PDA

View Full Version : Best Horn libraries ?

Mitch
07-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Looking for killer horn sample library. Not orchestral. Jazz, pop, rock, big band etc. -- What's out there that's killer ?

Alan Lastufka
07-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Kick Ass Brass (yes, its a real product) has a nice name for what you're looking for - I've never used it though. I use Project SAM exclusively for Brass, but they might be too orchestral for your needs.

Mitch
07-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks Alan ! I did a quick google search and found them. Cant find a US retailer though. All I can find is a direct buy from AMG $199 EURO .....do you happen to know where else I might look here in the US ?

Thanks again!

Alan Lastufka
07-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Mitch, it doesn't look like they have Kick Ass Brass, but www.houseofsamples.com have a few other options all with demos you can listen to and they are some of the best people to deal with when purchasing samples.

Sam C
07-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Memphis Horns!

Sean McCoy
07-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks Alan ! I did a quick google search and found them. Cant find a US retailer though. All I can find is a direct buy from AMG $199 EURO .....do you happen to know where else I might look here in the US ?

Thanks again!

AMG only sells direct, but they have an office in Florida now. You can opt to display prices in dollars on their site. Kick Ass Brass has interested me for some time, but it is a little pricey for its depth. They're about to release a version 2 that expands the library with mutes, bari sax, etc.

Big Fish Audio just announced a new big band horn library as well:

http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detail.html?769

There are at least two others "in the works," including one from Gary Garritan. This has long been a weak point in the sample world, with all the recent energy going into mammoth orchestral libraries. Looks like that's changing right now. By the way, SAM Brass is great (especially for the money), but is definitely not suited to jazz or pop.