PDA

View Full Version : Small small, easy request ;)

AudioAstronomer
06-28-2004, 11:49 AM
OK. I have modified my request.

Can alt-T-# can be set to set tempo to marked measures. I.e. alt-t-1 sets tempo at the position to 1 bar. alt-t-2 sets marked position tempo to be 2 bars.

Setting marked tempo like this would make for setting a non-clicktracked project to the grid rather quickly... and thus make editing MUCH easier.

Bob L
06-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Robert,

There would have to be considerations whether we are setting the default tempo or the tempomap entry at a point on the timeline and possibly more.

In many cases where there are multiple variations on a function, I left things to menu selections rather than hotkeys, because it really gets out of control fast.

But I will say, if yoiu are looking for ways to work in Tempo Mode with bars and beats easier... definietly load up the Midi WorkShop. It has tempo adjustments that tranmslate directly back to SAWStudio and modes for doing measure mapping to any live performance that make doing so a breeze.

Whether you would ever edit midi in the MWS or not, as a click track and tempo mapping tool, its pretty powerful.

I plan on doing a Measure Mapping demo video to show the power of that mode, because I know most have never looked at it or understood the concept... but everytime I show it to someone, they can't believe what they just saw. :)

Try the demo, and explore the Measure Map mode... it is unlike most anything else you have found in other sequencers.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Maybe a hotkey just for the set tempo to marked area dialog? :)

I just saw this feature for MWS, and it is looking more tempting everyday... I really need to get over my fear of midi first... and then get a midi card for my computer heh. I am going to try the demo tonight.. thanks Bob.

Bob L
06-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Robert,

If you only want the tempo features, you don't even need a midi card installed. The tempo mapping features are linked directly to SAWStudio and control the whole thing.

And, if you want to do just drum samples for a click track, you can use LoopaZoid or any other VSTi synth to generate the sounds...

You will only need the midi to input from a midi keyboard if you want to perform live.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Yes I am seeing that... the main features I do want are there.... I cant figure out how to make a bloody blank midi region to edit..... I am oh so uneducated with this midi stuff, forgive me :)

I guess Ill just try and find a blank midi file somewhere.... *ducks* :confused:

Bob L
06-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Robert,

Double-Click a patch from the Patch Library in the MWS so the track is active. Then simply arm it for record and press the Record Transport button... play a few notes on the midi keyboard graphic and press stop... you will have some midi notes to push around and copy.

You can also simply create a click conductor track from the Track Global Properties menu. Then you will have all kinds of notes to drag and copy and push around.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-28-2004, 06:35 PM
OK, still figuring it out :)

Just so you know, the FX Choices box keeps overtaking the MWS window. Haven't figured out what causes it yet, but it keeps popping up.

thanks Bob

Bob L
06-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Remember my suggesting to build F-Keys without any overlapping windows.

In fact, I highly recommend following the exact suggestions for F-Key workspace latching to SAWStudio's Alt-F-Keys right in the front of the MWS helpfile.

The Getting Started - Main Window section.

Start out this way and then you can change it around after you get a handle on it. The ride will be much smoother if you go with this flow suggestion. :)

If you link the MWS to the SAWStudio Alt-FKeys, it becomes a powerful way to work... if you want SAW workspaces, press the FKeys and the MWS window disappears... if you want the MWS, press the Alt-FKeys and the MWS window is fully available with the MT at the top of the screen... not overlapping.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
06-29-2004, 12:31 PM
For what it's worth, I, too, think a keyboard shortcut for setting tempo to marked measures and for setting time signature at position would be a big help in speeding up the work. Especially for those who haven't yet been able to make the jump to MWS. :)

AudioAstronomer
06-29-2004, 01:02 PM
As an update, I figured out how to sequence notes and stuff :) I am still figuring at this MWS thing. So intimidating! It's like trying to learn walk again. No real "performance", just a virtual representation of it that.... much more virtual than say a recorded guitar solo... It's mind blowing to think of sometimes really.