PDA

View Full Version : Alan Parsons talks about compressors...

prosodio
04-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Hello, I´ve seen a pos in kvr forum talking about a Future Music interview with Alan Parsons where he explains that he doesn´t like using compressors on every track (nor he does on drums!!) ... What do you think?

"[FM] We live in the era of the heavily compressed and limited mix, but you don't work that way.

[AP] It's a style thing...To some people it's important. To me it's not particularly vital. I'd much rather have increased dynamics at the expense of a bit of percieved volume...

But it's not as if I don't use compressors; I certainly do. I would never think of recording a vocal without compressing it...and I usually add some compression to bass...I also prefer not to use compression on drums..."

Pedro Itriago
04-30-2005, 03:48 PM
My thoughts exactly. Although I may or or may not compress drums, depending on the mix needs.

I would much rather like to get my dynamics straight than over compress in the mix/master

David Hayes
04-30-2005, 09:18 PM
The little fella in your avatar pic looks like he is working with no drum compression at all! Nothing to hold him back! :D

David Hayes

Bruce Callaway
04-30-2005, 11:19 PM
My thoughts exactly. Although I may or or may not compress drums, depending on the mix needs.

I would much rather like to get my dynamics straight than over compress in the mix/master
The deciding factor for me is the quality of the drummer and the drum kit. Only certain drummers or musicians can play in a studio to reduce the need for effects to compensate for the inconsistancies in their performance.
Cheers
Bruce

Tim Miskimon
05-01-2005, 11:07 PM
The deciding factor for me is the quality of the drummer and the drum kit. Only certain drummers or musicians can play in a studio to reduce the need for effects to compensate for the inconsistancies in their performance.
Cheers
Bruce

Great reply Bruce. 100% correct in my opinion!
Tim

Bruce Callaway
05-04-2005, 02:25 AM
Great reply Bruce. 100% correct in my opinion!
Tim

Thanks Tim,

The cheque is in the mail :)

Cheers
Bruce