PDA

View Full Version : SawStudio "Not Responding" when attempting to close

Carl G.
10-03-2016, 03:59 PM
Perhaps unrelated to the update... but now when attempting to close out of SawStudio I get:
1. "Shut Down in progress" notice
2. Blue circle (working on it icon)
3. Then SawStudio just hangs in this mode Hang.... Task manager indicates "SawStudio Not Responding"
4. Only way to close SawStudio is through Task Manager "End Process"

Has anyone got this error.
Anyone have a clue in trouble shooting... or an experienced "Fix"?

Thanks

Bob L
10-03-2016, 04:56 PM
Nothing like that reported so far... make sure it is not related to the use of a specific plugin... try running SAWStudio and exiting without opening a session first... if that works... then try opening some older sessions that worked ok... then try your newer current sessions... it might actually be caused by a plugin issue.

Bob L

Carl G.
10-03-2016, 06:10 PM
Nothing like that reported so far... make sure it is not related to the use of a specific plugin... try running SAWStudio and exiting without opening a session first... if that works... then try opening some older sessions that worked ok... then try your newer current sessions... it might actually be caused by a plugin issue.

Bob L

Bob,
1. I started without opening any EDL (but do have default plugins) and it still hung.
2. I cleared all channels of plugins, cleared everything to clear in the Mixer menu, cleared the default mix template, and cleared the default F-Keys.
3. I Resaved a new EDL with everything cleared.... SawStudio still "Unresponsive" when attempting to exit.

Tried opening some previous working EDLs.... still SawStudio is "Unresponsive" when attempting to exit.

I did notice that after clearing the default template that all input channels 73-120 had odd maxed out channel settings:
All Fader Pans all the way left
All EQ - all 6 adjusted max at -15db
All Aux Pans all the way left
All Gate thresholds at max (all the way left)
All Compressor thresholds at max (all the way left)

CurtZHP
10-03-2016, 06:54 PM
It just wants to keep on making music!

Sort of like how some airplanes are so well designed they're hard to keep on the runway once they're up to speed.

:cool:

Bob L
10-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Try installing the update in a new test folder. Open that and set it up fresh... see if that has a problem exiting.

If that works... consider using the Clear Default preference options on the normal installation and restarting the program... see if that fixes the problem... then just reset your settings and resave the prefs.

No one else has reported any issues and I have been using the new one here in the studio with no issues.

You might also consider installing the last version and see if it still crashes... if so... then something else has changed on your system and it has nothing to do with the update.

If you have plugins in a default mix template, then just the fact that those plugs have loaded could be what is hanging up the shutdown... try clearing the default mix template and then restarting the program... see if that still crashes.

Bob L

Carl G.
10-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Try installing the update in a new test folder. Open that and set it up fresh... see if that has a problem exiting.

If that works... consider using the Clear Default preference options on the normal installation and restarting the program... see if that fixes the problem... then just reset your settings and resave the prefs.

No one else has reported any issues and I have been using the new one here in the studio with no issues.

You might also consider installing the last version and see if it still crashes... if so... then something else has changed on your system and it has nothing to do with the update.

If you have plugins in a default mix template, then just the fact that those plugs have loaded could be what is hanging up the shutdown... try clearing the default mix template and then restarting the program... see if that still crashes.

Bob L
Thank-you, Bob. I'll try those suggestions. However, I was able to (somehow) duplicate the problem on a previously good 5.5 backup install with no update, so I know it has nothing to do with the update. If I pin it down, I'll let you know.

Carl G.
10-03-2016, 09:57 PM

Bob L

Found it! It's a few custom lines in my Native Plugins .ini file. If I revert back to an .ini file from several months ago it works fine.... an .ini file that worked before I updated Windows 10 - 1607 update which did change behavior of a few other programs.

Bob L
10-04-2016, 12:59 AM
Custom lines that say and attempt to do what?

Bob L

Carl G.
10-04-2016, 12:09 PM

Bob L
Simple mistakes....Double entries of some plugins, as I recall that were commented out in one ini file but not the other. When I get back into it tonight, I'll play around with cause and effect on some specifics.

Carl G.
10-06-2016, 03:14 PM

Bob L

Thanks for the pointers/suggestios in helping solve this particular problem (generated by my error).
The only differences between the SawStudioFX_Native.ini file that worked and the one that would not let me exit SawStudio, were duplicate extra entries of:
Studio_FX_FreqAnalyzer.dll
Studio_FX_FreqAnalyzer_2.dll
Studio_FX_Levelizer.dll

I verified the behavior of the mistaken doubled entries by file comparisons and switching files - with dependable repeated results (all other parameters staying the same):
The .ini file with duplicated entries caused the hangs during attempted closing of SS.
I eliminated the mistaken duplicate entries and everything works consistently perfect now.

Now to move on to the great advantages of the new update!
Thanks, Bob.

bcorkery
10-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Glad you got it sorted out & thanks for the follow up.