PDA

View Full Version : Some glitches moving from 3.1 to 4.0

Jeff Scott
08-04-2015, 10:19 PM
Hi Bob...tonight I brought all my SAC /SAW / Remote computers and laptops up to 4.0a and SAWSTUDIOLITE 5.5. I loaded up a session on SAC SAW that I was mixing and using SAC to set up IEM mixes....a virtual sound check if you will. In bringing it up to 4.0a there was a lot of distortion on the outputs but not on the Solo buss. I thought it might be the preamp output channels going but that wasn't it.

It turns out there were a number of Studio eq and Dual LR plug-ins on various output channels. These plug-ins did not show up when you looked at the channel strip...only when you actually opened up the Pre and Post FX lists. I did not put them there. They just seemed to be randomly assigned / glitches there. Once I tracked them down and deleted them....the distortion disappeared. I could then assign FX to the output channels as per normal and everything is correct visually and sonically.

Is this an issue or do I just need to be aware of it and track these down when I open an older session.?

Bob L
08-05-2015, 12:46 AM
Sounds like an issue... but not sure how to track it down.

In the original 3.1 session, there were no plugins patched on the outputs?

Do you still have the 3.1 session... can you send it to me so I can see if I can duplicate the problem.

Bob L

Jeff Scott
08-05-2015, 05:18 AM
There were plug-ins patched on the outputs....that's what got me thinking to look for them. I started by deleting anything I could see via the channel strip that was assigned.
You've often mentioned issues 3rd party plugs can have. Once deleted and then reloaded from within 4.0....all was well.

I can send you the 3.1 file it it will help...

Jeff Scott
08-05-2015, 05:55 AM
OK..update....Did a bit more investigation. Seems to relate to patching more than 1 instance of the Studio EQ on an output. One instance works fine....a 2nd instance of the EQ....as long as the EQ gain faders are at 0db....all is well. Move any of the faders on the 2nd instance and the distortion shows up.

Butch Bos
08-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Plug ins don't move to the correct channels when opening 3.1 in 4.0a
I have some phantom plug ins that I can not get rid of
They show I-79 but their is nothing showing on 79
Doing the save all and recall all works on most CHs but still leaves some

Butch

Bob L
08-05-2015, 11:39 PM
A plug displaying I-79 would actually be from Output chan 1 and should be correctly moved there in 4.0a. The plugin should still be processing the correct chan data (out 1)... only the display will be wrong... easily fixed by using the chan store/recall on the out chan itself.

Just tested that and it works here.

Realize that any plugin on Return and Out chans from 3.1 will be moved up to the new Return and Out chans in 4.0s 120 chan format. The Mixer/Chan display, however has no internal way of updating. The plugins are not phantoms, they have been properly moved to the correct Return or Out chan.

Popup the Store/Recall menu on the Out Chan (Alt-Right-Click)... select Store All to MemCell 1, then Recall All from MemCell 1... or you really only need to use the Store FX to mem cell and recall FX from mem cell... it will keep your settings but update the mixer/Chan display correctly to the Out chan... which you realize now is chan 127.

Try that and see if it works for you.

Again... it is recommended that you save the new mix session files into a different 4.0 folder or with a new 4.0 name until all old sessions are converted over and you no longer need them... Keep the old files intact until you have no need to go back to 3.1... the new 120 chan sessions are not backwards compatible to the older 72 chan format.

Bob L

Jeff Scott
08-06-2015, 06:46 AM
Update: The EQ behaviour seems to be linked to a corrupted Dual Linkweitz-Riley Plug-in.

My Dual LR plugin was corrupted during the move to 4.0. Uninstalling it from the C Drive and SAC directory and re-instaling it has it working correctly.

However....every mix file that had this plug-in on it now exhibits this Studio EQ distortion behaviour. If I remove the instance of the EQ or if you leave all the faders flat / 0db....everything behaves normally.

I should also note that Bob's stock Mix Templates work just fine with the Studio EQ...so it does not appear to be an issue with SAC 4.0 ....and as many of us use the Dual LR plugin...it would appear that it is my system alone that's has been affected.

I'll have to create fresh Mix files from the SAC templates and set up club files for the 2 bands I work with. A bit of work to be sure but at least everything will be back to working correctly.