PDA

View Full Version : demo problem...

earthpig
06-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Hi there,

Im busy trying out the demo of sawstudio and have already come across a stumbling block.
Everytime I try ot open a .wav file recorded previously it says that the file is an "unsupported format". Im doing this via the file menu - > Open Soundfile and add rto MT.
Am I doing something really stupid ( Be gentle ) or...

Thanks

Bob L
06-24-2004, 10:16 AM
SAWStudio only reads 16 bit and 24 bit uncompressed wav files.

My guess is that maybe some of the pre-recorded wav samples you are trying are 8 bit files or otherwise somehow compressed. I removed the code needed to work with 8 bit files since they seemed to have no place in a professional high-end editing environment. If 8 bit files are needed from a finished project, you can convert your high quality finished mixes using any number of freeware converter programs.

Extract a wav file from an audio CD using any number of CD Burner programs or file extraction programs... this will give you 44100, 16 bit stereo files to play with... you should have no trouble with those.

Or, record your own source files from the line-in of your soundcard... then, I am sure you will have no problem opening those files and manipulating them.

Bob L

earthpig
06-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Aah Thanks Bob,

My files are 32 bit, thats most likely the problem, will convert them to 24 and then see how I get on.

Thanks for your help.

AudioAstronomer
06-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Voxengo's R8Brain is AWESOME for converting files, very very good quality.

Also I dont beleive SawStudio inport and exports 32-bit floating files.... which almost every other host exports.. might I add for no reason other than cluttering your hard drive... you may want to check this as well. A 24-bit file will do you great, and it's 1/3 the filesize saving you a sign bit and 7 useless exponents :) Normally of which the exponents are padded with 0's in many hosts anyways.

I see of cource you posted while I did... fine then :)