PDA

View Full Version : Plugin ? VST / DX

mikebuzz
06-22-2005, 01:02 PM
I have been talking to others at PSW about how plugins are handled by different app's , we were discussing how a VST plug will handle it's bit structure ( or more accurately what is the structure ?? )

I was told that most VST plugs are 32 bit floating point and the hardware is at 24 bit fixed , is this correct ??

Robert you have developed a few whats your take ?? , The main discussion was regarding multiple plugs and sound degredation caused by the conversion process .

Just curious

Buzz
:confused: :D

AudioAstronomer
06-22-2005, 01:31 PM
That's correct, and there's no degredation going from 24-bit fixed to 32-bit floating but vice versa is very possible. Processing in floating-point can be hazardous too if you're not careful.

The debate is stale in my opinion, just make music :)

mikebuzz
06-22-2005, 03:08 PM
I was just curious Robert if some plugs are better than others regarding this

LAter
Buzz

Bob L
06-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Test the plugins that you want to use... see how they perform... listen to the audio results... throw away the ones that bring the experience down.

In most cases, you are using plugins to effect the audio in some way anyway... to add fx and definitely alter the sound... so the main thing is... do you like the resulting affect... if so... use it.

Bob L

Tree Leopard
06-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Bob - on the subject of plugs... are there any plans to include integrated support for some of the older GUI-less plugs? (rather than using FX32 Linker / VST Linker each time). Or does this get a little messy in the code dept.?

Andre

AudioAstronomer
06-22-2005, 08:16 PM
I was just curious Robert if some plugs are better than others regarding this

LAter
Buzz

Of course some are better than others....

but honestly, which is more important? The plugin that loses data down at -140db, but is a totally kick ass chorus.. or the perfect data-type conversion that just sounds like utter stuff? (apparently s.h.i.t.e is censored?)

like bob said, just pick what sounds good and get on with it. The crazy stuff is what works great on p4's maybe slightly inferior on amd's or vice versa! So it's a mixed bag, and even then the errors are almost imperceptually low.

It just seems fishy to me to worry about changing the sound of the audio, when you're putting the VST on for that specific point! to change the audio!

Id rather spend my time arguing about which 24k gold ribbon speaker cables sound the best (LOL) and which lacquer enhances the sound of my stereo when properly applied to my fossilized redwood volume knob.

mikebuzz
06-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Ya know I got some of that lacquer it REALLY gets you goin'''''''

LAter
Buzz

PS: I agree with you guys in that dept. I was just curious like I said , if it's -140db down than who cares , hell my guitar amp has a hell of alot of noise :cool:

TotalSonic
06-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Bob - on the subject of plugs... are there any plans to include integrated support for some of the older GUI-less plugs? (rather than using FX32 Linker / VST Linker each time). Or does this get a little messy in the code dept.?

Andre

Seems kind of a waste of Bob's coding time to me. First off - there is a freeware solution easily & readily available as you noted. If this doesn't work to your liking there's a number of wrappers that work well, such as the "VST Skin Rack Wizard" that comes bundled with VST-DX Wrapper Pro from Spin Audio - http://www.spinaudio.com/products.php?id=27&page=description -
that will allow you to design your own guis -

and -
Pretty much EVERY new VST plugin these days comes with a gui. While the MDA, Frasier, and Vintage Power Pack gui-less stuff was pretty powerful for its day - at this point I think you can find a number of freeware plugs WITH gui's that sound even better -
Check out the lists on http://www.kvraudio.com & http://www.vstcentral.com/ for some links to a huge variety of VST freeware and cheapware.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

AudioAstronomer
06-22-2005, 10:53 PM
unfortunately, for most people... simulanalog is unbeatable in the free or commercial world... I think it's a moot point anyways

Bob L
06-23-2005, 04:25 AM
I think I have plenty of stuff on my list that I'd rather do... there are numbers of solutions, as pointed out, and for the few useful plugs that fit this category, those solutions should do fine. :)

Bob L

Tree Leopard
06-24-2005, 10:37 PM
I think I have plenty of stuff on my list that I'd rather do... there are numbers of solutions, as pointed out, and for the few useful plugs that fit this category, those solutions should do fine. :)

Bob LNo probs :)

Andre

SoundSuite
06-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Id rather spend my time arguing about which 24k gold ribbon speaker cables sound the best (LOL) and which lacquer enhances the sound of my stereo when properly applied to my fossilized redwood volume knob.

oh man, that reminds me, I need to go to the dentist (almost as fun, lol)

AudioAstronomer
06-25-2005, 08:28 PM
oh man, that reminds me, I need to go to the dentist (almost as fun, lol)

That went right over my head... an accomplishment due to my immense stature.