PDA

View Full Version : I posted this (incorrectly) on the SAW forum...

Richard Rupert
10-16-2015, 06:34 AM
...so I'm repeating it here:
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 by now... and if so, what is the verdict on its efficacy?

TIA

dbarrow
10-16-2015, 07:58 AM
That looks like a poor man's (Behringer) version of the RME Fireface UFX with only one ADAT I/O port. If the drivers are good and the latency low, it could be a good option for a micro SAC/SAW system, consisting of a notebook computer and a 2u rack. I have such a "test" or "backup" system with my notebook computer, a Fireface UFX and two Focusrite OctoPre Dynamic units. This is in a 4u rack and I love it for smaller gigs AND it serves as a backup for the larger SAC rack I use with another band.

I have used my smaller setup on a few jazz combo gigs to also record to SAW and it works great. This could be a cheaper option to do smaller shows like that. At these gigs I basically replace or jack into the small house system (16ch Mix Wizard) and send a Main L/R signal and 4 monitor mixes. I made a snake that makes it easy to do that and just plug everything back to normal when I'm done. I can even run it remotely with my netbook and a WiFi router.

Butch Bos
10-16-2015, 01:09 PM
I have the old version with firewire and usb it works but don't expect very low latency about 10-12 ms or so

Butch

Richard Rupert
10-16-2015, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys. It certainly is inexpensive. The addition of a $200 ADA8200 would make a $400 front end. But the latency issue (if the same on this as with its predecessor) would be a deal breaker.

I hope someone gets to test this new version and reports the result.