PDA

View Full Version : Non-GUI plug-ins

Angie
07-01-2004, 11:52 AM
It would be great if plug-ins without interfaces were blocked from the FX list. VST plug-ins that I've added a wrapper to appear twice on the list. The one with the wrapper will of course open, so there is no need for all of them to be listed. Still the original .dll has to appear in the plug-in folder for the wrapper to use it.

Hopefully my request is a small one. :) This would also clear up the "Trouble Accessing Plugin!" error.

Angie

AudioAstronomer
07-01-2004, 12:01 PM
I had this problem too and supposedly it's solved by groups... I dont really even bother much.. most of the plugins find their way off my computer eventually anyways....

Bob L
07-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Angie,

Just create an FX Choices group for the good VST plugs and then change to that group in the FX Choices window to look at your good plugs any time you need one.

Bob L

Angie
07-01-2004, 03:26 PM
That's too many steps for me. I'll just deal. ;)

Bob L
07-01-2004, 08:27 PM
Angie,

I'm Confused about the 'too many steps' comment... Groups in the Choices view are very fast and a powerful way to work, rather than having to look through long lists of plugins for the one you are trying to use at the moment.

A simple click on the Group button and one more click to display a list of specific plugs, by however you grouped them... all reverbs, all modulation, all compression... etc... in your example, they would be all good VST plugs. :)

Once the groups are saved, they are always available everytime you run SAWStudio.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
07-01-2004, 08:30 PM
is there a "Default" group Bob? groups seem like everytime I want to access a plugin group it's a couple extra clicks...

If you could setup a group for all the "good" plugins, and be able to save this group as a default with F-keys that would be GREAT. Then I would be able to open a large MT-window F-key, the effects choices pops to compression and I select levelizer... go back to a larger MT for mixing, and my main effects group pops up.

Or does it work like this? I tried to find a way for "Default" groups or fkey settings but it never sticks?

Bob L
07-02-2004, 03:16 AM
Come On... are we listening to ourselves... too many clicks... that one is hard for me to take seriously. :)

Select all the VST plugs you like by sliding the mouse in the Choices list, or using the Ctrl-Click till they are all lit up... then click Group and select Add Selected to Group 1. Now go back and name group 1 as VST Favorites. Done.

Now when you want VST plugs, go to your favorite FKey with the FX Choices view and the Pre and Pst Patch views... click in Group and select Group 1.

There are all your favorite VST plugs and only those plugs in a nice clean listbox.

F-Key around all you want... the list does not change. Open new sessions.. the list does not change... its always there..

You want some of your other plugs, great, click Group and select another group or select All Plugins to see the full list of what's installed.

Now am I missing something here? Is this really too complicated... click on Group and click on a group of choice.

This is a very powerful feature... and no, it does not track with F-Keys by design, this would serve no real purpose in my opinion.

And, once a group is created, it is automatically globally saved... you do not even have to save the preferences.

I know, you're all just kidding right... I mean Alan Funt must be hiding in here somewhere. :)

Bob L

Angie
07-02-2004, 07:23 AM
No, it's not too many clicks to set up the groups. It's too many to finally add the effect.

Look, I've already had to click the FX window open. Then clicked for the FX list. Now I have to click the goup button and choose a group. Then I click on the effect and click the Add button. That's 6 steps just to patch one plug-in. I don't have that many FX on the list anyway.

Grouping FX is great. But not for this purpose. I see no reason for GUI-less FX to appear on the list when SS can't use them.

Bob L
07-02-2004, 09:26 AM
There is a now famous saying... "Resistance Is Futile" :D

The time it takes to fight and resist can be quite tiring.

I normally add FX with an F-Key to display all my Fx windows in one shot... 1st click.

Pick a plugin from the List... 2nd click.

Add to one of the three patch windows (which are visible already from the FKey)... 3rd click.

Simple and it can't be any less clicks and still give you the versatility of picking from dozens or hundreds of plugs.

Now the addition of the Group idea only adds 2 clicks to pick a group... the first time... then you can go back to adding plugs with the same 3 clicks until you want to change the group.

I truly feel that this is an extremely versatile and powerful way to enhance you plugin patching abilities...

And besides... you are stuck on counting clickcs, when perhaps you might want to consider counting the time it may take to otherwise scroll thru a long list of dozens or hundreds of plugs while you try to get your eyes to settle on the one you are looking for in a long list that forces you to scroll up and down while looking. This can certainly add much time to the process compared to the 2 clicks that condenses the list down to a few choice plugs in a certain category that all fit in the listbox in one screen with no scrolling required.

But, we each work in our own mysterious ways. :)

By the way... in your case Angie... if the problem boils down to just a few VST plugs that you never want to accidenntly patch in because they can't be used anyway... why not simply remove the VST.dll's from the VST_Plugins folder and you will never see them on the list in the first place. :)

Bob L

Angie
07-02-2004, 09:42 AM
By the way... in your case Angie... if the problem boils down to just a few VST plugs that you never want to accidenntly patch in because they can't be used anyway... why not simply remove the VST.dll's from the VST_Plugins folder and you will never see them on the list in the first place. :)

Bob L

Bob, This is truly the answer. But as I stated in my original post. The wrapper program (SkinRack in my case) reguires the original dll and the wrapped dll to reside in the same folder. It even causes Studio to shut down when the wrapped version can't find the original.

Thing is that I could have sworn GUI-less plugins did not appear in the FX list on earlier versions of Studio.

It's obvious that I'm the only one bothered by this, and probably not worth further discussion.
:)

AudioAstronomer
07-02-2004, 10:32 AM
I can agree it does seem pointless to even mention it, but this is the kind of thing you become spoiled by with sawstudio... when I was using samplitude I CONSTANTLY complained of too many clicks because it was. Everything was dialogs and menus. Then sawstudio come sin and destroys my previously click-filled world.... having one function that has more clicks than others seems uncomfortable at first :)

I hate mice, forgive my distaste for clicking :)

canipus
07-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Robert,

You're confusing the hell out of me. Are you sure you're were using the same Samplitude product as i am. I have 7.21 on the screen as i write this. I have a track playing and I have the full screen recording mixer up on the monitor.
To open an FX.
click once on the button under Plugin (on a mixer chanel)
point the mouse over either VST DX or Native on the menu to show full page alphabetical list of the plugs in whichever category you wanted, (no scrolling no clicking).
Point to plug name, click and up it comes.
2 clicks total. The plugin opens up, no stopping of the playback, no glitches
Its actually less clicks than SAW Studio if you're counting.
You sure you were using Samplitude and not some other Magix product?

Angie
07-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Thing is that I could have sworn GUI-less plugins did not appear in the FX list on earlier versions of Studio.

Had a chance to check Version 3.0. Sure enough, Non of the GUI-less plugins appear in the FX list. Only those with wrappers are there. I don't remember which version I first noticed it change.