PDA

View Full Version : EDL glitch?

Cary B. Cornett
06-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Once in a great while I am running into a strange error. It happens seldom enough that I cannot come up with a guaranteed set of conditions to reproduce it.

Occasionally, a region will go "dead" part way through. The cursor is still moving through the visible waveform, but the sound stops suddenly. This happens mainly, as far as I can tell, with short regions (a few seconds or less). Following regions on the same track will be OK, and in all other respects playback continues normally. It is as though the playback engine was given an earlier region end boundary than what shows on the screen.

On at least one occasion I was able to "fix" the corrupted region by "undoing" the EDL to a state prior to where the failure occurred. I don't want to do this routinely, though, because of the other work progress that I could lose.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

Craig Allen
06-13-2005, 10:13 AM
No, I've never seen anything like this myself.

UpTilDawn
06-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Last year I had similar experiences a number of times, but always chalked it up to something "I'd" done in editing. It was terribly frustrating at the time because it caused me to go through a lot of work to recover what I'd apparently lost.
The problem has not resurfaced for many, many months..... I can't even say for sure how I might have "fixed" it, it's been so long.

Hope you find a solution soon.

DanT

p.s.
I've had messed up regions where the wav drawing looks perfectly normal at a standard zoom level, but then displays "dead space" when zoomed in for tight editing. There's normally some audio problem with this as well, but I have no idea what causes this to happen.

Bob L
06-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Cary,

Could be that the original wav file connected to the region has been modified outside the SAW environment and now the region points past the end of the file... or perhaps you have overwritten the original file by recording or mixing to a new file of the same name in the same folder, thereby corrupting region data.

Oh... one more thing comes to mind... are these regions on drives that are beyond the 120 gb size... this is the kind of thing that may happen with larger drives.

Bob L

Cary B. Cornett
06-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Cary,

Could be that the original wav file connected to the region has been modified outside the SAW environment and now the region points past the end of the file... or perhaps you have overwritten the original file by recording or mixing to a new file of the same name in the same folder, thereby corrupting region data.

Oh... one more thing comes to mind... are these regions on drives that are beyond the 120 gb size... this is the kind of thing that may happen with larger drives.

Bob L
I can confidently say "none of the above". The involved files were handled ONLY by Saw Studio Lite, never processed through any other program. There have been no "overwrites". In one case, a few undo steps "fixed" the region, so at least in that case I proved that the referenced wav file had not been corrupted.

All of the hard drives that I now have are less than 120 Gb in size.

Unfortunately, by the time I thought to see if I could send along an EDL showing the fault, I had forgotten where the affected region was (the "lost" segment was something I later trimmed out anyway, so any "evidence" is now well hidden).

If I run across this glitch again I will try to send you the relevant EDL info.

Bob L
06-13-2005, 05:31 PM
OK... we'll stay on the lookout. :)

Bob L