PDA

View Full Version : MWS not playing some notes

JoergReiher
04-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Hello all,
on the weekend me and a friend recorded some drums to MWS, and playing the track(s) back some notes weren't played at all... Some details:

Recording: Roland V-Drums -> Midi
Playing Back: Battery VSTi

The notes definitely were recorded, they show up in the MWS track and the Midi Meter also gives optical response if the note is "played", but there's no sound at all.
The notes have an on and off velocity > 0 (normally between 80-127), so that can't be the problem.
It gets even weirder: It wasn't always the same note that didn't play back, although it (probably) was always the snare drum (note) that didn't sound.
After quantizing even more notes failed to play?!?... That could have been cool for some experimental jazz, but not for our little rock/pop song:-)

Even soloing the Track and mixing it to the current hottrack didn't work: There were still some (snare drum) notes that didn't make the jump to the wave file!

I tried to put another instrument on the track (Kontakt with some standard drumkit soundfont bank), but there were still missing snares:-(

Finally we exported the tracks to midi and opened them in Orion, put the same Battery VSTi in and all notes played well.

Has anybody else experienced such a funny behaviour?

Bob L
04-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Have not seen that one yet.

If you scrub through the notes that don't play when in Live Mode... do they sound as you scrub slowly through them?

Can you send me a MWS file containing the bad tracks... let me see if I can duplicate the problem here. Perhaps it has something to do with exact timings that the notes were played...

Bob L

tomasino
04-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Have never ever experienced anything like that in MWS.

Perhaps the port/channel is getting changed on certain notes. ? :confused:
That would crazy too.

Sounds totally crazy, never seen anything like that. Midi tweak treks can be so much fun.

JoergReiher
04-11-2005, 06:19 AM
Thanks for your quick reply!
After losing my orchestras yesterday - I dropped my external hard drive from about 50 centimetres while in operation (its only reply to any data request then was "click, hummmm, click, hummm":-) - I created a new session, loaded the mws file in it and played the midi back with a small sf2 bank through Kompakt.
And ALL notes were played! I should have dropped the hd earlier:-),
but I'll continue trying to find out what went wrong with the complete session where the error occured, after hiring a new orchestra:-)
Thanks so far,
yours joey
----
Too fast: I could find missing snares and the mail is on the way to you, Bob!
Thanks in advance, hopefully the mistake I made isn't too stupid:-)

matt
04-11-2005, 06:49 AM
I have experienced some strange graphic anomolies also... sometimes in MWS and sometimes with volume levels in the multitrack. The track will suddenly get louder or quieter for a couple of bars and then back to normal. This happens without any automation or control track info. It hasn't ocured for a few weeks so when and if it happens again I will post some specifics.

matt
04-11-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm having issues with dropped notes in MidiWorkshop and BFD. I have the rest of my system running smoothly... no problems with audio glitching or vst plugs. It would be really nice if I could get through a song with all the drum hits triggering properly.

Bob L
04-11-2006, 05:11 PM
This issue with BFD and the MWS has been talked about before but was never resolved. The same MWS sequence seemed to playback perfectly thru other VST plugins or drum hardware modules... but would miss notes only in BFD... see if you can verify the same behaviour.

It was also mentioned that setting the missing notes directly on the grid position (quantizing them) seemed to fix the problem for others... see what happens for you.

Bob L

Arco
04-11-2006, 05:14 PM
I've had this with Kontakt loaded as a VSti in SAW. I had thought a recent update had cured this. I'm now using Kontakt on a different computer and i don't have these issues anymore.

For me the notes that wouldn't play would be consistent and I'd need to delete them and replace them with new "versions" of themselves..sometimes this would help, other times not. It was hard to pin down. Also sometimes moving the start time a little would help.

Best of luck.

I'm having issues with dropped notes in MidiWorkshop and BFD. I have the rest of my system running smoothly... no problems with audio glitching or vst plugs. It would be really nice if I could get through a song with all the drum hits triggering properly.

Bob L
04-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Yes... there was an update that corrected the problem for Kontakt... even though it was also Kontakts issue as far as I was concerned, since again, the same output from the MWS played in all my other plugins fine.

I am not sure if that update fixed anything for BFD though... it seems to be a different issue... but who knows...

Make sure you are using the latest SAWStudio and MWS versions.

SAWStudioBasic = 1.4m
SAWStudioLite and Full = 3.9m
Midi WorkShop = 1.6c

(At the time of this message... April 11, 2006)

Bob L

matt
04-11-2006, 07:12 PM
For me the notes that wouldn't play would be consistent and I'd need to delete them and replace them with new "versions" of themselves..sometimes this would help, other times not. It was hard to pin down. Also sometimes moving the start time a little would help.

This is exactly the same behaviour I am experiencing. Also, if I play the song from the top, the same notes are always dropped. If I play the song from a bit before the dropped note, the note plays. I hope this issue can be resolved soon. It is the only flaw in my setup and there is no apparent work-around.

Bob L
04-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Are you using the current versions of SAWStudio and the MWS?

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
04-12-2006, 07:05 AM
This is exactly the same behaviour I am experiencing. Also, if I play the song from the top, the same notes are always dropped. If I play the song from a bit before the dropped note, the note plays. I hope this issue can be resolved soon. It is the only flaw in my setup and there is no apparent work-around.

Latest of each I have this very problem on occasion. I always just create a new track with the missed note and it seems to work ok?

Bob L
04-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Will the track play on another VST synth or sound module and not skip the note?

This has been the problem for me in chasing it down... I am not really sure who has the problem... MWS or the particular VST synth.

If MWS is skipping the notes, then why would they play on another module fine?

I need something to duplicate the problem with evrytime so I can see what might be going on.

I have yet to run across this with the sound modules and synths I have... the Kontakt fix was the only time and my modifcations helped with that... but they should not have had to be done, in my opinion.

Bob L

matt
04-12-2006, 01:29 PM
I have the latest version of Basic and MWS. The dropped notes are always the same ones when I play the song from the top. I'm also using three UAD-1 cards and two Mixtreme's... with the dwave driver.

AudioAstronomer
04-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Im sending midi out, not using vsti's. and like matt if I fiddle with where I begin playback I can get them to play. If i go from the start they are gone.

All the problems I have have been through imported midi files, but that's what I always work with so I dont know if that's related?

Bob L
04-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Robert,

Can you send me one of the midi files and let me know what notes don't play for you... let me see if I can duplicate that.

By the way... some midi ports have trouble with the Long Midi messages the MWS uses for higher performance... try setting the short midi compatibility in the MWS Options menu on your midi ports and see if that helps.

And also let me know the sound modules you are using.

Bob L