PDA

View Full Version : Which utility to convert WAV or Audio TO ->

Ollie
07-01-2004, 11:41 AM
Hey guys,
What are you using to convert WAV or Audio to MP3, WMA etc? Something that is rock solid and not very expensive would be great.

Thanks for your help :confused:

AudioAstronomer
07-01-2004, 12:02 PM
DbPowerAmp is the top one.

www.dbpoweramp.com

free, and supports many many file times to and from. Works mostly by just right clicking the file in explorer, and selecting convert to (just like send to).

It rocks.

I also use CDeX for cd ripping, since dbpoweramp does not have cddb.

matt
07-01-2004, 01:10 PM
JMS Audioware has a free plugin. I use it all the time.

matt
07-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Here is the link. www.jms-audioware.com/downloads.htm

MMP
07-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Yes...the JMS plugin is especially handy because you can B&E mark, and just build an MP3 of the range direct from the multitrack...great for chunking out multimedia V.O. or individual songs from a multisong EDL.

For batch conversions I also use Audition/CoolEditPro , or the SonicFoundry/Sony Batch Converter because I own 'em (about the only reason Audition gets fired up these days).

MM

Ollie
07-01-2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys I will give these a try. :)

Carl G.
07-02-2004, 06:48 AM
I use Sonic Foundry Batch conversion (because of the hundreds of files being converted in a multimedia project). ... and have used SF for individual files (just out of habit).

After reading MM's post... I'll have to get back into the swing of doing it the quick way directly from SS! I forgot...does it allow 320 kbps mp3's?

Carl G.

MMP
07-02-2004, 07:14 AM
Sure does....

MM

I use Sonic Foundry Batch conversion (because of the hundreds of files being converted in a multimedia project). ... and have used SF for individual files (just out of habit).

After reading MM's post... I'll have to get back into the swing of doing it the quick way directly from SS! I forgot...does it allow 320 kbps mp3's?

Carl G.

Oz Nimbus
07-02-2004, 08:19 AM
To convert .wav to .mp3, I use WinLame. Easy to use, and surprisingly, pretty good sounding for MP3 format. Then again, it uses variable bitrate encoding.

Check it out here, at: http://winlame.sourceforge.net/