PDA

View Full Version : ADA8000 Question

PAco
06-16-2015, 04:17 PM
We have several shows coming up this summer overseas. Anybody know if I can use a step down transformer 220v to 110v for my ADA8000's? Will they be ok running at 50hz instead of 60hz?

cgrafx
06-16-2015, 04:38 PM
We have several shows coming up this summer overseas. Anybody know if I can use a step down transformer 220v to 110v for my ADA8000's? Will they be ok running at 50hz instead of 60hz?

You will probably not have any problems, but you really should find a way to test this before hand.

The lower frequency will reduce the output voltage a bit as the RMS value of current transfer is lower, but I wouldn't expect it to fall out of regulation.

Bob L
06-16-2015, 08:42 PM
Looking at the manual seems to indicate that the power supply can handle the European voltage directly.... I would check with Behringer before plugging it in though.

Bob L

cgrafx
06-17-2015, 09:13 AM
Looking at the manual seems to indicate that the power supply can handle the European voltage directly.... I would check with Behringer before plugging it in though.

Bob L

I looked at the manual too, and apparently there are some versions of the ADA that supported both 120/240, but not all. Some are only made for 120V.

On the dual voltage version there is a switch on the back and the fuse is supposed to be swapped out for a different current value depending on the voltage in play.

For example: Neither of the two ADA8000 units I have sitting in my office support 240V.

FROM THE MANAUL:
-------------------------------------
- Before plugging the unit into a power socket, please make sure you have selected the correct voltage:
The fuse compartment near the power plug socket contains three triangular markings. Two of these triangles are opposite one another. The voltage indicated adjacent to these markings is the voltage to which your unit has been set up, and can be altered by rotating the fuse compartment by 180°.

ATTENTION: This does not apply to export models that were for example manufactured only for use with 120 V!

- If you alter the unit's voltage, you must change the fuses accordingly. The correct value of the fuses needed can be found in the
chapter "Specifications".

Mattseymour
06-18-2015, 12:35 PM
Shouldn't be a problem, especially considering some folk under-volt their ada8000 to reduce heat in the regulator.

Though what better opportunity to replace them with ada8200 with the switch mode international psu ;)

TomyN
06-25-2015, 11:33 AM
Shouldn't be a problem, especially considering some folk under-volt their ada8000 to reduce heat in the regulator.

Don't mix up things. We've 230Volts over here, and this would seriously overpower your units.

:-) I just remember of all the fried guitar amps on my bench a long time ago. A 'famous' guitar player had stated that he's running his amp set for 230V on 110Volts to distort his sound 'better'. Some folks here thought that it will work vice versa also and set the voltage selectors to the 110 / 120V setting :-(

Mattseymour
06-26-2015, 12:16 AM
Eh? The op was about running a step down transformer to use US voltage units on EU power. UK voltage can be as high as 254v and still be within spec. Hence the need to use a step down transformer.