PDA

View Full Version : Add plugin to multiple tracks at the same time

Dingo
09-28-2019, 06:09 AM
Is there a way to add a plugin, like a tape plugin, to multiple tracks at the same time? I did check the manual but couldn't find the way to do it.

mr_es335
09-28-2019, 07:34 AM
Dingo,

Is there a way to add a plugin, like a tape plugin, to multiple tracks at the same time? I did check the manual but couldn't find the way to do it....Yes...I believe that what you are looking for is a using AUX and Send/Returns.

See the User Manual, page 175, Return/Aux Master Modules.

If you require more assistance, then please let us know.

UpTilDawn
09-28-2019, 07:50 AM
If you want the effect inserted into the channels in Pre or Post position, you can do so, but not in a one-step operation. Choose a single channel and put the effect in it from one of the mixer views (not the MT view). Then use the channel's right-click menu to choose Store FX To Memory (Hold down the left mouse button, while pressing the right button to bring up the right-click menu.). Now select the multiple channels you want the effect inserted into by blackening each channel's number to group them. Then use the right-click menu Recall FX From Memory (along with the same cell number you used to store the FX) to recall the FX into all the grouped channels.

The caveat to this method, aside from being a 2-step instead of a single step, is that in recalling the FX you will remove any FX that are currently inserted into those grouped channels. So it's best to use this method for channels that don't currently have any FX inserted, or to populate multiple channels with multiple same FX at the same time.

Hope this is helpful, also.

Dingo
10-06-2019, 05:36 PM
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the help.

cgrafx
10-06-2019, 07:40 PM
A lot is going to depend on what your trying to accomplish

1. You could add the same plug-in as an effect to individual channels
2. You could add the plug-in as aux fed effect to any selected channels through the Aux feeds
3. You could add the plug-in as a master effect on a sub feed by adding the plug-in to a sub-master and then assign specific input channels to the sub master
4. You could add the plug-in to the final master output buss

Cary B. Cornett
10-07-2019, 04:41 AM
About tape plugins:
If I really wanted that effect, I would probably want it over the whole mix, so putting it in the master output channel would make more sense.
Also, AFAIK, no tape plugin fully emulates what analog tape recording does. There is more going on than just gradual saturation and a low end "head bump", not to mention more hiss. There is also speed instability (wow/flutter and scrape flutter) and, in most tape machines, phase rotation that varies with frequency. If you are really serious about getting the effect of the sound of analog tape, you need to use the real thing. I have done that once or twice (using an Ampex AG440), but it isn't something I want very often (been more than 15 years since I last used that trick). As a former studio tech from back in analog days, I'm definitely up on this stuff, and as an "old guy", I don't have much patience with stuff that emulates <insert magic box of your choice>. I used the real stuff back in the day, not because it was "so cool" but because that's what was there in the rack. When I started using a DAW, I never looked back, and I have never wished for any of the "vintage" stuff I learned on.