PDA

View Full Version : Filter Explorer

Carl G.
04-15-2005, 10:04 AM
How do I quickly filter for extensions in Explorer with wild card characters (like we used to be able to do in "Filemanager")?

Gets frustrating when I'm only looking for the DOC file in a large SawStudio Directory.
(So that _only_ the files with desired extensions show up) as I'm browsing through directories.

JonathanT
04-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Hi Carl

Not quite sure what you mean about the wild card characters but you can hit the Type column at the top to divide the list into file types (i.e. any doc files would group together) - does this help?

Jonathan

Jay Q
04-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Carl,

Select the directory you want to search (or you can search the entire drive). Hit Ctrl + F (or click the search button). In the search field, type *.fileextension where "fileextension" is the extension for the type of file you want. So, for DOC files, you'd type *.doc.

Jay

Carl G.
04-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Carl, Select the directory you want to search (or you can search the entire drive). Hit Ctrl + F (or click the search button). In the search field, type *.fileextension where "fileextension" is the extension for the type of file you want. So, for DOC files, you'd type *.doc. Jay
Exactly what I'm looking for. I didn't realize the search is actually part of the same explorer (I had thought search was a separate program from explorer... but I see now that its results are located at the bottom of the directory tree when pressing the folders icon).
It's quicker in a way than file mgr - as it can show multiple folder results.
Thanks Jay.