PDA

View Full Version : ANY SUGGESTIONS

mike_da_min
06-07-2005, 09:20 AM
Ok fellow sawer's here is my plight

I have a gateway laptop with 1 gig of memory. It has an internal 4200 30G HD running XP SP1. I am using a pcmcia card (FW) to interact with my Fireface 800. After switching cards and turning my PC from ACPI to Standard PC, I finally am able to get sound and full control of my fireface with saw. The audio does stutter alot but I now have an external HD (160 G partitioned into two parts). I have performed all the tweaks on musicxp and the tweaks Bob has suggested to gain optimal performance. I am still not there. I must note that I have not tried to use the external drive extensively yet so this may solve alot of my problems. I am also thinking about reformatting the drive because I have 8 peripherals on the same IRQ (11) including the video card, all my USB ports, my firewire card, and my cardreaders which I have disabled because I am not using. I want a smooth running machine. I know I am just a few steps away but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have played with the settings in the RME Fireface log and the only time I get smooth playback is when I have the RME set to 512 with SAW set to 2048 and I have to record in SRP mode???? Any suggestions will be carefully considered and wonderfully accepted.

Rent is due so I need to get this puppy up and running :D

Bob L
06-07-2005, 09:28 AM
Your harddrive is slow... but that should not cause stuttering playback of a few tracks.

What driver model are you running... and how many buffers are you using along with that 2048 size... I would say reset SAWStudio to 4 x 1024 as a starter and see what happens... that runs on even the worse generic sound drivers I have tested.

Make sure you are playing back at the correct samplerate... so if your track files are 44.1k make sure the MT is set to 44.1k or you may be constantly doing live samplerate... and if your Live SRC quality is set to high... your machine will most likely stutter.

Make sure that along with your tweaks you have shutdown or removed all virus checkers and internet watchdog programs. Your taskbar should not be filled with icons for background applications.

Bob L

bit
06-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Have you reinstalled windows after switching from acpi to standard? That is a must. I'm not a laptop'er but I thought laptops usually worked fine with acpi enabled. And if it's really turned off I thought the problem with everything wanting the same IRQ also should be solved. The bios should now be controlling the IRQ settings instead of windows. Have you tried to seperate the IRQ's there? (in bios)

BIT

mike_da_min
06-07-2005, 03:24 PM
NO reinstall yet. This would seem to be a last resort. My bios does not have any advanced features so the only thing I know is that with the parallel port off, I do have two unreserved IRQ's 5 and 7. But I have no physical control of how I utilized these IRQ's. So I might Have to do a clean install (again) :eek: :eek: :eek: