PDA

View Full Version : Direction with Motu 2408/324

Guitarkeys.com
08-20-2015, 01:05 PM
I had someone give me the Motu 2408 and PCI-324.

What I have seen out on the net so far is that the PCI-324 doesn't play well with current systems so I would need to find an old system to use it with - maybe something off the shelf on ebay. Just not sure what I'm looking for so if you know of a computer that this will work on please drop me a link.

I've also thought of picking up a PCI-424 but then I look on Motu's website and I get the same vibe that it may or may not work.

Unless someone here can point me in the direction of a computer that will work it seems I'm looking at building a computer for it (would be dumb) or purchasing a PCIe-424 to plug into a new computer.

RBIngraham
08-20-2015, 02:22 PM
PCI-324 cards will work on old Pentium IV computers. That is where I have the two I have put in. I only use those for playback and effect processing type tasks and now that I'm thinking about, I don't think I've even used them at all in probably 12 to 18 months now.

But I have 2 old Shuttle lunchbox sized PIV machines the 324 will work in and I have 1 old Lenovo it works in.

None of my Core 2 CPUs will work with the 324 card.

I have 3 424 PCI cards. They work in all my computers I've tried them in. Granted, other than those old Shuttles.... my other 7 machines are all various shapes, sizes and vintages of Lenovo. All are Core 2 CPUs except for that one PIV.

There are two versions of the 424 PCI card. PCI and PCI-x. The only difference is that PCI-x will work in a 3.3v and 5v PCI slot. The PCI will only work in a 5v PCI slot. I think I have 2 PCI-x 424 cards and one PCI 424 card. But I don't remember now. Either way, I've yet to see a Windows PC that had 3.3v only PCI slots. I'm sure they are out there somewhere, but they are very rare. That PCI-x thing was mostly a Mac thing.

I also have one PCI-e 424 card and that has also worked in all the machines I have tried it in. Granted I think I've only tried it in two machines perhaps.

To me picking up a used 424 card is worth it. The 324 card won't allow you to hook up all the newer I/O boxes (24 I/O, 2408 MK3, etc...). And the drivers are very long in the tooth.... I think they are XP only.

The only downside I would say is that all of these units are discontinued. So at this point I suspect you'll see little to no further driver development from MOTU, even on the 424 PCIe cards. So Win 8 (maybe 10?) will probably be the last OS you can use those cards with.

Guitarkeys.com
08-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Thanks Richard. Looks like everything I need to know.