PDA

View Full Version : So these 2 guys walk into taco bell...

AudioAstronomer
07-01-2004, 09:12 AM
And they see me working (editing) in sawstudio on my laptop. Being engineer types as amazing as it is they ask to sit with me. Now the story begins with all their wonderful escapades with protools and cubase. Horror stories of why they use DAT's and tape now. So I proceed to show them some neat things... the awesome (demo) plugins and the amazing features and results (via headphones). Immediately hooked.

So we move on to a project I had handy that maxes out my cpu, hovering at 98% with high buffers (very rare Ive ever seen this need!)... and proceed to beat the F-keys like an alabama trucker with road rage. Wow indeed.

Then someone asks about editing. Where are the menu's? How do you edit? Can it do xxxx? Oh and the game begins :) My favorite part, editing. So I go through softedge and stick in all sorts of gaps in the audio, fill them in with nonsense. I even amazed myself for a minute there. Then I did a quick vocal comp using all 4 of my layers. The duo now asked how much it costs and where to get it...

Some other things we go over that absolutely astonish them... hardware inserts with no latency! Input channels.. that it's had for years (nuendo JUST got this idea, and it barely works)! Amazing no latency metering (that no other software has.. even DSP systems have very small, noticable latency), Channel following hottrack! The ever so amazing control track... We played a few videos and began wondering; why ever sync again? Of course we touched upon Automation galleries and spent about 30 minutes on library views and the absolute wonders of drum editing with them.... All mostly things these guys were interested in.

Still not done with this lovely story that had been going on for about 3 hours at this point (After showing many various other things and having an extremely elegant solution for each one... including ones I didnt have an answer for myself till the excitement of the moment jogged my mind)... Well they ask for a copy of the program to "try out" and I popped them 2 cds of the demo (which I always have handy, with some free plugins and tools on it... thanks for the idea steve ;) ). And they depart.

Of course Im missing quite a few exciting moments because Ive become tired of writing all this :) But you get the idea... It is really exciting to do! Till now I always chuckled at Bob's enthusiasm on the videos, well knowing there was a lot to get excited about but never could see myself like that. Man if I heard myself Id have laughed to, you would think I was showing pictures of my kid (who doesnt exist yet) or something. Honestly, I never remeber being so enthusiast or enthralled being a whore for tracktion (which I sold well over 200 copies of)... The idea of becoming a VIP affiliate seems very tempting ;) I think I could rather easily get myself a nice shiny version of SawStudio to upgrade from lite :) I will be meeting them again soon at their studio (only 30 minutes away) to give another demo :) They wanna see it actually work on their pIII 900.... muhahaha!

Bob L
07-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Robert,

That's the spirit. :)

This is starting to happen more and more, and I all I can say is "Man What Took So Long??? :D

I'm glad you felt a taste of what I feel when I demo the product... SAWStudio seems to have a passion all its own that can be very contageous.

There is so much more to the DAW experience than the list of menu items and file formats and how many free plugins come with it... sounds like you got that message across.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
07-01-2004, 10:16 AM
The free plugin issue came up quick a bit...after a while I asked them what free plugins they need... compression, EQ and maybe some verb. That issue was settled quickly... particularly when I own nearly every software reverb out there free and paid. (and dislike most of them :( )

The best part of the plugin discussion was getting to tell them prices of some plugins I demo'd by voxengo, anwida and some freebies ;)

They are planning on spending 30,000$ on a new studio core (desk/software + tapedeck) and they seem pretty convinced I just saved them 28,000$ ;) Makes any thoughts I have, or grumbling about price or whatnot seem so insignificant

Oz Nimbus
07-01-2004, 07:40 PM
Hey Robert, I know what you mean about "showing off" SawStudio. I had some longtime clients come back into the studio the other day, and they were floored by how fast I could keep the session moving. New tracks, punch-ins, and edits. These guys aren't even computer literate, and they caught on real quick just how far things had moved ahead.
Then, there's the sound. Let's put it this way, they went home happy:)

mghtx
07-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Robert, that is AWESOME! Great story. Thanks for sharing it here. I wish I could have been there to see those guys react.

And they tell two people, and so on, and so on.......................