PDA

View Full Version : Old SAC version and 4.0 on the same computer?

dbarrow
07-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Can I copy the current previous version SAC directory to a backup, install 4.0 in another directory and run both/either version for testing until I fully commit to the new version? I am assuming 4.0 doesn't put a bunch of stuff in the registry or some such that would complicate doing this.

bcorkery
07-18-2015, 09:55 AM
I'm pretty sure Bob doesn't write anything into the Windows registry. With SAW anyway, I know you can just delete the SAW folder and it won't affect the computer in any way.

dbarrow
07-18-2015, 10:07 AM
I'm pretty sure Bob doesn't write anything into the Windows registry. With SAW anyway, I know you can just delete the SAW folder and it won't affect the computer in any way.
That's what I thought. I will probably try it all tomorrow on my test setup first.

Bob L
07-18-2015, 10:45 AM
Keep your current install as is... then install the new version into a new folder when it asks... use SAC_40 or something similar for an install folder name.

That way, your current version is untouched and the new version can be chosen at will... create a new desktop icon labeled SAC 4.0. Make sure to right-click the icon and set the compatibility mode for Win XP SP3 if you are using Win 7 or Win 8.

Bob L

RandyHyde
07-18-2015, 03:47 PM
Keep your current install as is... then install the new version into a new folder when it asks... use SAC_40 or something similar for an install folder name.

That way, your current version is untouched and the new version can be chosen at will... create a new desktop icon labeled SAC 4.0. Make sure to right-click the icon and set the compatibility mode for Win XP SP3 if you are using Win 7 or Win 8.

Bob L

Question: If I have a problem at a show and I need to downgrade, will the mix files created with 4.0 load and operate properly in 3.1?
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Bob L
07-18-2015, 04:43 PM
No... I mentioned that in the release notes and the helpfile... they are not backwards compatibile... they are forward compatible... the older ones will translate into the newer format but the 120 chan format does not go backwards... you will need to keep two different session files until you decide it is safe to switch over to 4.

Bob L

mr_es335
07-18-2015, 04:57 PM
dbarrow

Can I copy the current previous version SAC directory to a backup......I do this all of the time.

I like to keep my main apps in C:\RML - then have one for SAC and one for SAW. So, C:\RML\SAC and C:\RML\SAW.

Then when I have to install another app for testing purposes or whatever, that installation does not affect my main RML installation in any way.

Also, when using batch files for loading session files and such, I can create batch template files - allowing me to only have to change one letter for to all to work.