PDA

View Full Version : Editing 'Reverse Audio' MT Entries

Dave Labrecque
06-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Hi Bob,

How tough would it be for you to massage the code to do the following?

1) Double clicking on the MT entry brings the cursor to the same referenced sample in the SF view.

2) Same as 1), but with the addition of matching reversed waveform and audio data.

3) MT editing operations (K, R, U, mark and delete) cause the entry data to respond as one would expect (for lack of a better way to phrase it :)). It looks like currently they respond to the same sample values as in 1), above, i.e., counting from the start of the entry's referenced soundfile data, rather than from the end.

Otherwise, such editing is not very doable. It becomes a lot of trial and error. :confused:

I figure the intent of the Reverse Audio feature was for the occasional MT entry. But, alas, there are lots of other great ways to use it! I digitized some old quarter-track tapes for a client, and becuase I can reverse one side in SAW, I cut my digitizing time in half! :cool: And that saves the client money. But now I gotta do a little editing... :o

Thanks!

MMP
06-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Building a mix would be faster than realtime.

MM

Dave Labrecque
06-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Hi Michael,

Yes, currently that is often the way to go. I'd like to see SAW's capabilities rounded out a bit. It's actualy confusing right now till you realize you're trying to do things SAW wasn't meant to do, but the waveforms merrily jump around like they know what they're doing. :) Which, when editing the Reverse Audio entries, is not at all what the user is intending.

MMP
06-25-2004, 12:59 PM
I have previously asked Bob for the same thing, as I often use reverse regions for sound effects. So, I understand perfectly what you want. I think it may be on the master list, but where it is on the list, only Bob knows.

MM

Bob L
06-25-2004, 03:45 PM
I have looked at this many times and each time realized it was a major piece of code to accomplish...

At this point, you will want to use the reverse on edited regions after the fact... or do as Michael says... simply reverse and then build a mix of that track to a new file... edit that one...

Again, the build mix is a snap and takes less time than asking this question here on the forum, so I feel that its not too much of a hardship compared to the amount of work and debugging that would have to follow the changes needed to the engine to accomplish the reversed edits...

Hopefully, the next time I look at this problem, I will see some miracle new simple solution... but so far, it is a nightmare peice of code that wedges into many other already stable routines that I hesitate to mess with.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
06-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Bob,

Well in this case it involved some hour-long MT entries, so the build mix approach is actually nontrivial. But I can deal with it. :)

Of course I had no idea it was a nightmarish undertaking. As is often the case with me. :o