PDA

View Full Version : USB Interface Question on Performance

HapHazzard
11-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Howdy All,
I'm going to downsize EVERYthing in my SAC rig.
So first off, the size of the new gen of PCs like the Brix, micro Dells and HPs with i5 have become very appealing BUT they can only have USB devices.

Other options like the Lenovo Horizon 2 Multimode Table PC might be a candidate. Or even the next gen of Intel Sticks (I have one with a dell touch for remote)

So, what is this like. anyone try one yet?

Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 with a ADA8200

Richard Rupert
11-11-2015, 08:31 PM
I am curious as well about the Behringer interface. We recently switched from an M-Audio LightBridge with 3 ADA 8000s to a Focusrite 18i20 Scarlett with a USB Streamer (https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box) for an additional 8 channels, and a little USB to S/Pdif device for the final two inputs (http://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/5/index.html#page1).

The main reason for switching was that I didn't like the fact that the M-Audio didn't allow hot plugging without potentially damaging either the computer or the LightBridge. It worked fine, but I was always a bit leery that someone might kick out the connection (or worse, I would do it <g>).

The Scarlett is working well. SAC always starts with 1 dropped buffer, but never increases. I have the buffers set as low as I can get them (1X45).So far, so good. Still, I'm curious as to how well the Behringer works.

Bu the way, I'm running this on Windows 8.1 on a Lenovo T500.

Butch Bos
11-11-2015, 09:30 PM
How are you using 3 usb devices ASIO only allows 1 driver ??

Butch

Richard Rupert
11-12-2015, 07:33 AM
How are you using 3 usb devices ASIO only allows 1 driver ??

Butch

The USB Streamer plugs into another computer via USB and outputs ADAT, which then plugs into the Focusrite. that computer is generating guitar sounds for the guitarist. Same for the USB to S/P DIF device; USB into another computer that's generating keyboard sounds for the keyboard player, then the signal is sent to the Focusrite S/P DIF input.

I think this might make a great interface as well, but again, not available yet (at least not available at Sweetwater): http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US20x20

HapHazzard
11-12-2015, 08:26 AM
I think this might make a great interface as well, but again, not available yet (at least not available at Sweetwater): http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US20x20

Would USB3 make a difference with latency?

As for the US20X20 I wonder if their preamps have improved.

Richard Rupert
11-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Would USB3 make a difference with latency?

As for the US20X20 I wonder if their preamps have improved.

I don't know the answer to either question, not having used the interface... or any USB 3.0 interface for that matter. But we both know that how well the driver is written directly relates to the latency. But assuming the same driver, it's an interesting question. Maybe Bob will know the answer to that one.

Have you used Tascam gear before and found their preamps to be sub-par?

HapHazzard
11-12-2015, 05:39 PM
Have you used Tascam gear before and found their preamps to be sub-par?Quite a few years ago their product wasn't something you'd admit to using. I did have a DM24 for a few years but after cutting over to a the ADA8000, it was almost night and day. Now I have 4-Aphex 188 and 4-ADA8200. It would be hard to go back but you never know. Things change.:)

Richard Rupert
11-12-2015, 06:56 PM
Quite a few years ago their product wasn't something you'd admit to using. I did have a DM24 for a few years but after cutting over to a the ADA8000, it was almost night and day. Now I have 4-Aphex 188 and 4-ADA8200. It would be hard to go back but you never know. Things change.:)

Hmmm... a bit disconcerting to say the least. Thanks for the insight. They (Tascam) may have changed, but I sure wouldn't want to buy one to find out.

Nice to hear that the ADA8200 sounds good. If the U-Phoria turns out to have a good driver, one of those and an 8200 would be a hot ticket for 16 inputs.

HapHazzard
11-12-2015, 08:48 PM
Hmmm... a bit disconcerting to say the least. Thanks for the insight. They (Tascam) may have changed, but I sure wouldn't want to buy one to find out.

Nice to hear that the ADA8200 sounds good. If the U-Phoria turns out to have a good driver, one of those and an 8200 would be a hot ticket for 16 inputs.
That is what I'm counting on.

Richard Rupert
11-13-2015, 05:48 AM
That is what I'm counting on.

If you try this combination, please post results. I'm sure others would also find this setup to be appealing.

Reujonik
11-13-2015, 07:46 AM
according to sweetwater the u-phoria umc 1820 will not be available until at least march 2016

HapHazzard
11-13-2015, 08:30 AM
according to sweetwater the u-phoria umc 1820 will not be available until at least march 2016Brain cells were not popping when I first read the SW ad. It'll be a long wait and even then it might not get to the shelf.

Hap