PDA

View Full Version : waveforms???

bertie
05-22-2004, 04:04 PM
hi Bob,

just a quick question

why doesn't SAWStudio draw waveforms during record like many audio software and are you planning to include this in the next release?

Bertie(lifetime SAWStudio user) :)

Bob L
05-22-2004, 04:46 PM
I never felt that drawing the waveform while recording was a must-have feature, especially at the expense of the cpu time that is required, especially when recording 16 and more tracks in the MultiTrack at the same time.

My focus was on trying to keep the recording load as efficient as I could, while still maintaining low latency so that the virtual console and signal routing that SAWStudio is all about could operate as glitch free as possible.

The meter displays remaining glitchfree and the freedom of F-Key workspace switching was more important to me than simply seeing a waveform display while recording.

Perhaps this could become an enhancement in a future update, but I probably won't do it at the expense of possibly glitching an otherwise good recording session. :o

Bob L

mghtx
05-22-2004, 06:46 PM
How about just a solid line instead of a waveform when recording? This is in Sonar. Of course it's really not that big of a deal to me and I don't want SS to slow down any.

Bob L
05-22-2004, 07:23 PM
I have been playing around with the inversing like the SoundFile View recording, but I'm not sure yet... we'll see.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
05-22-2004, 10:12 PM
SS already has THE BEST metering of any other software I've ever used. I feel that is definetly enough to make sound judgements.

It would be nice to have a something fill in the space so it is visually easy to reference where something has already been recorded. Just a block that fills the space behind the cursor on record enabaled tracks. Waveforms certainly arent necassary, I think, which such amazing metering.

Dave Tosti-Lane
05-23-2004, 09:55 PM
I would agree that a moving block would be perfectly workable. You can, of course, see the moving cursor now, but it would be reassuring to see active recording tracks with a visual indicator of being "filled".

I don't think it's worth giving up any resources to a waveform display though - as cool as it might look.

Dave Tosti-Lane

TotalSonic
05-23-2004, 11:35 PM
I would agree that a moving block would be perfectly workable. You can, of course, see the moving cursor now, but it would be reassuring to see active recording tracks with a visual indicator of being "filled".

I don't think it's worth giving up any resources to a waveform display though - as cool as it might look.

Dave Tosti-Lane

I totally agree with Dave here - a solid block would be a nice reassuring safety check - since the cursor moves during just playback also - the moving block would be a nice way to know we're really recording in case the meters weren't visible in our view for any reason also.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

matt
05-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Whoa people!
We are recording and manipulating sound here, not playing a video game. If you can't hear well enough to do an accurate punch, turn up the volume. Getting pre-occupied with flashy visuals will only take away from the sound. In fact, when I was a second engineer in a major studio, the vets would always cover up the meters or anything that might distract their ears. :eek:

Burkeville
05-24-2004, 01:18 AM
The Protools does this as you can edit while still recording. It took me awhile to get used to the two cursor thing. One of the few nice things about that system in my opinion.
What would you use it for in SAW?

bcorkery
05-24-2004, 11:02 AM
I've never missed the waveform during recording since I don't need it until I edit. I vote for saving the CPU power for other things or being able to switch waveform on and off.

Thanks,
Bill Corkery

Dave Tosti-Lane
05-24-2004, 06:11 PM
Ha - no, definitely not interested in making it a video game Matt :rolleyes: , but I'm frequently doing foley type sfx work by myself for theater sound, and that means usually starting Studio recording, then working on the other side of the room, or even through a window with various pieces of odd junk to create sounds. So - I can't see the cursor moving - the reassurance of seeing a simple block of color moving across the screen would be nice. I doubt this would really take very much in the way of resources to happen - essentially it's just changing the color of the trak as the cursor sweeps by.

(I had a Pro Tools system back in '92 that worked this way - of course, you might point out that I'm not still recording on it because I have found SAW to be a better system, from SAW classic version 2.3 on. <g>)

Dave Tosti-Lane

matt
05-24-2004, 06:39 PM
After thinking about it in different circumstances, I realized I have missed a few takes by having the wrong input selected, but that is precisely what the meters are for (well that and peak indication). A bigger monitor would be a good investment. I really do see realtime waveform drawing as a gimmik that may wow a client, but really isn't worth the time spent on Bob's part. It would eat up resources and it is not crucial to production. ;)

Craig Allen
05-24-2004, 06:52 PM
I disagree on the part where you say it's a gimmick, Matt - I've been fooled in SRP mode before where I thought I was recording, but wasn't. The meters were going (as they're supposed to), but no recording was happening. A solid block versus a waveform would be fine, as it would serve the same purpose - to let you know something was being recorded. But waveforms would be essential if you were able to edit during recording, as Burkeville mentioned you can do in PT. I think a switchable function would be ideal - something you could turn off to save resources. But the truth is that in most cases, you've got plenty of resources available in a modern machine - drawing a block or waveform really wouldn't be a big deal.

Also, the ability to edit while recording brings up another idea - being able to edit while playing back, that's one I'd really like to be able to do.

But it's not at the top of my priority list.

Shawn
05-25-2004, 04:58 AM
I'll chime in here to say that in my 6 months or so using SS, I have found that between the record meters running, (and they are great meters, I hardly ever use my soundcard's control panel anymore), and that nice, big, "red" record button staying lit up, I have all of the security blanket that I need while tracking! not to mention that if you're live input monitoring thru SS while tracking, (as I usually do), you will know without a doubt if it stops recording.

Oz Nimbus
05-25-2004, 10:15 AM
It would be cool, even with a solid block. However, this should be a switchable option.

-0z-