PDA

View Full Version : Questions-in the best interest of SAW

mghtx
06-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Bob, I have some questions........

First let me just say that I find Saw to be superior than the other apps I have personally used. I harp on it all the time to personal friends and on other forums. One of the BIGGEST gripes I hear is about the price. How did you determine what the price would be?

I think SSbasic is a steal at $300. Others would say, "well you can get Sonar or Cubase at (X amount) and have unlimited tracks AND MIDI." Or, "Nuendo cost $1200 and you get unlimited tracks and MIDI and video."

Would you consider lowering SSlite to say around $800 and SawStudio to around $1200? Do you think this would get Saw in the hands of more people? I appreciate the release of SSbasic at $300. I know you have worked very hard and spent many years of your life to give us Saw and, truth be known, it is worth MORE than $2500. So I'm asking in the best interest of Saw.

Thanks. :)

AudioAstronomer
06-24-2004, 07:39 PM
You can get SSlite for 900 already.

The price of SawStudio for the feature increase will always keep me away from it personally. I, and many other people, really only need (or shall I say, want) maybe 2-3 of the extra features in SS. To me, not work 1100$. Im perfectly happy with SSL unless a price change comes in :) Id gladly pay 400-600$ for the features in SS I want (the wide and zoom mixer, and 8 multitrack layers)... but the extra features, that Ill never use, are not worth the extra 500$ I could easily just spend on something more worthwhile.

Honestly, I think the prices are fair :) My only minor qualm would be with the spreading of features... you get quite a bit for the 600$ difference (after VIP discount) between basic and lite.... the 1100-1300$ difference between lite and SS gets you... well not much more usable features comparably. Sure you are gaining 36 more tracks, rather than 12 more tracks.... but the possibility most users will utilize that? eh... I can see it being quite fair actually. Like any human, I wish things were more to my favor :)

mghtx
06-24-2004, 07:59 PM
I agree Audio on Lite. It is the best deal hands down. But the wide mixer just flat out kicks!

Yeah, Lite is $900 from vendors but would be a little less if $800+/- from Bob.

AudioAstronomer
06-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Yeah. The Zoom and Wide mixers are the only reason for me to upgrade to SS. Not worth more than double the price to me :( There are indeed many other features included in the update though, which can easily justify the price, too bad for me I dont need em hehe.

As it is, Ive managed to navigate pretty darn fast without the mixer views. Their value lessens everyday when I learn a new trick about speeding around the interface.

mghtx
06-24-2004, 08:07 PM
Robert, am I right in thinking you do this for a living? If that is the case could you not write off the $500 as an expense? :p

AudioAstronomer
06-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Robert, am I right in thinking you do this for a living? If that is the case could you not write off the $500 as an expense? :p

Yep. and it would be 1100$. And Id love to explain that to my accountant. :)

Id rather write off something more usefull ;) Like a nice couch. Because that's a legitimate expense hehe. At least it was this april ;)

Dave Tosti-Lane
06-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Actually, the one feature that makes the full Studio version absolutely indispensable for me is the ability to have all 6 library windows open at once.

In sound design for live theater, virtually all my work is building complex environments of sound using many, many short bits of sound interwoven in space and time - and I almost always have all the library windows open and loaded during a session.

Dave Tosti-Lane

Bob L
06-25-2004, 12:45 AM
How did you determine what the price would be?

I have said this before many times... the price was determined by looking at the cost of the equipment that I can replace with SAWStudio and then comparing to the competition and what I thought the market would bear... and quite frankly, what I felt would allow me to make a living without a huge company and support staff behind it having to deal with hundreds of thousands of a customer base in order to see a profit.

There are many reasons that I feel the jump from Lite to Full is worth the $1100 price... let's just start with another 36 Hi quality mastering Eq's, each of which could easily replace hardware eq's costing much more than $1100 each.

The Zoom and Wide mixer views, alone are indespensible, once you become dependent on them, let alone the extra tracks, layers, and as Dave said... the Library views for serious sound design work.

Add another 36 tracks worth of hardware based multitrack to your studio and see if you can do that for a mere $1100.

Debating about the details of why SAWStudio is worth the price or 100 times the price is again one of those meaningless debates that in the end usually leads nowhere.
Each person has to decide whether SAWStudio is worth it to them and their needs.

Basic is more than many will ever need or use.

Lite may be perfect for Robert.

Full may be a must for many others.

3 or 4 Full versions running in Slave Mode may be the ticket for the next guy.

It really is all relative to the individual's perspective on the value of what any version of SAWStudio or any other piece of equipment or software can bring to that person's production needs. That's why I made three flavors available.

That's also why I made such an incredible upgrade path available... because people's needs and desires evolve over time... what's right for you today, will most likely change for you sometime in the near (hopefully:) ) future... and you'll move up the ladder... and then a week later wonder why it took you so long. :D

Bob L

Studio de' Lara
06-25-2004, 06:05 AM
I think Bob priced this right. When my partner and I decided to upgrade from SawPro, we checked ALOT of apps. For all the editing capabilties, routing options, sound etc., we went with Studio. With the Live Input working well now, a hardware console is redundant. The only thing missing was CD burning direct from Saw, but we already had Samplitude, which filled that gap.

Regards,
Rich

mghtx
06-25-2004, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the explanation Bob. That's goes with what I was thinking. I was not aware that you had explained this before so again, thanks.

bertie
06-25-2004, 07:00 AM
I have said this before many times... the price was determined by looking at the cost of the equipment that I can replace with SAWStudio and then comparing to the competition and what I thought the market would bear... and quite frankly, what I felt would allow me to make a living without a huge company and support staff behind it having to deal with hundreds of thousands of a customer base in order to see a profit.

There are many reasons that I feel the jump from Lite to Full is worth the $1100 price... let's just start with another 36 Hi quality mastering Eq's, each of which could easily replace hardware eq's costing much more than $1100 each.

The Zoom and Wide mixer views, alone are indespensible, once you become dependent on them, let alone the extra tracks, layers, and as Dave said... the Library views for serious sound design work.

Add another 36 tracks worth of hardware based multitrack to your studio and see if you can do that for a mere $1100.

Debating about the details of why SAWStudio is worth the price or 100 times the price is again one of those meaningless debates that in the end usually leads nowhere.
Each person has to decide whether SAWStudio is worth it to them and their needs.

Basic is more than many will ever need or use.

Lite may be perfect for Robert.

Full may be a must for many others.

3 or 4 Full versions running in Slave Mode may be the ticket for the next guy.

It really is all relative to the individual's perspective on the value of what any version of SAWStudio or any other piece of equipment or software can bring to that person's production needs. That's why I made three flavors available.

That's also why I made such an incredible upgrade path available... because people's needs and desires evolve over time... what's right for you today, will most likely change for you sometime in the near (hopefully:) ) future... and you'll move up the ladder... and then a week later wonder why it took you so long. :D

Bob L

Strange :confused:

I always thought why are you selling your products in low price :confused:

Your SAWStudio and other SAW powerfull plugins replaced all my hi-tech equipment i used in my recording studio. I bought SAWStudio for 2500 and i sold all my studio equipment for 36000 - and the funny part is that i'm beginning to have more clients then before :confused: :)

P.S. IT WAS THE INVESTMENT OF THE CENTURY:)

Bertie,(lifetime SAWStudio user)

Carey Langille
06-25-2004, 07:03 AM
Quality programming deserves proper payment. Bob has shown us all, time and time again, that he's willing to go ABOVE and beyond the call of duty! No charge for the MANY great tutorials we receive, help videos, email support, most updates (unless there are major system changes, then its only $100).... This is ALL worth MUCH MUCH more to me...

OH yea, and it EVEN sounds AWESOME to boot!

Happy Sawing! :)

Oz Nimbus
06-25-2004, 09:02 AM
Well, I'm seriously looking at upgrading to SSL. That, and after doing some in-freaking-tense mixing this week, selling my Mackie Control, as I've hardly touched it! Talk about a great interface!

-0z-

Carl G.
06-25-2004, 09:38 AM
I chose the full version (the only option at the time) and am extremely happy I did. It not only replaces a console (I use a console only for monitoring interface) and replaces a rack of gear, it adds stuff I never had before for LESS money than I ever paid before!
Things like: Tons of more inputs, stereo faders, full channel effects, patchable inserts, Library views, dozens and dozens of hi quality rack gear (plugins), 20 more output channels, full console automation, rack gear (plugin) automation, stored customizable automation, etc. etc. etc.
In a nut shell: it broke the business paradigm of pick 2 of three (never get all three). SawStudio gives you all three: Price, Speed, Quality!
....All in a package that excites boundless creativity.
Carl

AudioAstronomer
06-25-2004, 10:09 AM
Well, I'm seriously looking at upgrading to SSL. That, and after doing some in-freaking-tense mixing this week, selling my Mackie Control, as I've hardly touched it! Talk about a great interface!

-0z-

Upgrade through TSM :)

You'll have money left over after getting rid of the crappie control :)

Yet for some reason Im still selling one of my more expensive keybords with the design to get SawStudio... those 2 views... You made me think about it different. Not only am I getting 2 new views.. Im getting 72 of them each. And Ive happily gone through 35-36 track projects in lite... not even giving a secound thought to the cool things I could do splitting those 36 tracks out a bit and utilize those cool routing features and automation and fades ....

Thanks for explaining Bob... it is nice to hear it when you're in different points in your decision making process. The human mind has an amazing ability to lock on to an idea however wrong it is, and rationlize it to death. Sometimes that needs correcting :)

Oz Nimbus
06-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Upgrade through TSM :)

. The human mind has an amazing ability to lock on to an idea however wrong it is, and rationlize it to death. Sometimes that needs correcting :)

You mean like spending 3 hours EQing a guitar to perfection, only to realize you've been twisting the knobs on the snare track? :D
(That was an Ethan Wiener quote.... and unfortunately, all too true.)

MMP
06-25-2004, 10:50 AM
You mean like spending 3 hours EQing a guitar to perfection, only to realize you've been twisting the knobs on the snare track? :D
(That was an Ethan Wiener quote.... and unfortunately, all too true.)
If there is no client present, did it really happen?http://www.sawstudiouser.net/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

MM

spiritman
06-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Lowwer the price???? I thought it was time to RAISE it!!!

Noting but noting is in the class of Saw Studio.
Thanks Bob.....

Dave Tosti-Lane
06-25-2004, 10:05 PM
Wait - I forgot about the Zoom Mixer! It's the Library views and the Zoom Mixer !

Oh yeah - I also forgot that the last wind, rain and ocean sound cue I built for a stage show was 40 tracks, mixed down to 8 for playback in the theater. <grin>

Dave Tosti-Lane

Burkeville
06-26-2004, 07:31 PM
I think the price should be raised.