PDA

View Full Version : OT: XP tweaks, now can't play CD's or burn??

trock
06-02-2005, 06:14 PM
This coule only happen to me. i did a bunch of the tweaks to the PC that is suggested here and now i insert a CD and i cannot play it at all. I also then tried to just burn a CD (data not music) and even though i have tried multiple blank CD's in the CDRW it keeps saying "insert blank CD"

now i take the same CD's of music (goo goo dolls) and i go to my mac and it starts playing right away

i take 2 of the blank disc's that did not work on the PC and am able to burn on the MAC no problem

can someone suggest why this may be happening to my CD ROM?

and how to re set the auto start etc when i insert a music CD?? or a blank CD??

thanks

canipus
06-02-2005, 06:38 PM
This coule only happen to me. i did a bunch of the tweaks to the PC that is suggested here and now i insert a CD and i cannot play it at all. I also then tried to just burn a CD (data not music) and even though i have tried multiple blank CD's in the CDRW it keeps saying "insert blank CD"

now i take the same CD's of music (goo goo dolls) and i go to my mac and it starts playing right away

i take 2 of the blank disc's that did not work on the PC and am able to burn on the MAC no problem

can someone suggest why this may be happening to my CD ROM?

and how to re set the auto start etc when i insert a music CD?? or a blank CD??

thanks

copy the follow 3 line block (under the dashed line) into notepad and save it in a convenient place under any convenient filename ending in .reg
e.g. myfile.reg
Once the file is saved, double click on the filename in Win Explorer and when prompted to add the entry into your system registry confirm OK.

NOTE THERE IS NO SPACE BETWEEN THE C AND THE E IN THE WORD SERVICES. That is the forum text monitoring playing games so edit the space out before saving the file in Notepad.
After you have done, exit and reboot the PC
-------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdrom]
"AutoRun"=dword:00000001

trock
06-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Hey

thanks for this

i did set it to 0.

am trying it now!

trock
06-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Hey canipus

i did that and added it just fine

then rebooted

opened the CD drawer and put the CD in, slid it shut and still no auto run

don't want to drag you into PC support but i though it might have to do with that auto run thing too but apprently not :(

anyway thanks for that, i couldn't remember that registry command and am not very PC adept

thanks!

canipus
06-02-2005, 07:36 PM
There are other settings you should then check.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer .
The NoDriveTypeAutoRun value should be hexadecimal 95 for XP Pro ((91 (145) for XP Home Edition)) if AutoRun is enabled on all CDs, or B5 for XP Pro if disabled for CDs. ((B1 (177) for XP Home)
You may need to change more than one instance of NoDriveTypeAutoRun in the registry. You usually need to reboot for a new value to take effect.

In Windows 95/98/Me the NoDriveTypeAutoRun value is displayed as 95 00 00 00. In Windows NT4, 2000 and XP this value is displayed as 0x00000095 or hexadecimal 95. ((91 (145) for XP Home Edition))
If you modify the NoDriveTypeAutoRun value make sure it is still in the correct format.

More ways to disable AutoRun
There are two other - uncommon - ways of disabling AutoRun. The NoDriveAutoRun registry value is in the same key as NoDriveTypeAutoRun. Each bit represents each drive, so hexadecimal 01 disables AutoRun for floppy drive A, 04 disables AutoRun for drive C, 10 disables AutoRun on E. Values can be combined, so 19 disables AutoRun on E, D and A.
If either NoDriveTypeAutoRun or NoDriveAutoRun specify that AutoRun should be disabled for a drive, then it is disabled for that drive.

AutoRun can also be disabled by a program that controls the foreground window by handling the "QueryCancelAutoPlay" Windows message.

Also check:
1) Click Start, Run and enter GPEDIT.MSC

2) Go to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System.

3) Locate the entry under System for Turn autoplay off and check the settings there.

trock
06-02-2005, 08:09 PM
WHOA!

very nice

thanks alot for all that

i will check it out and go thru them and let you know. appreciate your time!

thanks again!

UpTilDawn
06-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Could you also just simply right click on your cdrom drive in My Computer, select properties, choose the autoplay tab and select the default action you wish xp to perform for each type of media cd? This is xp you are tweaking, correct?

Hope this helps,
DanT

trock
06-03-2005, 05:49 AM
hey dan

it is XP, i will check that too.

thanks!

SoundSuite
06-03-2005, 02:03 PM
trock,

if the above checks do not resolve..try these.

My Computer > Rt. Click on CDR > Properties

Auto-Play tab > Insure the settings are as you wish

Recording tab > Insure that 'Enable CD Buring on this drive' is enabled

Hardware tab > Select the burner > Properties button
Hit properties Tab > and do the following:
If you are using only the ribbon cable...check 'Enable Digital CD Audio for this device'
If you are using an analog audio cable between the cd and sound card...un-check 'Enable Digital CD Audio for this device' (or try using digital)

If none of the above or these checks help for playback, this may help to concurr a suspicion that I have that your ASPI layer got/is corrupted somehow.
Doing a re-install your burning application or run an update/repair on it if applicable typically cures ASPI issues.

If nothing helps, report back so we can go farther down the trail.
The tweaks for saw typically do not cause issues, but Mr. Murphy is a mean s.o.b. ;c)-~

Bob L
06-03-2005, 02:11 PM
One of the tweaks specifically shuts down the autoplay feature to keep the CD
drives from constantly polling in the background.

So, of course, you would have to open the drive manually after that tweak... in the Windows Explorer, or in any of the media players, you should be able to just open any CD.

Bob L

danickstr
06-05-2005, 07:53 PM
FYI i installed a memorex cd burner dvd player and XP saw it as a DVD only and never again let me write Cd's until i removed it. so its now in the "el crappo" pile.