PDA

View Full Version : Are any of you using AVB?

jmh
02-11-2022, 05:34 AM
I've been curious about the port I've never used on newer equipment.

Also saw this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032241-REG/intel_i210t1_i210_t1_ethernet_server.html

It supports PCIe Gen 2.1 (2.5 GT/s) and IEEE 802.1Qav Audio-Video Bridging (AVB) for tightly controlled media stream synchronization, buffering, and reservation.
The I210 Ethernet Controller supports IEEE 802.1Qav Audio-Video Bridging (AVB) for customers requiring tightly controlled media stream synchronization, buffering, and reservation. 802.1Qav is part of the AVB specification, which provides a way to bounded latency and latency variation for time sensitive traffic. AVB includes timing and synchronization for time specific applications, (802.1AS) Stream Reservation (SR) protocol, to guarantee the resources needed for Audio/Video (AV) streams (802.1Qat).

...by itself it may not be very useful, but if the drivers expose the streams as audio devices, it seems like it could be pretty cool.

cgrafx
02-11-2022, 10:36 AM
I've been curious about the port I've never used on newer equipment.

Also saw this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032241-REG/intel_i210t1_i210_t1_ethernet_server.html

It supports PCIe Gen 2.1 (2.5 GT/s) and IEEE 802.1Qav Audio-Video Bridging (AVB) for tightly controlled media stream synchronization, buffering, and reservation.
The I210 Ethernet Controller supports IEEE 802.1Qav Audio-Video Bridging (AVB) for customers requiring tightly controlled media stream synchronization, buffering, and reservation. 802.1Qav is part of the AVB specification, which provides a way to bounded latency and latency variation for time sensitive traffic. AVB includes timing and synchronization for time specific applications, (802.1AS) Stream Reservation (SR) protocol, to guarantee the resources needed for Audio/Video (AV) streams (802.1Qat).

...by itself it may not be very useful, but if the drivers expose the streams as audio devices, it seems like it could be pretty cool.

I am partially AVB. I use it for my digital splits.

The biggest limitation is that there aren't a lot of AVB interfaces.

I settled on MOTU which are one of the few that standardized on the AVB protocols. Both of my systems (Live and Studio) use RME RayDAT PCI cards and ADAT to get audio into the computer.

My live rig is also configured with AVB across the interfaces which allows me to do a digital split for FOH or other places where I want to route audio to remote locations.

I have attempted a few times to get thunderbolt working, but finding motherboards that properly support thunderbolt is hit and miss even when they say they do. I may do some more playing around with this in the future or even try the USB option to see how stable that is, but it does reduce the channel count vs thunderbolt, and USB is subject to some weird connection issues.

With the RayDAT cards I am assured my interface and drivers are always going to be loaded and available. Thunderbolt should also work similarly, but USB unfortunately doesn't always have that same level of stability.