PDA

View Full Version : All via SAW?

Yura
07-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Hi all

Can somebody answer one q.

say you decide to use SAW as "Full Mixer Console".
mic of performer plugged into external mixer or preamp, next to soundcard,
signal goes inside SAW, ready to record, branches off to aux, mixing with signals of some playing tracks, gaines with internal processing (compression, reverb...) goes out from SAW to... phones of performer. another branch of mix goes out from SAW to control room. All through SAW.
but isn't here a little uncomfortable when SRP stops, you cannot hear the voice of performer that says "how did you like my last refrain?"
and at the same time, you must enter live mode immediately for breaking
the dead silence and say "ok, nothing I like u singing"

hope you'v not puzzled

thanx

AudioAstronomer
07-05-2004, 10:11 PM
I simply mark an area for punch-in then just let it run.

The new engine update Bob seems to be speaking of should have some great improvements in this area.

Bob L
07-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Yura,

In that recording situation you can simply press RecRdy instead of stop when you are done recording... the recording drops to the MT and the engine is still running for live inputs to be active.

So you are simply jumping between Record and RecRdy.

And with analog tape and sync head switching, it was the other way around... how many times would you start the deck and the input signal gets cutoff just as the performer is trying to tell you to go farther into the chorus... and you can't hear him until you stop tape. :)

So there are issues in either case... and I'll tell you one thing... I'll trade the SAWStudio issues anyday compared to having to bias a Studer 24 track deck everytime I switch tapes. :D

Bob L

Shawn
07-06-2004, 12:16 AM
So there are issues in either case... and I'll tell you one thing... I'll trade the SAWStudio issues anyday compared to having to bias a Studer 24 track deck everytime I switch tapes. :D

Bob L

I'll take any SAWStudio issues over manually resetting a console and effects/patchbay as well as switching tapes when I want to do a little work on a different song!! :)

omaru
07-06-2004, 04:17 AM
I'll take any SAWStudio issues over manually resetting a console and effects/patchbay as well as switching tapes when I want to do a little work on a different song!! :)

I agree

Yura
07-06-2004, 07:54 AM
Thanx,

so, unceasing switching to RecReady mode is possible. maybe this is good.
but only on the out of record. before the record we must do more
then one push: being in live mode, push spcbar first to exit live mode
and push spcbar second to enter SRP.
hmmm... maybe even better instead of pushing recready for exiting record
- to push spacebar and next push "L". that could be maybe more comfortable
because nothing gonna as blocked as with rec ready button...
but... only some hours of real work will say what is more suitable :).
here I cannot understand a logic why "L" button isn't designed to be active over MT window???

BTW I never had practice with those tape decks :) I only can hardly imagine all you mention about it.

"I'll take any SAWStudio issues over manually resetting a console and effects/patchbay as well as switching tapes when I want to do a little work on a different song!! "
Sense of those words I cannot translate to my language in my head after
zealous attempts. Does it mean: even most "uncomfortable" switching in
SAW is very comfortable if to compare to switching tapes? :)

thankx.

Bob L
07-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Yura,

When you are getting ready to record, simply use RecRdy all the time instead of Live Input Mode... when RecRdy is active all live inputs are active.

To record from there, simply click Record, or SRP and then Record, or Shift-SRP to punch and go at the same time.

You can go from RecRdy to SRP-Record in one click and back again to RecRdy in one click.

Try the mouse... its a very powerful input device. :)

Live Mode is a special mode to get the engine running without any record setup or playback. It is not needed when the record transport panel is up.

Bob L

Shawn
07-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Does it mean: even most "uncomfortable" switching in
SAW is very comfortable if to compare to switching tapes? :)

thankx.

Yes, close enough. :)

By the way, you did a nice job on the new shade.

Carlos Mills
07-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Yura,

When you are getting ready to record, simply use RecRdy all the time instead of Live Input Mode... when RecRdy is active all live inputs are active.

To record from there, simply click Record, or SRP and then Record, or Shift-SRP to punch and go at the same time.

You can go from RecRdy to SRP-Record in one click and back again to RecRdy in one click.

Try the mouse... its a very powerful input device. :)

Live Mode is a special mode to get the engine running without any record setup or playback. It is not needed when the record transport panel is up.

Bob L

Hi Bob, Yura and all,

I was going to start a new thread about this, but this thread is so on topic that I will continue here... I finally finished my upgrade! Everything is running smooth, so I started my Live Input Recording tests and I must say I am amused! I used Bob's suggestion (about using the last channels of the console as the input channels and using the first channels to record/monitor from "tape"). It worked VERY well. Until the new engine is ready, I this is by far the best way to work that I have tested... I can't wait to sell may 32 channel console. But before doing so, I must test this new system for some more time...

Best regards,

Carlos

AudioAstronomer
07-06-2004, 04:07 PM
I used Bob's suggestion (about using the last channels of the console as the input channels and using the first channels to record/monitor from "tape"). It worked VERY well.

Do'h!!

I missed that one somehow!

Blah. that gives me reason to upgrade from lite already ;) 36 input channels, muahah! :)

Damn that's a good idea Bob. You are really a genius.

[edit] I see I forgot to read Bob's first reply to my other thread :) Oh well :) I had found another solution after... this one is better :)

Yura
07-06-2004, 04:21 PM
Thanks,

oh, I'm sorry, Bob, at last I see that RecReady locks only MT cursor, but all
other functions are controlled, my poor head!
even if somebody preferes to use keyboard instd of mouse for starting SRP from RecReady state - it is enouth to make 2 hits on Spacebar - one after one.:)

Personaly, I was enchanted by magic-mouse when first time of life saw computer. but after years felt to have more access to keys :)

Oz Nimbus
07-06-2004, 06:31 PM
I've been using the last few channels for input monitoring since my first session... that was one of the first things I figured out about this program. It just makes sense.

Robert, I'm a little surprised you've only caught onto this idea just now. :eek:
You seem determined to master every last feature of Saw, I figured you'd be doing things this way at the onset! :D :D :D

(hey, don't feel bad. I only started to look at the Library functions a few days ago.... mostly due to your "Taco Bell" thread.)

AudioAstronomer
07-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Robert, I'm a little surprised you've only caught onto this idea just now. :eek:
You seem determined to master every last feature of Saw, I figured you'd be doing things this way at the onset!

Hey, everyone has room to learn :) There is a delicate balance between knowing and doing one has to balance... Ive spent the last while "doing". It's quite possible to know how to do a lot of things but not be able to DO those things.. it's a constant balancing act. :)

(hey, don't feel bad. I only started to look at the Library functions a few days ago.... mostly due to your "Taco Bell" thread.)

Yeah man, library views ROCK for music editing. drum editing; Just pick your favorite few snare hits (all hit differently) and go to town... I normally keep a second library with "leak" files. I.e I have one library with stuff straight from the snare mic. Then another library with the same snare hit, but from the overheads (or whatever has a lot of leakage from the snare). Makes for a much more natural edit. Bass guitar and upright editing is fab with libraries too :) Using zero-cross and softedge you can take about any note and sustain or shorten it however you want very naturally! Of course doing sfx is fab.. I am going to experiment with "programming" drum loops tonight with library views whenever my eyes start to hurt too much from working on the shade.

Oh yeah, today I got 3 more people interested in saw. A band visiting to see if they want to book time (one of those groups that's all about "vibe")... I suggested they just buy saw and some basic compressors/mics and Ill work at their place.... Went over saw for 2-3 hours and it seems like a plan... but the guitarist spoke up and asked why dont I just bring my laptop with SAW... ergh, I think I lost the sale but they are interested ;) I gotta remember to get to be a VIP affiliate... When my car gets fixed tommorow Ill do it assuming it's not too expensive (the car that is)

Anyways, I went off topic enough :)

AH! There's a limit on smileys!!! Im doomed !

Oz Nimbus
07-06-2004, 07:19 PM
but the guitarist spoke up and asked why dont I just bring my laptop with SAW... ergh, I think I lost the sale but they are interested ;)

Well, that's might be because Saw isn't exactly a beginner's program.... That, and engineering takes years to learn. :) At least you might get to record them.

BTW, your library file technique sounds very interesting. I must mess with them some more.... Maybe after I finish up my current project.