PDA

View Full Version : LynxOne

omaru
07-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Are people here happy with drivers for LynxOnes and LynxTwos or prefer RME?

Thanks

TotalSonic
07-06-2004, 04:26 PM
I use a Lynx One (tied via AES to external 96kHz capable ad & da converters) for my mastering rig here at Europadisk - and for simple 2 in / 2 out stuff it works rock solid. I have even used it in Live mode using the ASIO drivers to process digital streams going from CD through SAW and then to the vinyl disc cutting lathe or to analog tape. Lynx Two also has the advantage of having some of the nicest sounding converters that are directly on a sound card.

However - if you are at all concerned with achieving the lowest possible latencies using SAW (for using input monitoring for creating cue mixes or doing actual mixing using Live Mode, or for getting responsive performance from VSTi's - or for simply getting more of a hardware feel) then RME's cards or Sydec's Mixtreme to me are simply the best choices - you can get both these cards down as low as 2x64 using ASIO. Also - Lynx's on board mixer is no where near as nice as the Sydec Mixtreme v4 mixer or RME's Total Mix - both of which allow for lots of virtual routing options.

So - really it depends on your needs which solution is best for you. I use a Mixtreme for my multitrack and production needs - while the Lynx I found works great as a mastering card where simple AES, word clock and a seperate analog i/o is all that is needed. OMMV.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Naturally Digital
07-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Yeah... What Steve said.

I use a LynxOne alongside Mixtreme cards. No issues. Very nice if you want to run analog straight in/out of the computer. It also happens to have a good midi port. It's a real swiss army knife of soundcards because it has most of what you'd need I/O-wise (including wordclock). The L22 (and LynxTwo) is only better (and significantly, at that) in the converter department (even lower noise floor) and I'm under the impression that the drivers are more advanced on the newer Lynx cards (I haven't actually tested that however). I think they ditched the midi port on the L22. Too bad IMO. The thing I like on the analog front is that the cards are completely differential (balanced electronically) from input to output.

I've had occasion to speak with people from the company from time to time and much like our friends from RME and Soundscape, they're good folk. Very solid technically.

Hope this helps,
Dave.

omaru
07-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Thanks Steve and David for the info.
I have a LynxOne and it has been solid for 4 years, however with my old 1.2 T/bird, I could never get below 4x512.
That changed drastically with my new Athlon 64 but still not 2x64.
I plan to keep it for "stereo out" kind of work and am looking for something new for multichannel record - RME or LynxTwo perhaps.
The Live situation would be very handy too.

Thanks again - I needed to check the "user happiness".

omaru

Bob L
07-07-2004, 03:20 AM
With the Lynx, you can reach the lower latencies by using the ASIO driver model.

The MME driver will hang around the 512 mark. I believe that may have something to do with the fact that the card does not use interrupts.

Bob L

omaru
07-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Mmm - interesting. I generally only use ASIO.

Thanks Bob

omaru
07-09-2004, 02:29 AM
Does anyone have any experience with RME Multiface or Fireface 800.

Thanks

omaru

Mogers
07-09-2004, 02:43 AM
The RME Fireface 800 isn't available yet..... coming "late summer" I believe.

Mark

Bob L
07-09-2004, 03:03 AM
I have used many MultiFace boxes... they have worked great for me... I have one on my main production rig.

Bob L

omaru
07-09-2004, 03:20 AM
Great - thanks Bob and mogers.

omaru