PDA

View Full Version : L&R on separate mono tracks

jmh
12-07-2020, 04:44 PM
I haven't done a lot of drum recording, but when I have, the overheads get recorded as a stereo pair. All the drums get assigned to it's own output track, which in turn is assigned to 1.

Anyway I recently have a bunch of tracks that have the l & R overheads and also room as mono tracks which I thought was handy for balancing L&R levels then sending to an output track to apply a compression... on the pair. But I have noticed that I'm not liking not having all of the drums grouped as one output.

I could re-render the mono pair as stereo and get back to the one group scenerio. But I should ask if there is another way I'm overlooking. Also this would be a good time to ask about a simple plugin to individually control the level of the sides.

UpTilDawn
12-07-2020, 05:10 PM
I haven't done a lot of drum recording, but when I have, the overheads get recorded as a stereo pair. All the drums get assigned to it's own output track, which in turn is assigned to 1.

Anyway I recently have a bunch of tracks that have the l & R overheads and also room as mono tracks which I thought was handy for balancing L&R levels then sending to an output track to apply a compression... on the pair. But I have noticed that I'm not liking not having all of the drums grouped as one output.

I could re-render the mono pair as stereo and get back to the one group scenerio. But I should ask if there is another way I'm overlooking. Also this would be a good time to ask about a simple plugin to individually control the level of the sides.

The Brainspawn SP-1 Stereo Panner SAW plug-in will get you what you want - hosted by TotalSonic these days - http://www.totalsonic.net/brainspawn.htm

As for grouping your individual drum tracks, you could send them to an unused output track, creating a submix that you can completely control, add fx, etc.