PDA

View Full Version : Ack

specialk
04-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Hi all,

I'm seeing strange things in MWS, and it's time I asked for some help. I've twiddled and fiddled as much as I can to work around these problems, but to no avail.

1)

When I record directly from my Yamaha DTX (drum trigger module + drum machine) into MWS, it appears that the note on and note off events are being inverted, so I end up with strange looking, extremely long notes, which makes editing a pain.

If I quantize the note length and then try to delete the long notes that remain (at the beginning and at the end of the song), it plays relatively OK in the middle of the song, but if I play either the beginning or the end of the song, it must send some pretty strange MIDI data back to the DTX, because the DTX starts making sounds that I didn't even know it was capable of making, and I have to cycle the power on the DTX to get back control of it.

2)

My DTX has a drumset-like foot controller for the hi-hat, and so when I record the drums directly into MWS, I get a fair amount of foot controller events (which is great).

The problem happens when I try to quantize or manually move the hi-hat notes around - even if I move the corresponding foot controller events to (what I believe to be) exactly the same places in time relative to the hi-hat notes, the hi-hat plays differently (usually muted).

The weirder thing is that, without crossing the time boundary of a given foot controller event, if I slide a hi-hat note slightly to the left or to the right, even just a few hundredths of a beat to the left or to the right, the sound changes ... it's like the note plays differently depending on its position within a given beat ! (beat = quarter note in 4/4, say). Very strange !

3)

I have two sound cards, with the DTX coming in through one card's MIDI port, and my keyboard coming in through the other card's MIDI port.

I can only get *one* of the two input devices (DTX or keyboard) to work at a time, and to do this, I have to define the device I want to use as port 1 (Input) in MWS.

Shouldn't I be able to use both inputs at the same time ? I need to (i.e. we jam live and record).

The output MIDI ports in MWS are working fine in my case ... I can drive either sound card's MIDI outputs from the device I've assigned to MIDI Input Port 1.

4)

Why do I have to activate the MIDI-through button to record ? This is inconvenient, as it results in a funny (and distracting) phasing sound in my DTX's outputs (which I believe is caused by the DTX having to play a drum sound twice - once right away as I hit my drum kit, and a second time very shortly thereafter as MWS is through-ing the MIDI note back to my drum kit).

I don't have a "local-note disable" option on the DTX. I can make the DTX deaf to external MIDI during recording (which is kind of annoying, because then I have to switch it off during recording and back on during playback), but even if I do, I won't be able to have MWS' click/conductor track send its MIDI output to the DTX so that I can hear the click track as I record.

Can you explain the logic in having to enable MIDI-through to record ? I don't get it. I don't think it's physically necessary ...

AudioAstronomer
04-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Could this be what's happening with mitch's 880!?!?

Bob L
04-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Are you using USB for the midi port connection?

Is it USB 2.0?

Bob L

specialk
04-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Nope ... I bought a pair of MIDI-to-joystick port connectors to be able to plug my MIDI devices into the soundcards. No USB in sight ...

specialk
04-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Oops ... sorry about the thread name (it's quite vague) ... any way of correcting that Bob ?

Bob L
04-19-2005, 11:56 PM
I've never heard of a problem like this... I wonder if the midi to joystick thing is doing something weird... doesn't make any sense that something could reverse note on/off midi data.

Bob L

Bob L
04-20-2005, 12:03 AM
You do not have to enable the midi thru to record... in fact, if you have no local-off feature on your controller, you must leave the thru OFF.

If the midi thru is on and you arm a record track, then the thru port becomes the deafult record port... but with the thru OFF, you can still select the record options by right-clicking the record button... the port is one of these options.

This also allows you to do multi-port recordings... set each track record port to a different port. Make sure you have entered multiple IN pots as well as OUT ports in the Midi Devices setup.

With complex controller data, you must keep that data in its recorded sync position with the notes... if you slide notes around using the marked area method, the controller data will move also.

I am actually working on Select Mode and individual mode options that will lock controller data to note operations directly... hopefully coming in the next update.

Bob L