PDA

View Full Version : One more zoom level?

Naturally Digital
05-18-2005, 08:20 AM
I've been thinking about this recent request for cursor jump/placement when editing or looking for an edit point (I think it was Cary C)...

Would it be advantagous to have one more level of zoom in the multitrack before freezing the waveform views? I'm guessing that today's processing power would allow this without glitching but who knows...

Dave Labrecque
05-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Dave,

Doing a lot of VO-oriented editing and production, I have been wanting this since the pre-SAW Studio days. I think I'd even find another two or three levels of moving cursor useful, personally.

UpTilDawn
05-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Personally, if anything, I would like to see the waveform freeze at a smaller (more waveforms on the screen at once) zoom level more often than I would at a tighter level. I think that if it came down to a choice of the way it is, or changing it to a tighter zoom level before it stops scrolling, I'd rather it stay the same.

Given how simple it is to change the zoom level and the various, easy ways there are to keep track of the cursor position....

At a screen resolution of 1280X1024, the MT view filling the screen (minus room on the left edge for the Channel strip) with only two tracks showing, the zoom stops scrolling with something more than 4 full beats available with the meter set to 4/4-120bpm. This allows ample room to maneuver and still see individual beats of (say) a couple drum tracks.

Anything tighter than that before the screen stops scrolling and you tend to loose track very quickly of where the cursor is in relation to beats on the screen. It's a very simple process to zoom in one more level after stopping playback and adjust the cursor position for more precision... Requiring the cursor to keep scrolling until a tighter zoom level is reached would tend to play havoc with your orientation to the music/beats/words...

Just my opinion, of course.

danT