PDA

View Full Version : Live recording mixed with SAC

stoven
02-02-2016, 05:28 PM
Live worship service. This was NOT multi-tracked...it was my live stereo mix out of SAC through a Compellor into an external PC running Adobe Audition.

Yes, I know I could have done it in SAW Studio with SAC Link (and use a plugin to replace the Compellor) but I'm not quite there yet.

The reverb was a plugin--and yes, it was a bit heavier than I would have liked at times, but it's a pretty dry room.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/shane-toven/sets/harvest-worship-1312016

operationwhat
02-02-2016, 07:45 PM
Nice mix, only that the drums are a bit behind and a maybe to have a bit less reverb overall.What plugin did you use for reverb and what preamps do you have there?

stoven
02-02-2016, 07:56 PM
Agreed on both counts...I think this was a freebie VST reverb plugin. It's been a while since I set it up.

As for the drums, since I didn't have the house and recording mix split in this case, I didn't want them getting too overwhelming in the house mix.

Mattseymour
02-03-2016, 01:56 AM
I don't think it sounds bad. There's nowhere near enough drums or bass, which are really the foundation of the band, but this is always the problem with a FOH recording. I guess it's an acoustic kit, so you had plenty of that in the room.

What you have is nicely balanced with a bit of compression.

I've often listened back to my FOH mixes regularly, found it a great way to improve my mixes. Last time I was recording a big service for radio broadcast I found the FOH mix was good enough that I didn't need to remix it all from the multitrack. That was nice. Saved hours.

stoven
02-03-2016, 04:26 AM
I suppose it depends on the playback system as well...With a good set of headphones or my monitoring setup, the drums and bass jump right back into the mix.

The room has a very nice LF response with some very well placed and tuned subs. I often use an aux send to boost the amount of certain channels just in the subs (kick, bass) and that's probably reflected here as well since that addition wouldn't appear on my stereo mix output. That said, I agree--one can almost never have too much drum and bass supporting a good mix. :-)

Mattseymour
02-03-2016, 06:10 AM
more drums more drums more drums...

It's my mantra when training people to mix.

operationwhat
02-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Can you give us an insight of how you set up your mix.Vocals, Bas,Acc,Keys....what preamps or soundcard and so. :D