PDA

View Full Version : Layer Feature Request

MMP
07-02-2004, 02:41 PM
I would love to see two features added to SAW's layers.

1. A visual display of which layers have info on them in the "copy to" layers menu...even if the choices were red instead of black when empty, or a dot following the layer name. I have mistakenly overwritten info because I thought a layer was empty when it was not.

2. Layer swapping command. When comping layers I would like to be able to swap the area in the "keeper" layer that I am overwriting into the track I am writing from so that it remains available if I change my mind later [past my undo level]. This would be most handy when all layers are full.

Respectfully,

MM

Bob L
07-02-2004, 10:35 PM
These sound like good ideas... I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,

Bob L

TotalSonic
07-03-2004, 05:28 AM
The other thing that I can think of that would be cool (and probably difficult to code - so please don't think that I would ever expect this to happen any time soon!) would be a "Layer View" where you can see all layers for a single track vertically the same as the Multitrack view - and which would use the same commands as the Multitrack view for moving and editing the regions contained in the layers.

I think for tracks where there is very complex comping this could speed up some edits, as everything would visually in front of you at once without having to switch the layers.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

MMP
07-03-2004, 06:10 AM
I remember Bob having expressed interest in this idea before.

If I could just refrain from asking for new stuff every week or two, maybe he would get to it. http://www.sawstudiouser.net/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

MM

Dingo
07-03-2004, 06:27 AM
How bout this? Lets say you have a track and seven layers. Make it so you can select a portion of the track and audition each section of each layer and then apply which one you like the best to the track. This would make comping vocals SOOOOOO much easier. Also, how about more layers? Any reason you couldn't have 17 layers or 24? With some singers, the more the better :)

MMP
07-03-2004, 06:34 AM
I don't understand the request, as you can audition & select a range as layers exist now.

Could you explain?

MM

Make it so you can select a portion of the track and audition each section of each layer and then apply which one you like the best to the track. This would make comping vocals SOOOOOO much easier.

Bob L
07-03-2004, 06:35 AM
To audition simply change layers while playing back with the number keys. I'm not sure pre-marking everything ahead of time would be that usefully any more effective in making layer choices.

Each layer eats up tons of internal memory resources because it has to happen for all tracks at once. In many cases a few more layers would truly impinge on the ability to use many plugins and other memory intensive stuff unless we all had 2 or more gigs of ram. There are other internal issues for each layer addition also... for now, I think 8 is fine. :)

I have looked into the idea of a layer view... but again, we'll see when time permits... it is a complex piece of code, essentially duplicating a whole new MT view.

Bob L

TotalSonic
07-03-2004, 06:38 AM
How bout this? Lets say you have a track and seven layers. Make it so you can select a portion of the track and audition each section of each layer and then apply which one you like the best to the track. This would make comping vocals SOOOOOO much easier. Also, how about more layers? Any reason you couldn't have 17 layers or 24? With some singers, the more the better :)

Dingo -
This already exists. You can switch back and forth in real time on the layers just by hitting the number keys on the top of the keyboard. So to audition the different takes on each layer you just playback the area and bring whatever layer you want to hear to the top by hitting the number key corresponding to that layer.

I believe the reason that there is a limit on layers is that they require cpu/ram resources - so to increase their number could possibly mean a performance hit. Maybe Bob can confirm whether this is true or not. Having more would make using just the number keys to switch between them not possible also.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Yura
07-03-2004, 07:38 AM
it's too easy to fantasy...
another impudent idea to layers is to have
new small "Layers view" window. in this window layers represent
in very small lines placeing in two dimensions of their
time orientation, each under other. maybe with current cursor
position not for move. so you can see this picture and be
not such blind about them as you use to be sometimes.

only fantasy.

Dingo
07-03-2004, 11:40 AM
yeah see...cough, cough...I havn't actually... that is to say....USED the layer feature per say....exactly...posted early this mornig...no coffee...I hear the phone, gotta go.

canipus
07-03-2004, 01:23 PM
So you're NOT a SAW Studio basic user like your profile indicates?
The Basic version doesn't have more than layer # 0.
Why don't you get your profile changed to reflect the actual version you're using?

Dingo
07-03-2004, 02:30 PM
I am a saw basic user. but I have never used the SSL demo or the saw studio demo.

Perry
07-03-2004, 03:37 PM
The other thing that I can think of that would be cool (and probably difficult to code - so please don't think that I would ever expect this to happen any time soon!) would be a "Layer View" where you can see all layers for a single track vertically the same as the Multitrack view - and which would use the same commands as the Multitrack view for moving and editing the regions contained in the layers.

I think for tracks where there is very complex comping this could speed up some edits, as everything would visually in front of you at once without having to switch the layers.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Just to chime in here... I like this idea too.... a lot. It could be a real plus for intricate comping of tracks (as you say) and I think it would be an appealing feature both functionally and visually. And.. it would be very coool! ;)

I can imagine sitting with clients comping vocal tracks where they (and I) could see all the takes at once. It'd be cool to be able to hit a shortcut and have the selected track "unfold" it's layers out onto the surface. They'd be impressed I'm sure.... me too!

Don't know where this fits in to Bob's order of priorities though.. maybe more important things will come first? But... this should be "on the list" somewhere... me thinks. :)

All the best,

Perry

Dave Tosti-Lane
07-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Spectral's Producer (originally Prisma Music) had an 8 layer scheme which could be done this way - you toggled the view of the track from single layer to all layers - in the all-layer view, each track was slightly taller than usual, and was split into 8 bands, with half-waveform displays for each layer (only showing the positive side of each wave). It wasn't practical to do much editing with the much less resolved small layer views, but it was very handy to zero in on the locations in the track where you had overdubs or alternate versions.

Actually, that half-wave display was also selectable for the single layer view, and sometimes it was useful, as you could have the full track width to show the dynamic range of the track.

Dave Tosti-Lane

mghtx
07-03-2004, 06:50 PM
How about 2 layers for Basic?

SawStudio-----8 layers
Lite-----------4 layers
Basic---------2 layers

I can ask can't I ? :D Don't shoot!!!!