PDA

View Full Version : Bob..mice, control surfaces, recorders.

brent
07-07-2004, 06:38 AM
Personally, I think that emulating a console with hardware that resembles a console, that costs as much as a console is simply stupid. Why not have a real mixing console with pre's, eq, summing, etc. What are your thoughts on the 60k to 90k control surfaces?

Is there a sine wave generator (not just a 1k tone) on the SAW console, or would I have to use a plug-in?

Also, have you talked with Barry and the boys at iZ Corp? It would seem to me that your software inside of the Radar would be "the bomb". This would make the ultimate portable all-in-one HD recorder/editor/mixer.

Brent

AudioAstronomer
07-07-2004, 07:50 AM
iZ has no interest in 3rd part last I spoke with them.

www.brainspawn.com gives you a tone generator you can place almost anywhere in the signal chain. Must more powerful than just taking one on SAW.

As for hardware emulating other hardware... some people need it. A lot of people who started with large format consoles have no interest in changing formats. They want the power of computers with the faders they know well.

There is also the "bling bling" factor... where people buy a big desk (even if it's a controller) just to make them look like what they perceive is a "Real" studio. Personally I think my monitor and 2 speakers looks much more like a "real studio" when SAW is running just as much as the next guy with an SSL. We've been down that route (amek angela) and it was more hassle than fun ;)

Bob L
07-07-2004, 09:58 AM
I agree with Robert... the idea of what is high tech and impressive looking in a production room is just a matter of people getting used to new concepts.

The idea of using 10-15 feet of precious control room space and placing a giant slab of metal directly in the reflective path of your monitors is extremely old energy and actually un-impressive to me now that I have seen what SAWStudio brings to the table.

To me, SAWStudio on a large monitor or dual monitors, beautifully designed into a nice custom desk, with all the power and performance that it brings to the table is much more impressive to clients as far as being high-tech, than a huge console with rows of duplicated hardware dictating the design of the room itself.

Its just a matter of people getting adapted to the idea. I find people are extremely amazed that I can do their entire mix on this one computer screen... they are usually blown away and impressed as if I am working some kind of new magic or rocket science. :)

After a short time in session, and after they hear the final results, I absolutely never get complaints about all the missing gear in the production room... never... in fact, many have told me straight out, they never want to do things the old way ever again on their next projects.

In most cases, the clients are actually bragging to their freinds and family when they come back about the fact that everything is inside this one little box... isn't it cool...

It has taken time... but I believe it's finally catching on... now, many people have told me that they kind of laugh when they go into a studio and see all the money spent on large consoles and racks of hardware... they actually feel bad for the owner and how much money has been wasted on all that stuff.

SAWStudio can change minds on all this stuff... step back and open your mind and some of the old ways can start to take on a pretty silly perspective next to what SAWStudio offers. Especially when you consider the price point for all that gear and cable to connect it, compared to a nice laptop and Hi-Res flat panel or two. :)

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
07-07-2004, 10:13 AM
That's just one world I see Bob speaking of....

You could easily say (and I suspect some people here may), well cubase can record on a laptop too! Well heh... Ive shown many people so far who are blown away by SawStudio. When you get past the idea of "more features = better software" and actually get to WORK it's night and day. Crashing for no reason? yes other software does it darn well... 72 STEREO tracks with eq/comp all over? um no. Honestly if you need pitch shifting, beat splicing, midi sequencing... there are programs that do it 100x better than the "all in one" tries like nuendo/samplitude/logic. I dont think anyone can even begin comparing melodyne to sequoia's new pitch shifting stuff.... melodyne blows it away. Heck, even some of the old atari sequencers are light years ahead of stuff in logic/nuendo... MWS is in many areas too.

When it comes down to a professional solution, there really is no comparison. Protools can do it, for about 30 grand... with lots of headaches along the way. SawStudio does it faster, better and MUCH cheaper. If what you need is an all in one, jack of all trades-maste of none package... there's certainly lots of options for you :) If you want to record music and do it damn well... well it's a no brainer :) Features-smeatures.... Ill take 2 programs that do their jobs better than anything over 1 software that does 2 jobs halfassed anyday. Even if it's 4x more for the first option.

Anyways... Only reason SAWStudio doesnt already dominate the market is the american mindset of quantity over quality.. more features is better, even if you never use half of them...you gotta have em. And that makes you superior :) I know that feeling and Ive seen many 1000s of people fall prey to it too... Ive noticed very quickly that people from cultures more focussed on work ethic are amazed by sawstudio. Almost every foreign person I've shown (german relatives, russian backgammon buddies, swedish musicians online) are way more impressed than the american counterparts... "yeah, you can run a session flawlessly.. but can you splice a drumbeat like this?" Well yes I can... Watch me open up melodyne or acid and... yeah. cubase aint so cool anymore is it?

when you're really down to getting stuff done, none of it matters anymore... at least till next time your bragging to your friends what you CAN "do" with your software... and I use the terms can do loosely...

I rather spend my time now bragging what I HAVE done with my software.

Been meaning to get that out...

matt
07-07-2004, 12:49 PM

Oz Nimbus
07-07-2004, 07:18 PM
The idea of using 10-15 feet of precious control room space and placing a giant slab of metal directly in the reflective path of your monitors is extremely old energy and actually un-impressive to me now that I have seen what SAWStudio brings to the table.

To me, SAWStudio on a large monitor or dual monitors, beautifully designed into a nice custom desk, with all the power and performance that it brings to the table is much more impressive to clients as far as being high-tech, than a huge console with rows of duplicated hardware dictating the design of the room itself.

SAWStudio can change minds on all this stuff... step back and open your mind and some of the old ways can start to take on a pretty silly perspective next to what SAWStudio offers. Especially when you consider the price point for all that gear and cable to connect it, compared to a nice laptop and Hi-Res flat panel or two. :)

Bob L

Amen Brother!!! I spent a good part of last year designing & building a new studio, and the whole idea was to make the desk as small as possible, that way giving a direct line to the monitors. I've gotta work on that "custom desk" idea, however, as the one I'm working on right now is an utter piece of crapola!!!

Anyway, I'm curious: what do you guys recommend in the way of flat-panel monitors? I'm looking for something around 19-20 inches, with super-fast pixel refresh rates..... Yes, I like to play a little UnrealTournament & Bf1942 in the off-hours.
:D

AudioAstronomer
07-07-2004, 07:45 PM
Top of the line gaming monitors are made by samsung.

they have a 21" model that is THE best model out in that range.

If you just want a good usable monitor, there was a brand Bob recommended that looked very nice... I never could buy one cause I cant find a reputable dealer..... :-\

Bob L
07-08-2004, 03:48 AM
The Planar 20.1 PL201M flat panel is great for the money, in my opinion. You can find them at dealers like Tiger Direct and others.

Just do a search on Google and you'll get all kinds of hits.

Bob L

Pedro Itriago
07-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Has anybody toyed about using dlp/lcd projectors???

Bob L
07-08-2004, 05:49 PM
To get native resolutions of 1280 or 1600 in a projector, you are still looking at about $10,000 or more... something tells me that isn't gonna fit the bill for most people. :)

The Planar I mentioned does 1600 x 1200 native and can be found for under $1000 now... if you are serious about flat panels with SAWStudio... it's a real good option.

Bob L

mghtx
07-08-2004, 11:46 PM
Before we moved to Texas my wife and I lived in middle Tennessee and she worked in Nashville for Harman International. They sell equipment to the big boys including the million dollar consoles. One day I got to see alot of this stuff and I remember thinking to myself, "why?" This was way before I knew about Saw.

I remember thinking "this is really cool and all but this ain't where it's at. The future is in that computer sitting on that desk over there." It's a mindset, a whole different way of thinking.