PDA

View Full Version : The 64 bit question

Oz Nimbus
07-01-2004, 07:32 PM
I'm curious if there's anything on the SawStudio drawing board in relation to the new 64 bit chips coming out from AMD & Intel. While I'm sure Mr. Lentini has more than enough on his plate at the moment, it does make one wonder where this could all go with 64 bit processor chips :)

-0z-

AudioAstronomer
07-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Doesnt seem like there is much "todo" performance wise... you can already acheive LOADS natively on what any other to anyother daw is "slow"... Heck, even if bob doubled the channels, I cant see using them...

Then again a few months ago I couldnt see using more than 36 tracks ;) I guess as new genre's come up a need will arise

Bob L
07-01-2004, 08:21 PM
No plans at this time... Windows has to get there first... and be stable with some serious performance benefits before I'm ready to spend a year re-writing the engine. :)

Bob L

mghtx
07-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Saw is so unbelievably fast and powerful it blows my mind. I mean I watch the orientation video and it's on a 1 gig cpu with 512 mb of ram !?! Watch that video again and pay attention to the track count and compression/gate/EQ that is being used. I mean COME ON! And some bloke tells me, "man Pro Tools is the only ticket in town." :D

Bob, you better watch yourself out there or you'll end up like Tesla. The government slips in, takes all your files, and Saw ends up at Area 51. Then Robert down in Florida fires up Saw on his computer and there's a black van parked outside his house. :D muuuhahahaha!!!!!!

AudioAstronomer
07-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Saw is so unbelievably fast and powerful it blows my mind. I mean I watch the orientation video and it's on a 1 gig cpu with 512 mb of ram !?! Watch that video again and pay attention to the track count and compression/gate/EQ that is being used. I mean COME ON! And some bloke tells me, "man Pro Tools is the only ticket in town." :D

Bob, you better watch yourself out there or you'll end up like Tesla. The government slips in, takes all your files, and Saw ends up at Area 51. Then Robert down in Florida fires up Saw on his computer and there's a black van parked outside his house. :D muuuhahahaha!!!!!!

Now I see... that "pool cleaner" van outside has been really eerie... Ill watch my back.

mghtx
07-01-2004, 10:40 PM
You turn your back on the skillet, the grease is gonna burn your butt.

TotalSonic
07-01-2004, 11:50 PM
I actually have a feeling that the new next-gen buss protocols - PCI-X and PCI-Xpress - will initially have more of an impact on a speed jump than 64 bit architecture. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how the bleeding edge hardware does. Personally, I've always liked to stay one step behind because then you don't have to go through the heartbreak of watching the cutting edge stuff you just got being sold for less than half what you purchased it for only a few months later - and you don;t have to be the guinea pig for finding out which systems really work! (anyone here go through the horrors of trying to run a DAW on the very first VIA chipsets?). Right now you can get killer performance out of a single cpu 3GHz P4 or AMD setup - so while I will greet new developments with great interest as getting even more power behind our native systems would be nice - I just don't think 64bit is ready for prime time just yet.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

mghtx
07-02-2004, 06:37 AM
Steve you hit the nail on the head. That's my thought exactly.