PDA

View Full Version : SSBasic with Mbox?

johnnymac2201
07-02-2004, 12:31 AM
Hi, I´m trying to get the Basic demo to run using my Mbox and the Digi Asio driver. No luck till now. I get a very, very low input in SSB even though the preamp on the Mbox is clipping.

On playback of prerecorded files I just get digital hash. I´ve got a feeling it´s the digi driver that´s the problem, but maybe I´m doing something wrong. The Mbox works fine with Cubase SL. Anybody having success with this setup.

I´m thinking about the RME digiface and laptop card, but it would still be nice to use the Mbox for a more portable setup when I´m on the road.

Thanks, John

matt
07-02-2004, 01:25 AM
Does the M Box use ASIO or MME drivers?

Rail Jon Rogut
07-02-2004, 01:36 AM
Digi have an MME WaveDriver and an ASIO driver... the ASIO driver worked well with an 002 and HD Accel/192 when I tested it. I haven't tested it with my MBox but it should work fine.

Rail

johnnymac2201
07-02-2004, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the quick response, but still no luck. Just unistalled PTLE 5.3.3 and all dalwdm files and tried installing the 6.1.1 drivers. I get playback of the demo but SSB crashes at random. When trying to record I have the Mbox input begining to clip and I´m just barely getting an input signal in SSB. This is using the 6.1.1 Asio driver. As far as I know the 6.1.1 wave driver is playback only. I´m using an Emachines 6805 laptop with amd 64 with 512mb.
Thanks, John

Bob L
07-02-2004, 02:59 AM
Don't know for sure, but the Digi ASIO driver may be using 32 bit floating point format for the data being passed. This is not supported in SAWStudio's ASIO implementation, if that is the case.

What happens if you use the MME driver and turn on the WDM 24 bit compatibilty mode in SAWStudio's Options menu / Driver Model?

Bob L

johnnymac2201
07-02-2004, 04:30 AM
I´ve gotten it to work using the 5.3.3 wave driver and Rails MME helper, not using 24 bit WDM. Seems to be stable for the moment. Didn´t know that the MME helper could also be used the 5.3.3 driver. Thanks for all the help. If it remains stable you can count me in, my money will be on the way.
John

Rail Jon Rogut
07-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Aah.. that explains it.. you need the ASIO 6.1.1 driver (and can't have PT earlier than 6.1 installed to use that driver version) to use the Digi ASIO driver with SAWStudio. Works flawlessly for me here.

If you uninstall PT 5.x you can install the ASIO 6.1.1 driver as standalone to use SAWStudio. ASIO 6.1.1 adds MIDI support for 3rd party apps so it isn't really required for the MBox anyway which doesn't have any built in MIDI ports... and to use the MIDI ports PT 6.x must be installed.

Rail

johnnymac2201
07-06-2004, 02:39 AM
I was still having problems with the Digi Asio driver, but was getting ok results with the wave driver 5.3.3. The problem with the Asio driver was a very low input, but I just tried changing the Multitrack resolution to 24 bits and using the Asio driver and now everything is working fine. Allright!!! I´ve bought SSBasic and am looking forward to getting to work with it. Thanks again for all the help. :D
John

Bob L
07-06-2004, 06:53 AM
Welcome aboard... hope things stabilize with the soundcard for you as you start diving in deeper. Sounds like you and Rail have got it under control. :)

Bob L