PDA

View Full Version : Real Time Automation

andysharifi
01-18-2017, 02:20 PM
I just recently bought a touchscreen overlay for my 32" 1080p monitor, and it wasn't that great until i got a custom thick glass made for it, which improved the touch quality by 1000%. Feels like im using an ipad now.

Anyway, since VST can't be automated, and I wanted to do real time automation, how would you guys approach that? For example, if I'm adjusting the WET amount on a VST reverb with my finger, how can I get SS to record the resulting audio while playing in real time even though it wont record the finger automation?

Dave Labrecque
01-18-2017, 06:49 PM
I just recently bought a touchscreen overlay for my 32" 1080p monitor, and it wasn't that great until i got a custom thick glass made for it, which improved the touch quality by 1000%. Feels like im using an ipad now.

Anyway, since VST can't be automated, and I wanted to do real time automation, how would you guys approach that? For example, if I'm adjusting the WET amount on a VST reverb with my finger, how can I get SS to record the resulting audio while playing in real time even though it wont record the finger automation?

Threew
'
Three ways I can think of:

1) assign the track to physical out, then loop that back into your record channel, either with a patch cable or a mixer (either a hardware or a software mixer).

2) do the same thing virtually (patch cable, that is), using something like Virtual Audio Cable

3) use the free JMS aux send/return plugin to send the track's audio to your record channel. I'm not so sure about this one; it depends on if you can patch the aux return before a record tap point on a channel. May not be doable.

cgrafx
01-18-2017, 06:56 PM

To do exactly what your asking directly, just add the VST as an aux effect and automate the return channel.

No need to muck around trying to route in and out.

edit: for explicit instructions
---------------------------------
1. Add the VST to the Aux return channel.
2. Set the wet amount in the VST to 100% (No dry signal in the mix).
3. Use the Aux return channel level to blend in as much or as little of the effect as desired. (with full automation)

Dave Labrecque
01-19-2017, 07:36 AM
To do exactly what your asking directly, just add the VST as an aux effect and automate the return channel.

No need to muck around trying to route in and out.

edit: for explicit instructions
---------------------------------
1. Add the VST to the Aux return channel.
2. Set the wet amount in the VST to 100% (No dry signal in the mix).
3. Use the Aux return channel level to blend in as much or as little of the effect as desired. (with full automation)
Duh.Of

Slick and elegant for the example he cites.

Of course, if something other than wet/dry needed to be automated on a plug-in, the problem becomes a different beast.