PDA

View Full Version : THE GOTCHA FACTOR

ffarrell
06-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Hi all

I have found, like so many here that falling into a well is not the best way to learn to swim.

So let all share any helpful finding that might keep the next guy dry.

1. UPS problem. I found out that most ad/da converter NEED to see the sine wav of your AC power. Some UPS output a square wav.

You will think your audio world has ended.

The 2 converters that I have this happen with are the Tango24 and the AI3.

What happens is you start playback of even 1 track and after about 10 sec. it starts to sound trashy and harsh.

hope this helps

fvf

PS I edited my post to save space on the thread.

ghowardjr
06-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Hey Frank, thanks for the heads-up. Can you be more specific as to what converters you have experienced this problem with, and what were the symptoms?

Thanks,
Gary

TotalSonic
06-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Hey Frank -
Nice to see you here! Great shot of your daughter too.

Can you give us more details of the problems you experienced and what particular UPS caused the problem. I'm very curious and it might help us all to troubleshoot ourselves if we run into the same thing.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

ffarrell
06-29-2004, 03:37 PM
The next thing I have had happen is not marking my files I've copied from CD as read and write able.

Thanks
fvf

ffarrell
06-29-2004, 03:41 PM
I've also copied files to my HD and open Studio and asked it to auto find the files. The system would buffer overrun.

I come to find that the HD was a H: and the CD was a D: so having left the CD in the drive Studio found the files but the CD drive could not keep up.

the tip is always take your cd out of the drive.

thanks

fvf

Angie
07-01-2004, 02:01 PM
The next thing I have had happen is not marking my files I've copied from CD as read and write able.

Thanks
fvf

That one gets me all the time. SIR won't even let you open impulse files that are marked as read only. There should be a utility that automatically switches the attribute after copying the file to the hard drive.

Bob L
07-01-2004, 02:45 PM
XP does not do this anymore... it clears the readonly attribute when you copy the file to the harddrive.

Bob L

Angie
07-01-2004, 03:25 PM
XP does not do this anymore... it clears the readonly attribute when you copy the file to the harddrive.

Bob L

Still using Win2K here. Good to know.