PDA

View Full Version : OT recommended audio player?

Cary B. Cornett
03-23-2018, 05:43 PM
Sometimes I just need a simple audio player. For years, my "go-to" for this was foobar2000. As part of the tedious and painful transition to Windows 10, I have found that Foobar and W10 don't seem to play nice together. I absolutely do not want to tie in to either Groove Music or Windows Media Player. I use VLC media player for video files, but it seems it wants to re-sample all audio to 48k, so I guess that one is also outta there for plain audio playback.

I would like to have something that has a small footprint (not all bloated for memory and processor), a relatively plain user interface, and broad file compatibility, including FLAC playback capability. Oh, and I'm looking for a stand-alone program, not a VST plugin. Any suggestions from the crowd here? What are you using?

RobertV
03-23-2018, 09:56 PM
have a look at resonic player

https://resonic.at/

I also use it to quickly find sound effects etc very fast and functional

Angie
03-24-2018, 06:18 AM
have a look at resonic player

https://resonic.at/

I also use it to quickly find sound effects etc very fast and functional

Likes impressive. But does it play .wav only?

UpTilDawn
03-24-2018, 09:07 AM
Likes impressive. But does it play .wav only?

according to their website, it covers many, many file types, Angie.
https://resonic.at/player#formats

radiorog
03-24-2018, 10:41 AM
I've used XM Player for years, and very happy with it. Small, lots of skins, and can play just about any format either native or with plug-ins.

https://support.xmplay.com/index.php

RadioRog

Danny O
03-24-2018, 01:44 PM
I have been using 'Winamp'(by Nullsoft) for years and years. They have recently been bought by another company so I imagine they will be making changes. The latest version is 5.666. When installing, there are many options you can choose, video,cd database, browser plugins, plugins etc., etc., I only choose the Audio components. It's stand alone, small footprint, and small GUI, so put your reading glasses on:). Try the Lite version, I'm sure it's exactly what your looking for.

http://meggamusic.co.uk/winamp/Winamp_Download.htm

Angie
03-24-2018, 02:23 PM
according to their website, it covers many, many file types, Angie.
https://resonic.at/player#formats

Oh. Thanks. I guess I only looked at the Pro page.

Angie
03-24-2018, 02:27 PM
You may also want to look at Quintessential Media Player.

Dave Labrecque
03-25-2018, 03:49 PM
Sometimes I just need a simple audio player. For years, my "go-to" for this was foobar2000. As part of the tedious and painful transition to Windows 10, I have found that Foobar and W10 don't seem to play nice together.

I've been using Foobar2000 with Windows 10 x64 Home without issue. What seems to be the trouble, Cary?

Cary B. Cornett
03-25-2018, 04:27 PM
I've been using Foobar2000 with Windows 10 x64 Home without issue. What seems to be the trouble, Cary?
When I right-click on a selected sound file and select "play in foobar2000" from the menu, foobar2000 never opens. If I first open foobar2000 and attempt to drag and drop the file into the UI, I get that circle-with-line-through-it symbol that indicates "file can't go here". This is in Windows10 Pro. I have the Home version on my laptop, and couldn't use foobar there either.

Reujonik
03-26-2018, 03:37 AM
Maybe you are running foobar with administrator rights. Make sure that the box next to the "run as admiistrator" in the properties>compatibility is unticked.

Richard Rupert
03-26-2018, 06:04 AM
Maybe you are running foobar with administrator rights. Make sure that the box next to the "run as admiistrator" in the properties>compatibility is unticked....and maybe in "compatibility mode for Win XP"...

Dave Labrecque
03-26-2018, 07:24 AM
When I right-click on a selected sound file and select "play in foobar2000" from the menu, foobar2000 never opens. If I first open foobar2000 and attempt to drag and drop the file into the UI, I get that circle-with-line-through-it symbol that indicates "file can't go here". This is in Windows10 Pro. I have the Home version on my laptop, and couldn't use foobar there either.

FWIW, for me, method #1, above, works fine. And method #2 works (loads the sound file into Foobar2000, ready for playback) so long as I drop the file below the various toolbars. I get the circle-with-a-line-through-it above that point, and the "creating shortcut" icon below that point, before the drop. But it works.

Seems like a Foobar install or configuration issue within Windows to me. Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling? I have Foobar2000 set up as my default audio player (double-click on a sound file in File Explorer), FWIW.

Cary B. Cornett
03-26-2018, 01:08 PM
Maybe you are running foobar with administrator rights. Make sure that the box next to the "run as admiistrator" in the properties>compatibility is unticked.
Yes, that's what I was doing. I unchecked the box, and foobar operated normally.

Almost.

During playback, I will get an occasional "click" noise. These happen just one at a time, at random intervals, never less than a few seconds apart, usually more than a minute or so apart. I could back up and replay the same part of the file, and the click would not be there, so I know it was not in the file itself.

So, I installed Resonic and tested it. I got it to play files, and had the exact same random click problem. This suggests that the fault is not with either foobar or resonic.

I spent some time working with SawStudio. During that time, I did not get any of these random clicks. I have "force real time priority" set in SAW. I'm not sure, but I think that before I made that change I was getting occasional random clicks during playback from SAW.

So now I have new questions: Is there some change I can make in Windows 10 to make it "play nice" better with these applications? I have already done all of the recommended tweaks, including the best approximation I can make from Bob's instructions, plus trimming processes according to the latest Black Viper list and the suggestions that Sweetwater posts for computer optimization.

Or, is there some application I don't know about that gets around whatever crap W10 is imposing?

Dave Labrecque
03-26-2018, 02:45 PM
Yes, that's what I was doing. I unchecked the box, and foobar operated normally.

Almost.

During playback, I will get an occasional "click" noise.

Just a thought: have you tried out the different audio device options in Foobar2000? Different drivers sometimes will behave differently.