PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 nightmare

dbarrow
06-01-2016, 11:01 AM
I had a strange occurance last night during the live recording of Songwriters Across Texas in Austin. I am running the latest versions of SAC and SAW with Windows 10. I have had this working flawlessly for a few months. In the middle of recording one of the acts, both SAC and SAW froze and all audio ceased. I couldn't exit either one, even in Task Manager. I could switch to an instance of notepad I had open and an instance of Explorer and I was able to shut these down, but I had to hard boot the computer to get back to where I was. At one point before I did this, a blue screen flashed up and said something like "Configuring Security Options". As far as I know, I had all the stuff disabled or shut off and I don't think there was anything in the Task Scheduler either. After I rebooted I was able to resume without issue. Does anyone have any ideas about this? I want to try and prevent it from happening again. It was only mildly embarrassing, because I was on good terms with the artists and the producer, but I can see how this could have been far worse under other circumstances. Luckily, I save often and was able to get back up to where I was before the lockup.

Jeff Scott
06-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Nothing running via Wireless?

dbarrow
06-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Yes. I had a wireless remote running. How do I keep Windows 10 from crashing SAC and SAW because of that? I have used a wireless remote for months without this happening. What changed?

Bob L
06-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Sounds like maybe some kind of auto update took off... this stuff can be hard to shutdown...

Bob L

Mattseymour
06-01-2016, 02:36 PM
Windows 10 is an unmitigated disaster for anything that needs stability and no auto updates. The only answer I've found is to ensure the machines never get internet access. It's basically not possible to stop auto updates on Windows 10. To do this you need third party software.

Andreas
06-01-2016, 10:28 PM
On my small win10 Tablet, i disabled the windows update service (Computerverwaltung / Dienste und Anwendung). After that there were no more auto updates.

Best Wishes
Andreas

Mattseymour
06-02-2016, 01:07 AM
I think disabling a service can work, but it depends on the updates already on the machine. Windows 10 will re-enable auto updates if you disable them.

If you google how to disable windows 10 updates (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+disable+windows+10+updates) you'll find there are all sorts of possible weird workarounds using metered connections and resorting to group policy (pro or enterprise only) and even then there's mixed success. What should be a straight forward option just isn't any more.

dbarrow
06-02-2016, 08:49 AM
I am pretty sure I had all this turned off in services, group policy, etc. It may have had something to do with WiFi, though. I am using a closed network with no internet access. Maybe the remote was trying to update or it somehow triggered a "security" alert on the host. Another possibility is that my iPhone may have tried to get on the network that the SAC computer and remote were on. I don't think I have it authorized to do that, but maybe that threw the host into some sort of security check, which locked it up. I may be able to test this at home.