PDA

View Full Version : Shift-Playback with soundcard inputs on channel

AudioAstronomer
06-30-2004, 10:25 PM
I often record from a channel with eq/compression etc.. I love this feature. It is awesome.... can even monitor in realtime more or less as well. Really rocking, makes sawstudio part of the instrument.

I do think I may be missing something though. I just noticed tonight that the shift-playback I've been using does change routing, but my FX are doubled when playing back. So if I eq a kick 6db at 60hz going in... the shift-playback to check how it came out, Im getting yet another 6db boost at 60hz. No wonders Ive been getting confused with somethings lately (particularly why the eq sometimes sounds really extreme, and other times not)...

Is this meant to be the default function of shift-play? I would think adjusting parameters (eq/levels etc..) are kind of futile because shift-playback assumes you have already recorded something and wish to bypass the routings... methinks this should included channel strip/fx which the user probabaly already just recorded.

Can you explain if I am incorrect or missing something Bob? Ive really strained my brain trying to see a possible reason why it does not work this way... and what I can do to acheive my goal in another manner if possible

Bob L
07-01-2004, 01:57 AM
Robert,

At the moment it does simply exchange the input source for the track source data... therefore if you add eq to the recorded signal, you will get a double processing on the playback when using the Shift-Play switch.

But, if you route the Pre-Patch point on the channel in front of the eq and compressor, then you will be recording the signal flat, but you can still monitor the eq that you desire... and your monitoring will be the same when you use the Shift-Play switch.

Many engineers would prefer to record flat signals anyway, because they then have more flexibility of processing during the mix.

You can also do what you want by setting up the last group of console channels as your record inputs and leaving the lower channels as your playback.

For instance... set up chan 30 as the input device for your recording. This channel can now be set to add eq and compression or whatever to the recorded signal.

Now arm Track 1 for record and assign its record meter input source to Mixer Chan 30. When you are through recording the processed signal, and playback normally (without the need for the Shift switch), the signal plays back flat, becuase you are now hearing through channel 1 of the console... obviously you can still add processing there after the fact.

Now when you overdub, simply arm track 2 and assign its record meter source to the same Mixer Chan 30, and repeat the process.

This method also works well for full rythm section recordings (multiple inputs at the same time) as long as you have enough channels to split the console and handle all your inputs.

I do this sometimes in full SAWStudio using channels 49 - 72 for my RME 24 inputs, and that allows me to record up to 48 tracks before I would have to break down the split. Of course this also allows multiple headphone mixes back to the performers by using the pre aux sends.

I am working on a major engine update that will allow full blown tape/line auto switching at punch-in... this concept will take SAWStudio to the final dream stage of complete live recording console and tape replacement, with full tape/source monitor switching and separate monitor routing... but I'm not there just yet. :)

Bob L

Shawn
07-01-2004, 02:13 AM
I am working on a major engine update that will allow full blown tape/line auto switching at punch-in... this concept will take SAWStudio to the final dream stage of complete live recording console and tape replacement, with full tape/source monitor switching and separate monitor routing... but I'm not there just yet. :)

Bob L

Bob,

Do you mean like a real console's control room (monitor) out, that would allow you to solo input or output channels, without disturbing the main stereo output and any cue/monitor mixes that might also be being sent out on seperate hardware devices? That would be very handy when using SAWStudio as a live console as well as for recording.. excellent!! :D

Carlos Mills
07-01-2004, 05:51 AM
Robert,

Now arm Track 1 for record and assign its record meter input source to Mixer Chan 30. When you are through recording the processed signal, and playback normally (without the need for the Shift switch), the signal plays back flat, becuase you are now hearing through channel 1 of the console... obviously you can still add processing there after the fact.

Now when you overdub, simply arm track 2 and assign its record meter source to the same Mixer Chan 30, and repeat the process.

This method also works well for full rythm section recordings (multiple inputs at the same time) as long as you have enough channels to split the console and handle all your inputs.

I do this sometimes in full SAWStudio using channels 49 - 72 for my RME 24 inputs, and that allows me to record up to 48 tracks before I would have to break down the split. Of course this also allows multiple headphone mixes back to the performers by using the pre aux sends.

Bob L

Hi Bob,

Using the above configuration one would have to set the headphone mixes (via AUX SENDS) and monitor mix (FADER / PAN) twice: first for the input record channels (49-72) and then to the input "Play" channels, when using S-R-P mode (overdubbing). Is this right?

Take care,

Carlos

Bob L
07-01-2004, 07:45 AM
Carlos,

Yes... but the input channels are set once and stay that way as you re-use the mics moving down the line arming different tracks.

As you overdub new tracks, you simply open up the mix on the new track so playback after the recording is monitored... actually works pretty nicely.

Bob L

Bob L
07-01-2004, 07:47 AM
Shawn,

You can solo and mute the control signals now without affecting the recorded signal... remember the recording comes from the pre-patch point in this configuration... so mutes and solos do not touch it... they only affect the main mix you are monitoring.

And if you move the pre-patch point as I mentioned above, you can eq, compress, gate and otherwise process the signal without affecting the recording as well.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
07-01-2004, 09:02 AM
Wow Im gonna have to take some time, clear my brain and sit down with this thread and Saw. It seems like there's some very cool things I've been missing on, and i have some new ideas :)

AudioAstronomer
07-01-2004, 10:50 AM
*cough* More auxes with new engine please :) hehe

Oz Nimbus
07-01-2004, 07:30 PM

Bob L

Ah yes, the coveted "holy grail" of SawStudio. I'm sure when you finish it, Bob, it'll be brilliant. Best of luck with it!

-0z-