PDA

View Full Version : File size?

bertie
06-24-2004, 04:51 AM
Hi Bob :)

Why other DAW's use so much disk space when you install them comparing to SAWStudio? Is that because they are written in C++ and use various modules and things....or else? :)

Other DAW's use 10 time more HD space than SAWStudio and in the end SAWStudio beats them big time!!! :D :)

P.S. I can't realize why other people use other DAW's!!! Do You?:confused: ARE THEY DUMB or they still haven't explore the web site called WWW.SAWSTUDIO.COM. :D

Bertie, (lifetime SAWStudio user)

TotalSonic
06-24-2004, 07:34 AM
Hi Bertie -
The reason SAW's files are so much smaller than other DAW's is because it is written in very optimized assembly language instead of C+++ - so there's a lot less number of lines of code needed.

The reason I think SAWStudio is lesser known among DAW users is a simple case of advertising budget. It's not advertised in the magazines, has no presence at retailers, and receives no reviews because there is no full time publicist for it (or advertising dollars "buying" a review).

One great way we can spread the word on it is to let people know that it even exists as a great sounding option on the multitude of general audio forums. I try not to be too obnoxious with this and just spread info about SAW when it is relevant to a question in a particular thread (i.e. someone asking "should I buy Nuendo or PT?")

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob L
06-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Steve is correct... the hand coded assembly definitely helps control the size.

Interesting to note that while the disk file size is under a mere 1.5 mb... only about 1/3 of that size is actual code... the rest of the space is data variable structures and arrays. :)

Of course we also have about 10mb of graphic elements for interface in the Shade dll.

But, all of the code is self contained and not spread out over dozens of pre-written dll modules and class libraries with links to everything littered throughout the registry. This makes for a much more efficient flow during actual use.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-24-2004, 09:53 AM
If you've ever seen the code for a simple multitrack in C++, you would blow your brains out. How some people come up with these class trees is insane. C or ASM is certainly much much more efficient for this kind of work, and Bob certainly has masted his art. It is a very hard thing to do!