PDA

View Full Version : Alternate "offline" user account?

Cary B. Cornett
06-22-2016, 06:58 AM
A few months ago I bought a re-conditioned Toshiba Satellite laptop (model C675-S7104) running Win7 pro for use in a "mini" recording rig. I did all of the suggested windows tweaks for SAW/SAC. SAW seems happy, SAC definitely is not. I have had suggestions to eliminate all network-related services, which would be fine, except that I also have online uses for this machine. So, how to get both?

I thought of the idea of setting up a separate "offline" user account with no network functions, but I don't know if that will work.
Can different user accounts have different lists of disabled services? Is it possible to set up one account for online use, and another for "strictly audio" with no network functions?

Or is there some other method I need to use?

Naturally Digital
06-22-2016, 09:22 AM
A few months ago I bought a re-conditioned Toshiba Satellite laptop (model C675-S7104) running Win7 pro for use in a "mini" recording rig. I did all of the suggested windows tweaks for SAW/SAC. SAW seems happy, SAC definitely is not. I have had suggestions to eliminate all network-related services, which would be fine, except that I also have online uses for this machine. So, how to get both?

I thought of the idea of setting up a separate "offline" user account with no network functions, but I don't know if that will work.
Can different user accounts have different lists of disabled services? Is it possible to set up one account for online use, and another for "strictly audio" with no network functions?

Or is there some other method I need to use?Look up hardware profiles. Again I think the blackviper site gets into some of this.

I will say I prefer to have a separate hard drive with it's own install (only usually possible with an OEM (Toshiba) license for windows) - in my case they are HP machines. I've set machines up so I can easily swap the system drive. Not always easy on a laptop but I find this cleaner and more reliable that a dual-boot type setup. Again, if the drive on the laptop isn't easy to swap, then not really an option.

Cary B. Cornett
06-22-2016, 01:13 PM
Look up hardware profiles. Again I think the blackviper site gets into some of this.

I will say I prefer to have a separate hard drive with it's own install (only usually possible with an OEM (Toshiba) license for windows) - in my case they are HP machines. I've set machines up so I can easily swap the system drive. Not always easy on a laptop but I find this cleaner and more reliable that a dual-boot type setup. Again, if the drive on the laptop isn't easy to swap, then not really an option. According to Black Viper, Win7 does not allow alternate hardware profiles. I am back to the question about whether different user accounts can have different services enabled/disabled.

Cary B. Cornett
06-22-2016, 01:17 PM
Update: I learned on the Black Viper site that all service changes are GLOBAL, applying to all user accounts. So I guess the answer to my original question is "NO". :(

Warren
06-22-2016, 01:53 PM
Update: I learned on the Black Viper site that all service changes are GLOBAL, applying to all user accounts. So I guess the answer to my original question is "NO". :(

Been awhile but cant you run batch files to kill or start services for network use?
Like I said been awhile

RBIngraham
06-23-2016, 12:41 PM
I think you could create multiple installations of the same OS. Lotta hassle and space waster but it might work.

Cary B. Cornett
06-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Been awhile but cant you run batch files to kill or start services for network use?
Like I said been awhile
I have in fact started looking into that. Time to learn a new skill...

mr_es335
06-24-2016, 09:20 PM
Cary,

Can I call you sometime..send me a PM!

PS: I just may have another alternative!!!