PDA

View Full Version : upgrade to e crashing SAW?

trock
05-30-2005, 06:53 PM
Hi

back from vacation and went to upgrade my basic to the latest. i ran the upgrade from the SAW site and it installed fine and says 1.4e as the version. however when i open a song now all the WAV's are there but there is no volume/sound and there are no LED's moving on the faders when there should be

also when i hit the spacebar to stop, the first time it keeps playing, the second stop it says

forced engine shutdown and stops??

any idea's??

thanks

razor
05-30-2005, 07:28 PM
You might have to reset your drivers and sound options.

cheers

Phil

AudioAstronomer
05-30-2005, 07:31 PM
A few of us seem to be having that problem with the new(er) updates.

http://www.sawstudiouser.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2143&highlight=forcing+engine+shutdown

Mitch
05-30-2005, 07:41 PM
I've worked with SAW all day today, and there were a few oddities here also. Course I was working with a few intensive VSTi's so not sure it's SAW related yet. A couple of "hangs"...just all of a sudden no cursor / mouse and could not do a force engine shutdown. Had to bring the PC down hard. Will try to pin it down tonight.

mghtx
05-30-2005, 07:41 PM
Well, I've DL'd the update but haven't run it yet, so maybe I'll wait a bit. Sorry to read about this. But, not worried about it......

Bob L
05-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Make sure you have the Region Memory caching turned OFF and try again.

There has been one thing discovered, but it only seems to affect the actual program shutdown... not operation.

Been running e all day here with no noticable problems so far.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
05-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Ok, Im back to E again and I was just doing some work in MWS (transcribing some stuff as an oddjob...) and saw has crashed 3 times on me now...

i get the "forcing engine shutdown" and complete and utter crash a minute later (after everything freezes).

:( Same buffers, drivers etc.. as 3.9d... which im moving back to so I can finish this project.

funny enough prior to tonight I had about 16 hours logged in 3.9e with no issue... but it really seems to be hating some of the synths Im using.

Bob L
05-30-2005, 11:07 PM
I am hesitant to say the problem is e specifically... many people using it without these problems.

Pay attention to VST synths... could be something going on there.

Bob L

Perry
05-31-2005, 04:10 AM
I am hesitant to say the problem is e specifically... many people using it without these problems.

Pay attention to VST synths... could be something going on there.

Bob L

Haven't run across any problems here so far.

Perry

trock
05-31-2005, 06:39 AM
I am going to check it out tonight and do what Bob suggested, i don't run any synth's so i don't think it is that.

will post more tonight

thanks for the help!

Mitch
05-31-2005, 06:45 AM
FWIW...dont know if this tells anything but...

I was working with BFD and EWQL Silver Orchestra ... under "d" no problems. Upgraded to "e" started getting the "freeze ups". Went back to "d" ...no problems....

I'm sure each of our systems plays a factor for sure. For now, at least until I finish this tune, I'll stay on 3.9d for a bit. 3.9e just has SO many neat new features though !!

trock
05-31-2005, 07:13 AM
In case i need to, how do you jump back to D ??

thanks

Bob L
05-31-2005, 07:15 AM
Are you using one of my shades... or are you using one f the thrid party shades?

Also... one thing that was changed was the VST shutdown code that attempts to flush the VST buffers... are you jumping around quickly after stopping the playback.

Are you using the auto toggle back to live mode... this may be the cause when using some of these VST synths... try using it without Live mode active when you start and stop playback.

Exactly when does it lockup... during play... or when it tries to stop?

Bob L

trock
05-31-2005, 07:42 AM
Hi Bob

thanks for the help, here is what happened to me.

i ran the upgrade straight from your site (i did not save it to my PC). it upgraded no problem and i went and checked the "about" on SAW before using it and saw it said 1.4e. good to go

then i opened the song i was working on, opened fine.

the tracks filled in (the WAV lines etc) no problem

then i hit play and it started but when it got to where the music should have started there was no sound, and none of the tracks had any LED movement like there should have been with something on the track

so i hit the STOP button and it kept playing, would not stop

then i hit the stop button again and this is when the "forcing engine shutdown" occured

i then shut SAW down and reopend and did the same thing with the exact same results

rebotted = exactly the same

re ran the install = exactly the same

i am using a 3rd party shade

i don't use any synths and was not using LIVE mode, just trying to play back a song.

hope this helps

i am not concerned, but i may want to jump back to D if i can to keep working for now?? is that easy to do??

thanks

Bob L
05-31-2005, 07:48 AM
First... DO NOT INSTALL FROM THE SITE... download the install file and place it in a folder... this also allows you to keep it archived for the furture.

Do the install from your local harddrive.

See if that fixes the problem.

Bob L

Bob L
05-31-2005, 08:10 AM
Another note... if you install into the same folder as your current version, all preferences will be maintained, so you are ready to go as fast as you can open the program.

If you are installing into a new folder... then you will have to reset all of your preferences and audio devices and so forth before you will get sound.

If this is what you are doing, my guess is that you may not be setting your audio devices up the same as they are in the d version which may account for the no sound issue.

Also, make sure SAWStudio is not running when you do the install... Windows will not overwrite active dll files and therefore you could be getting a mix of old and new files which could easily de-stabilize your program operation.

Bob L

trock
05-31-2005, 08:16 AM
sorry

i am not jumping around at all, i just sat there on the same page

trock
05-31-2005, 08:17 AM
oops

boy are you fast

just came back and saw you had answered

got ya

will try it tonight like you said and let you know

i know the SAWBasic runs C:\SAWbasic

and thats where i will put the new version, but will download it and run it form the hard drive

good deal

thanks!

will let you know

AudioAstronomer
05-31-2005, 10:54 AM
Didnt happen for me in D at all.

Back to E, nothing till about 5 minutes ago and it locked up twice in a row. :-\

AudioAstronomer
05-31-2005, 10:55 AM
To clarify, using default shade. Ive tried various VSTi, doesnt seem to be dependet on that. It's happened without VSTi's as well.

It really seems to be quite random, unless there's something Im doing that Im not noticing.

Bob L
05-31-2005, 11:00 AM
Well, I'm anxious to chase it down but I'm going to need repeatable steps to duplicate the problem. Not seeing it here yet.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
05-31-2005, 11:05 AM
Id love to figure it out to so I can avoid whatever's happening lol.

I dont think I mentioned it happens during playback, everything freezes up, a few seconds later I get forcing engine shutdown and everything takes a minute to come to a complete crawl and I have to ctrl-alt-delete sawstudio.

Im going to play with it more right now to see what's going on if I can

AudioAstronomer
05-31-2005, 11:10 AM
Opened up a project, hit play, clicked timeline to move cursor position during playback, bam it happened.

BUT. Ive done that a few times more now exactly the same and it hasnt happened. I do recall clicking the timeline when it did crash before though... so maybe?

SoundSuite
05-31-2005, 11:50 AM
No problems with 'e' yet here...

Maybe now that I said this, it'll start borking up for me so I can help replicate ;)

Bob L
05-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Don't know what to say... I opened a fairly dense session with 28 MWS tracks... one VST synth doing all 16 channels... started play and started clicking the timeline to jump around forcing live starts and stops... did dozens of clicks... no problems... starting clicking faster than the time it took the engine to stop and flush the VST synth... kept clicking as fast as I could... no problems... even tried starting from Live Mode... did the same clicking and jumping all over the place... when I stopped, Live Mode came back to life...

Something else is going on... e looks pretty solid on my systems.

So... what's different on your rigs... Asio... what shade... Region caching... how many VSTs... which ones... etc... something in the setup is the weak link.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
05-31-2005, 02:13 PM
So... what's different on your rigs... Asio... what shade... Region caching... how many VSTs... which ones... etc... something in the setup is the weak link.

Bob L

hopefully the other's chime in too...

using MME now (switched off ASIO with my RME and edirol and loving it.. still on asio with motu).

Default shade.

no region caching.

VSTi's... daHornet, karmaFX, filterscape, kontakt demo.. only one's ive had active during the problem.

Anything else pertinent?

AudioAstronomer
05-31-2005, 02:15 PM
:(

Btw, anyone see the frown face is now the RML Labs logo?

mghtx
05-31-2005, 02:18 PM
hopefully the other's chime in too...

I've got a couple of songs I'm about to finish up and then I'll move to E......so I'll see what happens then and report in. If this mystery isn't solved by then.

Bob L
05-31-2005, 02:39 PM
Robert... so if you work sessions without the vstis do you still have the problem?

Can you determine if its one VSTi in particular?

If you work this same session in d... does it still crash... something specific is going on is my guess.

And I don't see what you mean by the frown face being the RML Labs Logo.

Bob L

mghtx
05-31-2005, 02:52 PM
Btw, anyone see the frown face is now the RML Labs logo?

You didn't have another run in with one of God's creatures, did you? :p

What are you talking about?

AudioAstronomer
05-31-2005, 05:11 PM
You didn't have another run in with one of God's creatures, did you? :p

What are you talking about?

For about 2 hours or so, the frown face was the RML Labs logo!

Im not crazy, I promise!

AudioAstronomer
05-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Robert... so if you work sessions without the vstis do you still have the problem?

Can you determine if its one VSTi in particular?

If you work this same session in d... does it still crash... something specific is going on is my guess.

And I don't see what you mean by the frown face being the RML Labs Logo.

Bob L

Im gonna play with non-VSTi sessions tonight and check. Same sessions in D working perfecly fine.

Bob L
05-31-2005, 05:14 PM
Well, my guess is the VST flag change I did for the jamstix may be stepping on some of the other VSTs... not sure... but nothing really major changed in the MME engine that should cause all kinds of lockups...

VST shutdowns have changed as well as the flags sent to the plugs... remove the vsts and start with one at a time to see if it helps.

Bob L

trock
05-31-2005, 05:27 PM
Just got home and did the following

1) downloaded the upgrade to a new foler i made called "updates, located in the SAWbasic folder on C:

2) with SAW def closed i ran the update

3) opened SAW and it is now E again

4) GOOD NEWS - when i opened my song the faders jumped to the position and when i plyed the track the led's are all jumpin green when it plays - VERY nice - looks right

5) BAD NEWS - on my RME FF 800 i have no output or jumpin happy green LED's and no sound out of my speaker. obviously a routing issue i think

6) go to my "options" in SAW and def still have ASIO driver checked

7) go to options - audio device setup and my in and outs are still set to the RME, have green lights on the RME but no signal???

any idea's on this last step?? nothing has changed at all in my physical set up/cabling etc??

once i get this i think it will be good

AND

BETTER NEWS

when i hit STOP it STOPS. no "forcing engine shutdown"

if anyone can help me route this when all the stuff is actually in there the way it was i would apprciate it

thanks

trock
05-31-2005, 05:32 PM
WOO HOO!

i just did a RESET

and added them back manually and then heard them in my headphones but not my speakers and then i remembered to check my OUT in SAW

did that and it was on -46db and i set it to 0 db and all is well.

gonna run it now after saving those setings and let you know if i run into anything else

just so you know bob i kept the 3rd party shade on the whole time so i don't think mine was shade related. probably because i ran the update from your site and with SAW open is what happened to me

whew

on to the next thing!

Bob L
05-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Good... now let's find out what's happening with Robert.

I just ran midi for over an hour, jumping around, using Kompakt and HyperCanvas doing a 28 track session... recording, changing Kompakt patches while playing back, jumping in and out of Live Mode... looping... starting and stopping hundreds of times... I did not see one hiccup... so I'm not sure what's going on... e is definitely stable over here.

Bob L

trock
05-31-2005, 07:21 PM
this is VERY OT: this reply is meant as a fun and light hearted attempt at humor ;)

man i wish i could help robert after all the help he has given me. :D

with robert i am sure it has to do with some binary code he translated to its hex equivalent that didn't map properly through the new algorythm (sp ?) he has written in a DOS based application only good for remote users logging into his custom designed and written VPN to download the latest chocolate chip cookie recipe he has posted and all because he was bored the past 2 hours.

typical TIM and ROBERT exhange

TIM: help!

ROBERT: .......what?

TIM: HELP HELP HELP

ROBERT: .......what? ....WHAT! WHAT is WRONG! CALM down! speak slowly and rationally

TIM: can't get sound %&^%*$ out of &$&%$, piece of S&%&^)$*#, HATE &%^**$%&, been at it 2 hours &$%&$*)$#_

HELP

ROBERT: Hmmmmm, do you have a cable plugged in between the 2 devices??

TIM: ...................................um............. ........er..............hmmmmmm

wait.......................oh....................H EY ! got sound now! :)

then

TIM: what are you working on??

ROBERT: i just wrote a reverb plug while kayaking and then determined that this verb was only as good as the TC M6000 and since that goes for 5K and i want to give this to the world for free i realized it would cost many jobs at TC and couldn't bear the thought of people losing their income and livlihood.

i also have determined the optimal mic placement for all situtations and this formula should now be easy for all to folow

D = 4.72 x 10^-3 x (2pi/SV)[sin(M/T) - cos(M/2T)] dM/dt
+ e^[h(H'- H) sqrt(H/H')] x log (1/[SVT^2]) +/- msp

Where:
D = the desired distance in inches
H = height of the sound source in meters
H' = height of the mike in yards
V = max volume of the source in dBm
S = sensitivity of the mike in millivolts per dBm
T = mean temperature of the room in degrees Melvin
h = Plank's reasonably constant
M = arc tan (area of microphone diaphragm, in round mm)
and msp = mistake someplace, in watt-kilograms/hour.

thus ended anything remotely interesting i could say to him

lot of coffee at work here tonight

Mitch
05-31-2005, 07:46 PM
OK, just loaded "e" back up and was playing with this tune using BFD and EWQL Orch.

In MWS editing some note lengths and while in LIVE mode, right dragging to cue some notes....back and forth....about the 3rd or 4th pass over some notes...FREEZE. No mouse, no shut-down. Hard down the PC.

Re-boot, this time another oddity that I've never experienced before...

I've got 4 F Keys 9-12 set up in SAW to "make room" for the CTRL-9-12 keys for MWS. (haven't figured out how to link the two yet)

While playing back the midi tracks, hit my F6 key and suddenly my entire SAW "backdrop" was gone! No menu, no way to close SAW. I was left with the F-Mixer view, MWS, FX windows etc. Closed all of those, leaving me staring at the Windows desktop. SAW still running but nowhere to be found ?

Right-click the SAW in the taskbar to close.... ERROR box SAW Has encountered and error and must shut down .... (not verbatim).

So.... I'm definately having issues that I did not have with "d" over here.

tank71
05-31-2005, 07:56 PM
Nice one trock!

http://www.mercenaryaudio.com/rectipforbeg1.html:D

:D

Bob L
05-31-2005, 08:00 PM
I wish we could find what's common for those having trouble and what's different for those not having trouble. :)

I'm still trying to determine if the troubles are only with those using VST synths... can you try other sessions without VST synths and see if things are stable?

Bob L

Mitch
05-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Bob, I've got a real easy (might be expensive though) fix... !!

Shoot me a price to duplicate the hardware you use. That way I'll be ASSURED of a rock solid experience !

...you think I'm kidding ??? HA! -- Shoot me a list of stuff to buy. I'm serious !

AudioAstronomer
05-31-2005, 08:23 PM
Many long hours later (im getting sick of sitting in front of this computer lol), it hasnt crashed once.

I dont know what to say.

Bob L
05-31-2005, 08:31 PM
I have truly looked at every update feature and fix in e and cannot find anything that could account for these kinds of instant instability issues.

Something else is going on... everyone having trouble... try a clean install in a new folder... take it from there... and see what happens... there could be some common issue with certain preference setups causing variable corruption...

Notice when TRock did a fresh proper install... his issues dissapeared... perhaps there is a common setup element on some systems that gets corrupted on an update install...

I am baffled by this one... my systems are stable with e... as are most others it seems... I really wish we could figure this out so I could move on to the MWS updates.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
05-31-2005, 08:39 PM
Im working off a fresh install as of now. If you dont hear from me by tommorow morning, It's working great.

Mitch
05-31-2005, 08:43 PM
I'll try the fresh folder install as well and report back when I've had a chance to play with it...

By all means Bob, get cracking on the MWS, and 4.0 and ....oh yeah, GO TO SLEEP once in awhile ! :D

Tree Leopard
05-31-2005, 09:42 PM
Same over here... a number of "mysterious" crashes (with no warning) and one instance of a total freeze - something I hadn't seen yet with SAW.

After a fresh install, so far so good...

Andre

Bob L
06-01-2005, 01:07 AM
Now... you may want to look through the options on the fresh install and the old install and see if anything is noticeably different... what options are ON and OFF between the good and bad install... this may give me a clue.

Ones that come to mind to check would be the Region Caching and Peak Data Caching options... differences between the two installs...

Also... are those having trouble on dual processor systems... or are you using HyperThreading?

I'm looking for a common clue here...

Bob L

trock
06-01-2005, 05:55 AM
tank :)

that is a great article! reminds me of robert!

anyway had to throw that in there for some fun even though this is def a serious thread.

good catch!

AudioAstronomer
06-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Still no crashes...

Bob L
06-01-2005, 11:27 AM
So... the question remains... why?

What's different?

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-01-2005, 11:40 AM
I set all my preferences back to what they were too...

Do you want a list of preferences i use?

Bob L
06-01-2005, 12:17 PM
If they are the same... and the list of installed plugs is the same... why does one install crash bad... and the other is stable... something seems different between the two... and that something is the cause of all the grief. :)

Now to determine what that might be.

Bob L

mghtx
06-01-2005, 12:38 PM
OK, I've now moved to E and so far, after about 4 hrs of messing around, no crashes. I did do a clean install this time after reading an earlier post, which is something I've not done before. I don't think it would have mattered but I did it anyway.

Dusty
06-01-2005, 01:07 PM
I didn't do a clean install and it's been perfect for me. :)

-Dusty

AudioAstronomer
06-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Ok. Those with problems, list preferences please...

Those without problems.. list prefreences please!

Multitrack:
entry-name position->center
multi-track soft clipping
softedge display
record mark display
dbl-click to soundfile
l-btn scroll
mousewheel->zoom
SRC->low

Mixer:
Meter Active->full & exploded
Peakhold->infinite
Response->slow
Taper->expanded log
Navigation links-> everything except to hardware
Full Mixer label-> top
Link Mixer v-offset to Fkeys

options:
MME drivers.
Peak caching
Auto EDL undo
auto zero cross
auto record softedge
auto record/srp latch
message dialog to center-left.

Changing Fkeys didnt matter.

RobertV
06-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Bob;

For what it is worth, my install of SS 3.9e locked up the PC solidly, Ctrl+Alt+Del did nothing so I could not get to task manager or anything and I was forced to power the box off and do a restart.

After that, (without doing a re-install) I could start SS, it appeared to be running OK, and showed "e'' release to be installed.

I just repeated the process, and the same thing happened, the Sawstudio installation wallpaper was showing and the PC has locked up. This time I could get to task manager, and the Applications Tab indicates:

IQS Setup32 Not Responding
Winzip Self Extractor Running
Windows Task Manager Running

I was able to click on: End Task and close the App.

I am wondering if this could give some indication as to was is causing the problems some users are experiencing!

(Unfortunately I am not in a position at the moment to do any extensive testing.)

Cheers……Robert V.

Tim Miskimon
06-01-2005, 08:28 PM
No Problems here.
I will be doing a lot of tracking Friday & Saturday so I will report back afterwards.
Tim

Leadfoot
06-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Fwiw, I did not do a clean install and it's been running perfectly so far.
Win2ksp4, rme hdsp9652, asio mode, matrox g450, dual 19" samsung flats,
P4 2.0, gig ram, asus mobo, uhm, that's about it. I'll post preferences and setup later, gotta go to bed.

Tony

MMP
06-02-2005, 05:15 AM
I would be curious if those having problems, are having issues on older EDLs (pre-E) only, or both old & new EDLs.

MM

razor
06-02-2005, 06:09 AM
Did the update and have been playing around for a couple of hours and no issues yet.

Love all the added functionality in play mode.

I hope you can extend this to a few other functions, ie editing and selecting,I like to edit as I audition ie top and tailing just tidying up loose ends or to move stuff around, good for post work, nothing too huge.

Would be great if we could add soft edges when playing back...
Wow I just went to check this and you can, fantastic.
You can even reverse audio in playback and the played audio reverses.
:p
Great for sound designning fx.

Anyway none of that crashes e

Thanks

Bob

AudioAstronomer
06-02-2005, 08:00 AM
I would be curious if those having problems, are having issues on older EDLs (pre-E) only, or both old & new EDLs.

MM

For me it happened in both.

Tim Miskimon
06-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Hi,
I did a session tonight where I had to open an EDL that was created last week on 3.9c before I installed 3.9e.
I tried to open the EDL using the recently installed 3.9e and upon trying SSL shut down.
I reopened SSL and tried to open the EDL again and it opened without any more problems.
This EDL does not have any plug ins and is 12 mono tracks.
I just thought I'd pass on this information since I've never had SSL crash while opening an EDL before.
I ran SSL 3.9e for another 6 hours without any other problems.
I hope the crash was just a freak accident - Man 3.9e really has some great new features.

MikeDee
06-03-2005, 10:39 PM
FWIW, whenever I install a new version of SAW, I make certain that no other apps (<period>) are running...even though SAW stays out of Windows' way and does not touch the Registry.

Then, I perform the old tried-and-true method, no matter which OS (XP Pro or Win2k), no matter what all the tekkeez & guruz say: I reboot the machine before opening the new version for the first time.

Call me old fashioned...but I won't be calling you with SAW probs! :D

Good luck & best regards,

Lance
06-04-2005, 06:40 AM
I need to chime in here... I just used 3.9e for the first time last night and it worked without a hitch.

I also need to say that the new features are SO EXCELLENT!!!

I used the new looping feature to put a scratch vocal down and it was incredibly smooth. Loop recorded to layers and I can't believe how easy it was to go back and audition them...!!

Thanks Bob.

Lance

Carl G.
06-04-2005, 01:35 PM
3.9e SS for first day.
Love it! Especially Loop Recording! Big Time Saver!

However, one strange activity.
When I press stop (on moderate VO session) from the play mode it doesn't stop...everytime.
Then when I press the space bar again (to stop), I get "Forced Engine Shutdown" everytime.

Carl G.
06-04-2005, 02:45 PM
3.9e SS for first day.
Love it! Especially Loop Recording! Big Time Saver!

However, one strange activity.
When I press stop (on moderate VO session) from the play mode it doesn't stop...everytime.
Then when I press the space bar again (to stop), I get "Forced Engine Shutdown" everytime.
Ouch! The above happens every time!! even from a brand new EDL, one track, one region, mixer to default, no plugs, no patches, etc.
Still it says "Forcing Engine Shutdown".

So *EDIT*... here's what I found out!
1. Clearing all mixer parameters and Plugs does nothing!
2. New EDL does nothing
3. Reopening a known good PREFERENCE file - FIXES the problem.
4. Reopening the Problem PREFERENCE file - still FIXES the problem!!
So somehow... maybe the new install is messing up the PREFERENCES file temporarily.
I found once I changed the current preference file, by closing the current one, opening/operating in another, then reopening the 'current' (problem) file, then the "NO STOP, and 2nd time force Shutdown" problem is FIXED!
Can't explain why... but that's how I got 3.9e to work for me!

Bob L
06-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Ok... that's a start... I'll look into the new preference items to see how an old preference file could corrupt things.

Bob L

Carey Langille
06-04-2005, 06:33 PM
If i start recording channel 2 as the source, on track one using a vst on track 2, i cannot punch out of the SRP.. it just keeps recording.. Recording on track one srp punch in and out works every time.... Any help?? I tried it with no plugins as well, just using channel two as the rec source for track one, and it still will not punch or.. i have to force the engine shutdown....

Bob L
06-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Just setup the B4 on track 2... armed track 1 to record... selected Mixer Chan 2 as the source... pressed SRP and then Rec... played on the B4... pressed stop... no problems here.

This is all quite confusing... e is stable as a rock here and for most everyone but a few reports... why?????

Try Carl's suggestion and reload the prefs... for those having trouble before, a clean install solved it... could there be some connection... save the prefs from d... open e and load the prefs... see what happens then.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Just to peek in again, I went back to my old 3.9e install and Im getting the problems again.

Goto my fresh 3.9e and nothing is wrong. goto my bad 3.9e and load D preferences and I cant seem to get it to crash.

*shrug* very odd. I should note it happens very easily with a VSTi in the project, without one.. it's random.

Bob L
06-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Ok... now perhaps this old preference thing is a clue... I'll look a little deeper.

Bob L

Bob L
06-04-2005, 10:39 PM
I did some tests and the code appears to correctly adjust for old preferences... leaving new variables properly initialized.

But, I am wondering if those having trouble could have moved from one SAWStudio version (Basic, Lite, Full) to a higher one and over-installed trying to use old preferences... this will not work correctly, the preferences from Basic to Lite to Full are not compatible.

Could this be where the corruption is coming from?

I would suggest to clear the preferences file from the File Menu Preferences Clear Default option.... then reset your sound devices and options choices and then resave new default preferences... then see if you have any more troubles.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Full and full only here... so I doubt it's an upgrade issue

Carey Langille
06-05-2005, 02:28 AM
try it without the b4 as well bob... The B4 Worked here for me as well. but as soon as i removed it from the track, then tried the srp , it wouldnt stop.. try that....

trock
06-05-2005, 06:30 AM
nto sure if this will help but since i started this thread i wanted to add that since i did the fresh install, in a new folder etc that i have not had any ossues

the intersting thing is opn this new PC i did not upgrade at all i just ran the 1.4e install fresh and it is has been solid.

i guess there is no way for people to delete SAW compltetly then run the E stand alone as a fresh install just as if they had bought it new??

probably not but thats kind of whatt i did here.

mghtx
06-05-2005, 08:59 AM
thats kind of whatt i did here

Me too...ONLY after reading this thread because I normally don't. And I also reset my preferences. Basically I started from scratch since it's not a big deal with my simple setup.

So far I still have not had any problem...granted I don't do the kind of extensive projects others do. (Heck, I just realized I haven't tried the loop thing yet. :eek: I need to do that. :D )

kent
06-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Interesting find Carl.
Kent

Carl G.
06-06-2005, 04:43 AM
I would suggest to clear the preferences file from the File Menu Preferences Clear Default option.... then reset your sound devices and options choices and then resave new default preferences... then see if you have any more troubles.
Bob L
Bob,
I've been SS since beta days.
Essentially, clearing the default prefs, then reopening the desired pref file is what got it to work for me.

Bob L
06-06-2005, 05:33 AM
Carl,

I'm glad... but there is nothing I can see so far as to why... and there is still no understanding why only certain installations have gone corrupt and others have not.

I and most others did not have to reload preferences to have a stable install.

I'm stumped at the moment.

Bob L

Tree Leopard
06-06-2005, 08:22 AM
The only thing I've noticed is that buildmix has slowed right down - almost feels like a real time mix now. (identical settings). Otherwise everything seems to be working smoothly.

I'll play with some system tweaks and see if it helps.

Andre

Bob L
06-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Back to the buildmix huh... my guess is that somehwere along the line between updates your system application priority has been set to background instead of foreground apps.

The difference can be drastic.

Bob L

Mitch
06-06-2005, 11:48 AM
Have not checked in here in a few days and have not done a fresh install or messed with preferences yet, so that may factor into things.

Yesterday, while doing a vocal overdub session, we experienced crashes when SRP record is punched out, either manually or by using a marked area.

Using the marked area.... SRP record engages at the B point, and the rec light disengages at the E point.... fine. But I get the Windows hourglass which appears for approx 5 secs, then a hard crash. No "forcing engine shutdown notice"...just the "SAW has encountered and error and must close" dialog.

If I hit the Play button on my Mackie Control to exit record mode manually, the error is immediate (no hour glass), hard crash.

FWIW, 28 full tracks, only 1 Spazio, minimal eq, dyn applied. MT Load running at about 24%.

Tried increasing buffers from 3/64 to 4/128 to no effect. No region memory caching etc.

So at this point, it sounds like I should try the clear defaults thing, open up a previously saved pref. from a "d" install... is that what is working for some ?

Bob L
06-06-2005, 01:43 PM
And try turning off the Midi Controller hook for the Mackie... lots of changes were done in the midi controller engine to accomodate the Tranzport... something may have gotten stomped on for the Mackie Control Template.

Let me know.

By the way... I had not explored the Midi Controller thing in this thread... perhaps the people having trouble are all using a midi controller... and that's where the problem lies.... any info about that?

Bob L

Carl G.
06-06-2005, 02:48 PM
And try turning off the Midi Controller hook for the Mackie... lots of changes were done in the midi controller engine to accomodate the Tranzport... something may have gotten stomped on for the Mackie Control Template.

Let me know.

By the way... I had not explored the Midi Controller thing in this thread... perhaps the people having trouble are all using a midi controller... and that's where the problem lies.... any info about that?

Bob L
Bob, if it helps to know... I don't run any midi on my machine.
If you want maybe we should separately send you preference files and computer config files (showing hardware-video cards, etc)? Would a comparison show similarities to look for?

Bob L
06-06-2005, 04:53 PM
That's better done in the conversations here... looking for some common options.

I actually feel e is stable... although I have made some adjustments and will let f out the door shortly... perhaps the new compile will make all the issues go away.

Bob L

Carey Langille
06-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Bob, did you try to record from track 2 onto track one without the vsti there? Did it do the same thing as mine? Its VERY repeatable here.....Just curious

Bob L
06-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Yes... no problems... something else is going on... my system is perfectly stable here with e.

Recorded some B4 from track 2 to track 1... stopped, no problem... did not even close the meter... cleared the B4 from the track... pressed SRP and recorded nothing of course... stopped no problem.

Tried it all again... recorded.... stopped... closed the meter... removed the B4... opened the meter... SRP... record... stop... no problem.

What's different?

Bob L

Mitch
06-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Bob,

When I press STOP (either on the record meter or Mackie) it stops fine. No crash... It's when passing through the end of a marked area or if I press SRP or Play (on the Mackie) to stop recording, that the hour-glass, crash happens.

...for the time being, guess I'll be pressing stop and not using marked areas for punch-ins. I could not get it to crash by using the stop button(s).

BTW, I did try just SAW w/o the Mackie on-line. SRP / Marked area got same results...crash unless I hit the stop button.

Bob L
06-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Are you using any plugins on the recording tracks or on other playback tracks that have latency? Or are you using the latency compensator? I am wondering if these could cause a problem by holding back the actual process position and somehow confusing the record shutdown or region creation.

Try this with one track and an empty session... see if it actually drops the region.

This feature is not broken on any of my systems with e... does this behave the same with d?

Does the record light actually go off? if you let it keep running for 30 secs or so so does it finally drop the region and drop the hourglass?

Bob L