PDA

View Full Version : Bats and MWS

Neal Starrett
06-09-2005, 09:17 AM
There I was last night trying to figure out some issues I'm having with MWS, bout 3am, all of a sudden there's this bat flying around my head, with I'd say a 2 foot wingspan. I kid you not, I don't know how the hell he got in but there he was. I immeadiatly jumped up, headphones flying off and rather quickly went into the kitchen, where 2 seconds later he followed me. At this point I'm starting to feel rather hunted. What is this? Count Cubase trying to get me back to the fold? I picked up an empty box and trying to sort of box him, I accidently knocked him out,:eek: there he was wimpering but unscathed, scooted him up and out the sliding door, he flew away. Weird eh?
Ok, MWS, I am using Kompakt now, and often a note will get hungup and just stay on for many measures. If you look at the VST keyboard you can acually see this note stuck most of the time but not all the time. If I hit the note on my keyboard and I can sort of unstick it. The midi data looks correct but like I said, the note just stays on. I have Cubase SE around so I installed it to see if it happens there. Nope. Every thing works fine in SE. So I export the midi file,,import to MWS and notes get stuck. I'm a little stumped. I thought it might be the kB but seems thats note the case. Maybe it's me but I seem to keep having MWS issues. It's not usb by the way. Any help with MWS would be greatly appreciated.(and advise on stray bats to):confused:
Niles

kent
06-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Great story about the bat Niles. I guess he was there to help you see in the dark! (interesting that they 'see' using sound! holy BatStudio Batman!) Should of let him hang around a little longer to help you.

In China, the word for bat is "fu", which is also the name of the character for happiness, and they are held in high esteem as omens of good luck and happiness. Artists still use a traditional design of five bats arranged around the tree of life to represent the five blessings. Bats play an important part in the folklore of several North American Indian tribes. Traditional Navajo Indians of the Southwest desert believe the bat is the connection between humans and gods. Although the bat itself is not a god, its powers are higher than those of people. Bats offer helpful guidance to humans.

:)

Bob L
06-09-2005, 11:29 AM
I've seen some stuck note or controller interaction with Kompakt when using multiple tracks and midi channels in the same VST patched plug... running Kompakt stand-alone... or patching separate VST plugs for each patch may clear the problem... do not have a handle on what it does not like about the MWS... the same session pointed to other VST synths will not stick on many of my tests.

You may try the Midi Short Msg compatibility mode for the VPorts used with your Kompakt and see if that has any effect.

Can you try the same midi file or track that sticks pointed to a different VST synth and see if it sticks also... I have a feeling there is something going on between Kompakt and the MWS directly.

Bob L

Dingo
06-09-2005, 11:46 AM
On a serious note...did that bat touch exposed skin anywhere on your body? The reason I ask...
I was painting a house last summer and a bat flew at my face. I was on top of 24 foot ladder (at a weekend home with no one else around or likely to show for a couple of weeks :eek: ) I manged to scare off the bat with my manly screams and arm waving. I told this story to the home owner who is a leading AIDS researcher and he had a really funny reaction. He kind of laughed and then adopted this manner which was clearly ment to not upset me or get me excited (it did both because it was so obvious) and started asking if the bat touched me or got saliva on me or punctured my skin, any cuts or marks that weren't there before the bat incident. Apparently it is REALLY easy to get rabies from a bat so watch yourself for symptoms. One thing he did make clear is I did NOT want rabies. Don't want to freak you out, I'm just saying...

Neal Starrett
06-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Dingo, na, he didn't drool on me so I think I'm safe. Think I'll go with Kents twist and go for the blessings. It's pretty funny in retrospect.

Bob, it was a session with full multi, 8 slots filled and triggering off from midi channels 1-8. I did try the Midi Short Msg compatibility, didn't seem to help but I'll try again. I think I erased that particular file for comparisum but I'll make sure I try the same midi file on a different vst next time it happens and report back to you. I'll also try the seperate VST plug for each patch. It will be a few days. I also did some tracking today without a hitch so it's intermittent. It's such a great plug and I"ll work around it if need be, but would be nice to fix if possible. Thanks for the suggestions, I will get back to you.
niles

Pedro Itriago
06-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Have you guys been paid to make advertising for a soon-to-be-released film?

kent
06-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Yes

Pedro Itriago
06-09-2005, 02:58 PM
And so...it begins

Tim Miskimon
06-10-2005, 06:25 AM
There I was last night trying to figure out some issues I'm having with MWS, bout 3am, all of a sudden there's this bat flying around my head, with I'd say a 2 foot wingspan. I kid you not, I don't know how the hell he got in but there he was. I immeadiatly jumped up, headphones flying off and rather quickly went into the kitchen, where 2 seconds later he followed me. At this point I'm starting to feel rather hunted. What is this? Count Cubase trying to get me back to the fold? I picked up an empty box and trying to sort of box him, I accidently knocked him out,:eek: there he was wimpering but unscathed, scooted him up and out the sliding door, he flew away. Weird eh?
(and advise on stray bats to):confused:
Niles
Geez man -
what kind of music were you recording and what were you smoking?
Must have been some good **** man... ;)
Great story - what's next - flying monkeys... :D

On a more serious note - Only SAW can capture the higher frequencies that dogs, bats, & Gods other creatures can appreciate - that was a sign man - take heed and never use another audio software again - the bat appearance was written into the code in 3.9e... some of us less fortunate souls (with slower machines) might only get a partial effect...in my case an X girl friend showed up un-announced... :D

Neal Starrett
06-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Tim, it was some ethereal jazz type stuff and I'm not sure where the smoke was from. Now ya got me thinkin of installing SS on my old machine if it brings back the X girlfriend though.:D I kinda thought that SS had something to do with it with what Kent said about them "seeing sound". This bat followed me from room to room. It hardly moved its wings, a couple of slow up and downs and it was literally gliding down the hallway. If it didn't look like a flying rat I might not have been so freaked out. Kinda gracefull. Well, on another note, MWS is working like a charm today, so far. One obsevation of interest here by the way is, when I had moved over to Cubase, and was importing/exporting files, I made a mix. I then compared it to the same midi files/ mixed in SS. Same PC, same resolution and settings. Everything flat in both. I A/B"d them for a while using Winamp. SS definitly wins out. There is definitly a difference such has been reported by some. OK, off to do a mix for some Count that called.:confused:

niles