PDA

View Full Version : OT: Thunderbolt

mr_es335
05-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Hello,

Anyone using Thunderbolt - with PC's of course?

I am looking at a refurbished Dell Precision LT with 17.3" screen and with Thunderbolt 3.

I am thinking of adding the Focusrite Clarett 8Pre to complete the ensemble.

Any comments or suggestions?

PS: At 63, I really need to consider the portability factor - being the sole roadie and performer as well.

Wurst Werner
05-02-2017, 12:35 PM
I had good results with a Lynx Aurora Thunderbold soundcard and a Lenovo W541 laptop (windows 10, i7-4910MQ CPU, 16GB RAM) using the build in Thunderbold port of the Lenovo. But the overall performance depends very much on the dedicated Windows Thunderbold driver itself. The Motu Windows Thunderbold drivers are not that good for example. Can't comment on the Focusrite, but the Lynx windows drivers for thunderbold are really good, worked stable with 32samples during my test.
Hope that helps.

I hope, that I can can get one of the new PreSonus Quantum interfaces. I like to test it also with windows&thunderbolt.

Butch Bos
05-02-2017, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE= the Lynx windows drivers for thunderbold are really good, worked stable with 32ms during my test.
.[/QUOTE]

Hope you meant 32 samples and not 32ms of latency

Butch

Jeff Scott
05-02-2017, 02:01 PM
I'm using Presonus Saffire 54 into an Asus Laptop via the Laptops' integral Thunderbolt port. I am using it for SAW and Reaper but I can get latency's at 64 samples with out issues. I've not done any tracking, only mixing, so I cannot speak to a SAC / Live audio situation...

The Asus spec's are Intel i7 2.4GHz and 12G RAM

mr_es335
05-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Hello,

Thanks all for the replies.

It would appear that for the most part, Thunderbolt on the PC platform is still a fairly new technology, and I really do not want to be on the cutting edge of this technology.

I know that the Pro40 worked well with FireWire and therefore, I may just go that route again.

PS: I do have Focusrite looking into this at the moment, so I will just have to wait and see what they have to say. I do know that the Clarett 8Pre is not Thunderbolt 3 compatible.

Wurst Werner
05-02-2017, 11:37 PM
Hope you meant 32 samples and not 32ms of latency

Butch

lol...you're right, I meant 32 samples.

Dave Labrecque
05-03-2017, 07:12 AM
Hey, a little slap-back is cool. Even at 100% wet. ;)