PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite unique feature in SAWStudio?

AudioAstronomer
12-22-2015, 01:48 PM
I know most all of us use other A/V software in conjunction with SAW, so I sit here wondering what feature(s) that are unique in SAW that you'd like to see elsewhere?

For me, the pop-up faders are something I always miss when I have to alt-tab.

UpTilDawn
12-22-2015, 03:10 PM
I don't know that it's as much about unique features in SAW, or just that things operate differently that I like so much. Of course, there are a few things I've discovered elsewhere that I wish SAW would do differently, based on those other software, too.

I suppose one great unique feature of SAW that I have no experience with in any other software, is the ability to link with SAC and let SAC take on the bulk of the load, plus the ability to import and export settings, including labels from one tool to the other. It makes multi-track recording really, really nice for me these days.

Maybe I'll think of something else as I work on this current editing project...
(I can think of two or three things right now that I wish SAW would do a bit differently, based on this project, but I don't want to muddy up your thread with complaints - besides, I get on fine despite them anyway.) :D :cool:

Tim Miskimon
12-22-2015, 04:20 PM
Just a few off the top of my head...

1- How quickly Saw installs on a machine.
2- How easy it is to edit with.
3- How quickly sessions load.
4- Show Control feature.
5- How if the machine is setup properly it never crashes.
6- The sound of Saw in general.
7- The way you can setup views with F keys.
8- How you can actually talk on the phone to the creator of Saw when you need help, have questions or want to make a feature suggestion - try that with Pro Tools or any other DAW software.

Butch Bos
12-22-2015, 04:28 PM
For me it is the SAC SAW linking and show control
And it is very stable (looking for wood to knock on;))

Butch

Grekim
12-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Choosing just one thing is almost impossible. But, the first thing to come to mind is the automation system - being able to tab to automation points, not needing to set another equivalent point downstream (as you would in another DAW) if you want a "flat line". Points with built in ramps. Being able to quickly offset automation. The whole thing is very unique and complex in a good way.

I also have to add being able to select a group of channels and adjust a parameter such as output destination or high pass filter value in one shot.

Kent F
12-22-2015, 06:47 PM
Love how easy it is to use! Powerful yet simple. Specifically, I appreciate how quickly we can zoom into the wav, spot glitches, and surgically remove them... and then carry on.

Naturally Digital
12-22-2015, 10:52 PM
Choosing just one thing is almost impossible. But, the first thing to come to mind is the automation system - being able to tab to automation points, not needing to set another equivalent point downstream (as you would in another DAW) if you want a "flat line".

I also have to add being able to select a group of channels and adjust a parameter such as output destination or high pass filter value in one shot.I have to agree with both of these points. The automation system is unique and in many ways can be less cumbersome than other products.

The point about adjusting multiple controls at once has always been attractive to me for some of the of projects I do and workflows I've created.

And then...

- Stability - especially while recording.

- I've always been a fan of the 'feel' of the interface. Fast and responsive. Especially the faders.

- Did I mention the stability?

- Proprietary plug-in format. Resulting in... Better stability.

- Super-fast boot time.

- Option to load audio regions into ram for instant playback start.

There are more but I'll leave it at that. :)

Microstudio
12-23-2015, 05:52 AM
I like that SAW will still load onto an XP machine and work great or run just as good on Win 8.

Angie
12-23-2015, 07:39 AM
I also love that I don't need a new computer every time there is an upgrade. And that it will run on an old laptop when needed. I am still using audio interfaces from almost 20 years ago.

Setting up for a new project doesn't take forever and there is no thinking about how many tracks I need to start out. Name the edl and a track or two, arm and hit record. Nice and fast when someone asks to record an idea before it is forgotten.

CurtZHP
12-23-2015, 09:18 AM
I love that the developer treats me like an honest person. Meaning, I love the fact that I don't have to jump through a ton of licensing hoops to install, or re-install, the software.

I love the fact that it plays well with every piece of hardware I've ever thrown at it.

Sean McCoy
12-23-2015, 12:49 PM
There are lots of little operational features I miss when working in other DAWs, and that's to be expected any time you're program and platform swapping. But I'd have to say its efficiency and reliability, as others have mentioned here, are still second to none. I just did a location recording last week on my 12-year-old Creation Station, running XP, without a single glitch or hiccup over many hours. While this normal for SAW, it sure ain't with Logic or Pro Tools.

Philippe M
12-23-2015, 02:16 PM
As a matter of fact, I agree with all the positive things already exposed here.
I could tell:
- the main reason for me, the sound !!!!!!!!!!
then, not necessarely in order:
- the fact that you can tweak existing shades or create your own ones
- the F keys to setup views
- you can trust on that DAW to get the job done
- you can buy license from another user.

AudioAstronomer
12-23-2015, 03:10 PM
F-keys are also a huge one.

I use the equivalent feature when I work in other DAWs, and I've still never found anything that is as responsive as SAW.

With the fastest other DAW I know of with that functionality, I can still clearly see the redraw occuring. This is on an i7 with a modern graphics card and plenty of ram too.

Yet on an ancient Pentium 4 win XP system, SAW redraws INSTANTLY. You can mash the f-key row and it doesn't even come close to lagging. Not to mention how big of a workflow enhancer the feature is!

Planxty
12-23-2015, 04:56 PM
Talking directly to Bob, or the folks who worked with him in the past, is so unique and awesome....I tell folks who use other DAWS, they don't believe me...

ivanoff
12-24-2015, 03:30 AM
I like :
- The left click+ drag to select a region and the right click to play/stop are great.
- SawStudio is the faster DAW that I know for editing
- The native plug ins
- Bob's help

I don't like :
in MWS, the select option that makes me change more notes that I want if i forget to unselect (right click)

Carl G.
12-24-2015, 06:09 AM
F-keys are also a huge one.

......I've still never found anything that is as responsive as SAW.

....Not to mention how big of a workflow enhancer the feature is!

Likewise!
My Top Ten:
1. SawStudio is blazing fast!
2. F-Keys - configuration flexibility.
3. Live Punch-in with monitoring flexibility (a huge plus)
4. Fast and Easy multi-track editing design
5. RML plugins and Native plugins sound great, and have well designed parameters for creative production.
6. The Sound! Pristine!
7. The Automation Gallery - saved months of work (over the years)
8. The Video Viewer - excellent combination with SawStudio for Audio Post work.
9. An enormous number of "Feature Rich Powerful Options" throughout the Multi-track and Console (always expands creativity and simplifies operation).
10. Talk directly with the developer, who earnestly works with the caller to answer a question, try to help solve a problem, and (importantly throughout its development stages) occasionally implements workable suggestions into the design to meet the needs of the users.

Bruce Callaway
12-31-2015, 04:49 PM
Likewise!
My Top Ten:
1. SawStudio is blazing fast!
2. F-Keys - configuration flexibility.
3. Live Punch-in with monitoring flexibility (a huge plus)
4. Fast and Easy multi-track editing design
5. RML plugins and Native plugins sound great, and have well designed parameters for creative production.
6. The Sound! Pristine!
7. The Automation Gallery - saved months of work (over the years)
8. The Video Viewer - excellent combination with SawStudio for Audio Post work.
9. An enormous number of "Feature Rich Powerful Options" throughout the Multi-track and Console (always expands creativity and simplifies operation).
10. Talk directly with the developer, who earnestly works with the caller to answer a question, try to help solve a problem, and (importantly throughout its development stages) occasionally implements workable suggestions into the design to meet the needs of the users.
I agree with these, thanks Carl

mr_es335
12-31-2015, 06:02 PM
Hello,

Ditto...and ditto...and MWS...and ditto...and ditto...and MWS...ad finitum....

PS: Did I mentioned how much I like and prefer MWS??

Ken S
01-15-2016, 05:11 AM
I just have to rave about how well the manual is written - the roll-over help application and how the support community is ready with a sincere reply!!!

Dave Labrecque
01-15-2016, 12:28 PM
I just have to rave about how well the manual is written - the roll-over help application and how the support community is ready with a sincere reply!!!

I certainly hope you're being sincere.