrlem went away

now Bob you say the next step is to clean out the undo file path with the backspace etc and then save this as preferences

well i did the clean out and then saved, came back in and turned back on UNDO AUTO and the problem is back

how can this follow a path that has nothing typed into it? :confused:

trock
04-05-2005, 05:08 PM
man

how can i post a pic of my file path??

trock
04-05-2005, 05:13 PM
i mena how do i insert a pic that is saved on my desktop and not on the web?? is that possible??

trock
04-05-2005, 05:28 PM
i hope someone can see this, it is as small as i coule make it to fit

thanks

Craig Allen
04-05-2005, 06:11 PM
OK

i turned off the AUTO UNDO and the probrlem went away

now Bob you say the next step is to clean out the undo file path with the backspace etc and then save this as preferences

well i did the clean out and then saved, came back in and turned back on UNDO AUTO and the problem is back

how can this follow a path that has nothing typed into it? :confused:
It looks like the session folder is not valid or something because when that path is blank, it puts the undo files in there. Have you copied the session from one drive to another? Right click on one of the undo files, go to properties, and see if the Read Only Attribute is checked. That could be a problem.

trock
04-05-2005, 06:19 PM
there is no session yet, i just open a new one and select FX and then select an FX from the list, then i hit PRE and then ADD and then i get them

when i then hit REM i get the errors again

this also happens when i have a valid session open and am trying to add a FX to a track such as a reverb to an acoustic or whatever

Craig Allen
04-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Try this - open Studio, try to save a session (name it test or something). Does that work?

trock
04-05-2005, 06:40 PM
yep

opened a new session

named it test

made a folder called test in SAWPROJECTS on the F: drive

and saved it into it

no problem at all

Craig Allen
04-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Somehow (and I have no clue how), SAW has gotten hung up on trying to save undo files to your new DVD drive. Have you tried to put a valid directory in the file path for undos? Maybe in the same directory as the other SAW stuff? That should work.

trock
04-05-2005, 07:43 PM
thanks Buck

I will try that and see what happens

can i just create a folder or something called UNDO?? in the F:\sawprojects foler??

Craig Allen
04-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Sure. I like it when they're saved in the project folder automatically, though. You might try to get it working in another directory and then try it again like it should be.

Shawn
04-05-2005, 08:23 PM
trock,

If you open and re-map one of the sessions, then save and update it before making any changes does the error message still come up?

Bob L
04-05-2005, 09:52 PM
The session EDL folder may also be bogus... and SAWStudio will use that as the default starting location when you don't have a session name created.

So, if you open the program and do not start an edl session... then try to add a plugin, the undo file is trying to go to the default session path in a default session called Untitled.edl.

If you follow my suggestions on the demo videos, a lot of these complications can be avaoided... open the program and immediately create a folder and session name.... then go to work... you will have no troubles... its really very simple.

Bob L