PDA

View Full Version : What is a good tablet for running SAC Remote?

NorthTrader
12-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Hello,

Recently my church has been trying to set up SAC Remote. We currently have nailed down the router, and gotten SAC Remote to cooperate with SAC using a test laptop. But now we need to finish the process. We are currently looking for a good tablet to use for running SAC Remote.

We have been wondering what type of tablet to get. There are so many out there it is quite an intimidating thing to look into. We would not want to purchase a $300 tablet and find out it won't work, or is way over qualified for what we need.

So the question of this post is, what are other people using for their systems? What would other people recommend the specs look like? Obviously the tablet will need to run Windows, as it is clearly stated that SAC Remote only runs on Windows 7, 8, or 10.

If it helps, we are running SAC 3.1 and (obviously) SAC Remote 3.1.

Any help is welcome!

JeremyJo
12-07-2015, 05:08 PM
I didn't use many different models of tablets, but I had good success with used Motion Computing LE1600 and LE1600 tablets. They are, now, cheap, pen-only(Stylus) and basically reliable older computers. The battery life in them is dismal and they're relatively heavy and "slow" though for tablet type remote use they work well.

That's probably not a solution for many musicians given the need for a stylus or mouse, but it's quite usable for walk around mixing and adjustments if not the most convenient for live mixing use in combat audio.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

J

RandyHyde
12-07-2015, 05:13 PM
They are not cheap, but I've had the best luck with MS Surface Pro units.
Bad side is, it's Windows 8/10.

Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Bob L
12-07-2015, 09:50 PM
Windows 8 and 10 are perfect for a remote... now gives you access to the multitouch commands and new touch displays in SAC 4.0.

Bob L

NorthTrader
12-10-2015, 08:07 AM
Thanks everyone. There are some good suggestions here. Definitely a better starting place than we had before.

We'll probably be getting a tablet pretty soon, with christmas sales and all, so I'll be letting you know what we get and how it works out fairly soon.

Thanks again for the help.

Noiseboy
12-11-2015, 12:26 PM
I would tend to agree with Jeremy regarding the Motion Computing stuff. I have both LE1600 and 1700 units, three years on the 1600. Battle tested, bullet proof, cheap. Grab extra battery, use just for SAC, disable services not needed and you have all the speed you need. Good luck.

rdubost
12-17-2015, 06:31 AM
I have had success for years with tablet PC's, despite the weight and power consumption that kills the battery. I suppose newer processors will work miracles. As should the new touch options in SAC, which I have yet to discover.

The line of Atom processors should bring the SAC touch experience to a whole new level : ARM features with x86 cpu on the cheap. I reckon this deserves some feedback from the lucky owners.

I certainly will offer testimony when I get there. Please jump in if you're one of the lucky few.
Roger (France)

dbarrow
12-28-2015, 01:35 PM
What about SAC display on 4K monitors? I have seen various Lenovo and Toshiba convertible models with 4K screens.