PDA

View Full Version : Automation?!

bertie
07-01-2004, 10:42 AM
hi Bob :)

why i cannot automate DX and VST plugins in SAWStudio?
maybe this option is not yet available or i have not a clue how to do it :D

but i tried the same with Nuendo there also i cannot do automation on DX plugins!?

Why? :)

P.S. Please don't call me stuppid :)

Bertie, (lifetime SAWStudio user)

canipus
07-01-2004, 12:56 PM
uhhh...maybe it could be something to do with automation not being part of the DX specification? The plugin design was never meant to incorporate automation..and wasn't this one of the reasons for developing the VST spec?
Maybe someone more informed on this group knows the whole story on this?

Bob L
07-01-2004, 02:53 PM
The newer DirectX protocol added automation functions, but I only remember CakeWalk trying to actually use them.

If I thought DX was convoluted before, the automation functions just took the insanity beyond control, in my opinion.

I won't touch it...

So, these plugins don't automate in SAWStudio because I am not trying to support the kludgy code of DX automation.

My Native automation works much smoother with no real cpu loading problems.

As far as DX and VST plugs, you can patch multiples in and automate the bypass, so you can have presets and switch from one to the other to act like automation.

A suggestion was made by Steve Berson in another thread is to automate preset loading on the fly, so you could change presets at any point in the mix for the same DX or VST Plug. I think this will be the best solution and I am looking into it now.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
07-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Here, here! That's a great compromise! Looking forward to it!

Yura
07-01-2004, 08:28 PM
By the way, literally day ago I tryed some on the Vegas Video, and to my big surprise found that it supports the precisely working automation with all Waves plugins. (every parameter). there are great people in Las Vegas!

Dave Labrecque
07-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Does anyone know more about Wave's automation capabilities? Is this anything that we could enjoy in SAW somehow?

Yura
07-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Does anyone know more about Wave's automation capabilities? Is this anything that we could enjoy in SAW somehow?

Write the code! You will be a man!

TotalSonic
07-02-2004, 12:03 AM
By the way, literally day ago I tryed some on the Vegas Video, and to my big surprise found that it supports the precisely working automation with all Waves plugins. (every parameter). there are great people in Las Vegas!

Actually the Sonic Foundry people who created the Vegas Video app (now owned by Sony) are located in Madison, Wisconsin - quite a distance and definitely a very different climate from Las Vegas!

For me, since there are so many great SAW native plugins now like the JMS and Andwida stuff that really take advantage of the automation possibilities I think being able to load dxp and vsp SAW presets as automateable events would fulfill 95% of my needs (or should I say desires?) for DX and VST automation.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

bertie
07-02-2004, 03:39 AM

Hi Yura :)

listen, I use Sony Vegas 5 as well and few days ago i tried to do an automation on video Fx and it didn't work...any idea?

Yura
07-02-2004, 06:21 AM
Hi Yura :)

listen, I use Sony Vegas 5 as well and few days ago i tried to do an automation on video Fx and it didn't work...any idea?

Hi Bertie,

I actually not very dig into video processing, cause not very interesting abuot it. I only use Vegas (have 4.0) for reconverting little family movies that I do with my camera and for other trivialitis. I do sometimes video editing with Vegas' video fx plugs and all works, I didn' tried to automate them yet. But, my brother is video-engineer, working on the Insite and sometimes using a Vegas for home tasks too, told me this program can do very lot of things.
you better ask me something about SAW :)

Carl G.
07-02-2004, 06:33 AM
I agree with Steve.
However, we need another *important* addition to make it all work - all the time.

A convenient solution (which now has to be done manually):
Option (in Options Menu - Save Directory Choices) to chose where we want to save plugin presets, as follows:
A. Plugins Directory (As is now)
B. EDL Working Directory (for perfect recall even if regular plugin dir presets have been changed - thereby avoiding the lost parameters of a mix)
C. Both A & B above.

It would save a lot of corruption notices I get upon opening older EDLs..
(which says basically) "you lost parameters of plugin ___, must redo all instances of this plugin to make it work in this EDL"). Carn you imagine the nightmare it might be as we fall in love with using lots of different presets (since they will be automated) in a mix, when invariably thru time we may want to clean the clutter of presets... to find that our EDLs don't work anymore.

Carl G.

Yura
07-02-2004, 07:39 AM
Actually the Sonic Foundry people who created the Vegas Video app (now owned by Sony) are located in Madison, Wisconsin - quite a distance and definitely a very different climate from Las Vegas!

For me, since there are so many great SAW native plugins now like the JMS and Andwida stuff that really take advantage of the automation possibilities I think being able to load dxp and vsp SAW presets as automateable events would fulfill 95% of my needs (or should I say desires?) for DX and VST automation.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

How to not agree with it!
anyway, both honey, and spoon, the tones of plugins we need and ready to fill the tank with them.
It will be a genious solution to make not automated plugs to be preset-automated. anyway.
I had some work with the man who is of generation of 50-nth film sound tecnicians having 40 ears length of service with all those ancient tapes and
"scissors-table-sound-editing" gears. after a one month of watching what I do with my tracks and automations, we walked peacefully, talking about details and he said me the thought from his head.... "TOO many space for the improvement that is leads away from rational work"!!!
since he said this, I understood, his generation will NEVER TAKE the things that are outside from theirs produced by decennials-years abutments and habits. NEVER.
the another extremity on the other end of pole is.: if the eager young brain thrash about deal without base of the knowledges with the heaps of tons of super staff, he's realy will not make happy the day, getting mixed up with
all that. I love the SAW for it is arranged to the manner of golden mean, minimum curls with max benefits. summary, it is very simple when it's masterred.